It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #16
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User
Re: Less stress on your back around the house

this really is a good thread !! I had spinal fusion 7 years ago and it was a success however I now am faced with a life long incurable problem with my spine. My surgeons say 'sorry this is what life has dealt you' . Constant pain, bending, walking, sitting or standing at any length throws my pain into 10 fold. However I did come up with a very good idea of how to shave my legs when I wasn't allowed to bend after my fusion and the way things are looking now I might be going back to it. After my surgery my hubby had to shave my legs below the knee because I wasn't allowed and couldn't bend. One day I was sittinghere (depressed and feeling helpless ) when I looked up at my window blinds and saw the 'pole' that you turn to open and close the blinds. Then I had this great idea come to me to 'duct tape' the 'pole' to my razor and VIOLA my short little handle razor had a very long handle. It was the highlight of my month !! I could shave my own legs and it felt great not to have to depend on someone to do it for me......

cost of pole.......................free
duct tape..........................$3.95
shaving my legs my self.....PRICELESS !!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Queenneeee For This Useful Post:
ag993 (10-26-2012), blueoceans (06-28-2012), Cymrudenver (08-27-2011), peps90436 (03-18-2012)
Old 02-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hello Again,
I have several grabbers. I have a few gophers for light duty and the more sturdy type as well. I have seen Gophers at Target. If you google for "Home Medical Supply" a lot of good options for this type of equipment will pop up. Dr. Leonard's is a favorite of mine.
I have several long-handled shoe horns. A muct fort me. But I did just what Queeneee did and turned one of them into a shaver using medical tape! My husband shaved my legs ONCE! He did a fine job but it shattered my nerves completely. Suzy-Q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

[QUOTE=yvette777;2795006]well my daughter is now trying to find the duct tape she says now she doesn't need to shave my legs post op [/QUOTE]

Hope she's making you a long handled razor and not planning to use the duct tape to give you a waxing!

I forgot about this tip. I did this a few weeks after surgery, but at 5 months post-op, I'm still using it. I couldn't reach low enough and didn't have the strength and leverage to get the bottom two dresser drawers open. We got a length of clothesline, about a foot and a half long, and tied one end to the next-to-the-bottom-drawer handle and put a big knot in the other end. I could use my grabber to get the rope to my hand. Holding onto the knot, I could easily get the drawer open. No more need to call someone else to put away laundry for me or get clothes out for me.

I didn't put one on the bottom drawer. Being so close to the floor, I was afraid the rope would lay too far out and become a hazzard. I don't need to trip! I only keep lesser used items in the bottom drawer anyway.

Hope this is useful to some of you.

~Emily

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 02-17-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #19
(female)

choppedeggs HB User

My mom has been reading alot on this site and i might have convinced her to register. She doen'st do muchcomputer stuff, but she's pretty smart and would get very hooked on this if she signed up. But she told me I should write on here about her wagon.

She loves to garden but it's very hard to carry anything around the yard. She has a large kiddy wagon that she uses for everything outside. Even for little things, she loads it in the wagon instead of carrying it. Even when she fills the bird feeders, instead of carrying the bag of bird seed to the feeders, she sticks it in the wagon and rolls around to them all. She says if it weren't for her wagon, she couldn't do anything outside anymore.

She also said this thread should be a sticky for the top of the page so people could keep adding to it and find it.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
(male)

whackybacky HB User

This is a very helpful strand. I had not purchased or tried many of these household tools until I read these messages. They are indeed just as good as you have stated and well worth their small cost.

I have often used a one-legged lean-over to pick up items from the floor. I am not as stable as I used to be, so I must be sure to be firmly holding onto some piece of furniture or a counter, but by putting my weight on one leg and letting the other leg swing in the opposite direction from my body as I lean over, thus keeping my body and the swinging leg as in a straight line, picking up items is much less work to the back. It sounds as though it would be more difficult, but if you try it, I think you will find it quite helpful. I have shown this to quite a few friends who have been pleasantly surprised.

Sincerely,
Louis

P.S. Blue Altas, as in Blue Atlas Spruce?

Last edited by whackybacky; 03-12-2007 at 06:28 AM.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I have the front loader washer machines with the drawers beneath them. My father came up with a wonderful idea. He took an old computer chair with rollers we had in the garage and he took off the back. My laundry basket can sit on this and I can push it with my hand - very light weight - when transferring or putting stuff in the washer or dryer.

We even thought that you could easily make a square box out of lumber and put rollers on the bottom to set the baskets on as well.

Dad made a shelf which 4 different laundry baskets (whites, darks, towels, and delicates) sit on about the same height of the rolling chair so they can easily be slid back and forth on them. When my family brings down the dirty laundry they can throw them in the correct basket.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]HI,
I would use my cell to contact family members on other levels of the house, we have the family share plan so it's no charge calls if it's member to member. It was very hard to shout so this did help the first two - four weeks after surgery.

Good Luck

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Last edited by mamakitkat; 03-15-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
(female)

klondyke26 HB User

Very helpful thread! I can share a few of my tips for those of us with wheelchairs. I sweep and mop from my chair. Just throw your brakes on and go for it. Unbrake, move, mop, etc. Also, I take a bungee cord to my laundry basket and the other end to my chair dragging it along the way.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #24
(female)

OnHold HB User

Loading silverware into the dishwasher - instead of struggling repeatedly to bend and put each piece of silverware in, just reach once to get the silverware basket, set it in the sink, load the silverware into it, and put it back in the dishwasher once your silverware is loaded.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #25
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User

Some great suggestions everyone! Standing over the sink to do dishes is a killer for me. I open the cabinet door below the sink and use the lowest shelf to alternately prop one foot, relieving much pressure.

For laundry, try the collapsible fabric laundry basket. It's especially great for carrying up and down stairs, as you can carry it at your side intead of in front, with the added bonus of being easier to store when not in use.

For the person who used a rope to open lower drawers, try adding a little more length to the rope and tying the other end to the top drawer knob. You won't need your grabbers to retrieve it from the floor, and no chance of tripping on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to AuntNanc For This Useful Post:
Grammie76 (07-01-2012)
Old 03-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #26
(female)

reluctant1 HB User

[QUOTE=AuntNanc;2866976]
For laundry, try the collapsible fabric laundry basket. It's especially great for carrying up and down stairs, as you can carry it at your side intead of in front, with the added bonus of being easier to store when not in use.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's not very elegant looking, but instead of carrying a laundry basket downstairs, I throw the load down the stairs. Not when company is present or looking of course. This works fine for me. The problem is that I can't use the same method to get the clothes back upstairs. I do carry them a few at a time, however.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #27
(female)

kleeko HB User

Interesting topic. Post fusion I thought I would get better rapidly. Sadly learned that my feet are paralyzed and I am proabably disabled for life. So stepping out of denial has led me to these preps for such a life. I no longer care if my coffee table is cluttered. I no longer take baths, just showers and I clean the shower while I'm in it. I use two canes around the house. I use a backpack instead of a good-looking purse. I use a swivel wheel buggy to cart everything back and forth to my car. The buggy aids my walking as well as my carrying. I buy cut flowers every week because they make me feel better. I, too, use everything swiffer! I buy the pre-measured dishwasher detergent so I don't have to lift the bottle. I use low-energy flat wall night lights around the apartment. Not bright, but welcoming. I added phone extensions (3) to my small apartment. No running for the phone. (Running! That's a laugh). I use a two-tray trolley cart to push things around on. I make sure I talk with my granddaughters EVERY DAY! I indulge in pedicures and reflexology regularly. I still go to work and I have learned to ask my friends for help and to say yes when they offer. And I remember that things could always be worse!

The following user gives a hug of support to kleeko:
Cymrudenver (08-27-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to kleeko For This Useful Post:
ag993 (10-26-2012)
Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #28
(female)

klondyke26 HB User

[QUOTE=reluctant1;2868966]I'm sure it's not very elegant looking, but instead of carrying a laundry basket downstairs, I throw the load down the stairs. Not when company is present or looking of course. This works fine for me. The problem is that I can't use the same method to get the clothes back upstairs. I do carry them a few at a time, however.[/QUOTE]

I ran some twine from the top of my stairs to the bottom. Fold your clean clothes and put them in a mesh hamper tied to the string at the bottom. When you get to the top you can pull the clothes up using the string. If it s too heavy for you then put a few less clothes in.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:03 AM   #29
(female)

cathyf911 HB User

For the laundry (I have a two story home with washer in the basement), the stairs can be bad enough so I use the nylon laundry bags with draw string at the top , kick it from one floor to the next and drag it bag up with the clean stuff.
Supper is usually self serve off the stove, found pans to be a lot lighter when they are empty

Cathy

Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #30
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

As far as the sweeping goes I've switched to those dust pans with the long handle so I no longer have to bend and as for sweeping and mopping, my PT taught me to bend at the knees and not put my back into it which helps a lot and my mop bucket has wheels and one of those things that wring the water from the mop head. Again, when I wring the mop out I bend at the knees. I still haven't mastered cleaning the tub yet.

Closed Thread