It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

hurtie0607 HB User
Medrol Pack - Has Anyone Taken This with Success?

Hi to all,
Well, I went to the Ortho today. He examined my previous MRI before my Micro-D. He told me my spines looks Ok. He does not thinks there was a reherniation. Nor does he think there is a lower, or higher herniation. However, he said " there might be a disc fragment which was missed - but it was unlikely." So,he also said if I do not improve by the end of the week I should make an appointment to see him again next Monday - and he would do the spinal injection at the hospital. He did give me a script for the Medrol Pak. I took the Medrol Pak when I had the sciatica disc herniation and it did absoultely zilch. My family doc even gave me an injection of cortisone that day too along with the pack and still nothing. The only thing that helped somewhat was the trips to the E.R for Morphine and heavy doses of Percocet.
My daughter called me when I stopped to get a bite to eat on my way home from the doctor. I wanted to take the dose before I got home. She recently miscarried her first baby and still has issues. In my haste to help her I took all 6 pills at once! I had to hurry home and take my Protonix, as I also have stomach problems. Anyway I felt great almost all day. I could sit again - Wow was that a plus no more standing - yipee. However, the steroid's anti-inflammatory properties now seem to be waning a bit - but I still have hope. I have 5 more days till I'm done. I hope soooo very much that this will work. My herniation had two big ouchies. The rim literally shot out landed under - and laterally displaced the nerve root. The disc material also was on the root so it was very very comperessed.
I wondered if anyone has had success with the Medrol Pack? I really dislike taking steroids, as they are so very powerful, but, hey, if it works I'll take it. This Medrol Pak does mess with me - I get insomonia ( which I already have- and seems to play with your thinking) - but I still am going to try it again, as now my nerve is decompressed - I hope.

Pepper, I wish you my prayers, peace and healing as your surgery date approaches.
Peace and Health to All - Kay

Heres a quote which I found to be comforting to all who are ill - emotionally - physically whatever: " If you are going to care about the fall of the sparrow, you can't pick and choose who is the sparrow. It's everbody."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Medrol Pack - Has Anyone Taken This with Success?

I hate them in general. I am willing always to take them. I don't know if they ever really worked, but hey, if it makes my doc happy then so be it. Atleast I tried, right? I haven't had one in a long time. If it works, symptoms should decrease over time, if not then you be sure to tell your doc so. The worst thing for me is the taste. They are so small that they often get stuck on my tongue, that makes me gag, then I puke and can't finish the pack (anxiety I guess). I even tried taking with pudding and uh, no. ANyway-Depends also on what the problem is as to if they'll work. I took mine for inflammation/spasms. But only have ever taken them three times-two for my back.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
(female)

FUNKYHEADGIRL HB User

Hi Hurtie,

I have taken the Medrol pack a few times when my Sciatica was acting up real bad. They were a life saver for me and I had results from them in 24 hours. But everyone reacts different to different meds, so who knows. Good Luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I have taken the Medrol dos pak a few times around surgery, and then several weeks ago after an acute exacerbation of my back pain. It did help, but it was very short lived. It makes me blow up like a balloon and I don't deflate back down for a few weeks.

Amy

Old 01-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
(male)

Porter107 HB User

I am on day 4 and have had no decrease in pain. I have had a increase of pain if anything. I hoped that this would do it.

Porter

Old 01-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Porter - I am so sorry that the steroids did not help you. I found that when I took them 1/2 the time they helped and the other half they did not. I pray that this pain is temporary and only a small set back in your recovery.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Hi! I have had these several times. They have helped me, but unfortunately the relief was short lived. I have found longer relief from the injections, since they target the problem area better. I hope your pack lasts longer! Take care, Kera4

Old 01-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
(male)

Porter107 HB User

I know it is way too soon to even think about "permenant nerve damage" but the way my luck is... Anyway, I will keep praying that it will go away soon. I cant even wear a sock on that foot because of the pain and walking on it is no fun eithier. Good news is that my back pain is feeling better as long as I do not bend .
Hey pepper I will be praying for a quick recovery for you, I read that you were going for surgery Thursday. I hope it all works out and you will soon be pain free.

Porter

Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I have had them a few times and every time they make me into a psycho so now I refuse.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
(female)

elmoJ_1974 HB User

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][/COLOR][/FONT]I took a medrol pack when I herniated L5-S1. I felt better by the 2nd day and when it was time to wean off the pain came back again. My hernioation was so bad I needed surgery so I guess it depends how bad off you are in order to see any results.

Last edited by elmoJ_1974; 01-31-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
(female)

hurtie0607 HB User

Hi folks,
Thanks for all your valuable input. Porter, I hope you feel better soon. I thought I might have permanent nerve damage, but now I don't think so, at least I hope not. Anyway regarding the Medrol Pak, I do feel so much better. The steriods make me feel like I'm wired! Wow, the energy they give you, and the pain has decreased dramatically. I only hope and pray that it stays away and never comes back. I am day 3. The steriods are not kind to my stomach, and I constantly take Tums and I have to take the Protonix. They also mess with your thinking. So I am glad I have reached the half way mark. I hope and pray I will be able to go back to work on the 26 of Feb. I have been off of work since Sept of 06.

So many miseries on this board, but so mcuh help and comfort. Seems like your writing to old friends at times. Hope and pray everyone is doing well, and if not at least finding comfort from the pain, and able to grab some good zzzz's at night.
God Bless Kay

Old 01-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
(male)

crookedback HB User

I found that grinding up 6-8 pills & then snorting in a line was the most effective for me... kidden!... sorry just took my vicoden!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: I've taken Medrol dose pack many times, and it helped some... I think the cortisone epidurals work better, but they don't last more than a couple of weeks, or at least that's how it was for me. I was told you can only have the Medrol 2 times in one year, and the epidurals are a series of 3 every 6-8 months.

Hope you get some relief!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

crooked, thanks for the laugh I needed that, came at just the right time.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
(male)

crookedback HB User

You're welcome... I have to admit, I am not real good on drugs... I get real loopy & silly then so sleepy... what a life this back pain creates... oh well... we gotta laugh a lil too!

Closed Thread