It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #31
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User
Question Re: Less stress on your back around the house

Can anyone recommend the best grabber and tell me where to get one?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #32
(female)

Re: Less stress on your back around the house

BlueAtlas, you are right about buying big and going small. I'm used to buying big bottles of fabric softeners and pre treaters for my clothes so I've poured them into smaller bottles and spray bottles that I can handle and keep them on the washer so they are always within reach. When it's time to refill them my husband does the honors for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #33
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User

[QUOTE=lilredsmom;2945378]Can anyone recommend the best grabber and tell me where to get one?[/QUOTE]

Oh I should get endorsed for my advertising of the 'grabber'. I recommend it even to people who don't have any health problems (just makes life simplier) I have had two in the last 7 years post fusion. It really doesn't matter the brand type. There are different prices but the normal price is around $9.95, anything higher is not worth it. They have them at Wal-mart, drug stores, even on line in many catalogs. Mine were both different types and brands and both were equally helpful. I couldn't do without mine. I use it to sort clothes out of the hampers and into bushels and then I actually load from my bushel to the washer with mine. The bending was a no win situation for me so they really are helpful. I use mine alot to pick things up around my house....pennies if on the floor, lint, candy wrappers etc., I have a family of 5 so you can imagine how much happens to be left on the carpets that no one seems to notice but Mom. I really think the 'grabber' is worth their weight in gold hope you invest in one real soon... take-care and happy reaching....

Old 04-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

[QUOTE=lilredsmom;2945378]Can anyone recommend the best grabber and tell me where to get one?[/QUOTE]

I tried The Gopher and found it disappointing. It wasn't nearly as strong or sturdy as the one I found at my local CVS. Mine is called the Multi-Pik and is by InvaCare. They had another one that was good, too, called the Golden Retriever, but I think the Multi-Pik is stronger. You can find good ones at a durable medical supply store, many pharmacies, and one person found hers in the yard tools section of the home-improvement store.

Another little tip that I put on the thread about tall people at short sinks and was told it was helpful: this is so simple that we don't even realize to do it, but if you stand with your feet about 3 feet or more apart, you'll lower your whole body and be able to reach things just a little lower without bending at all. My GP showed this to me years ago and I was amazed what a difference it made. I do this while washing dishes and while brushing my teeth. I'm also using Louis' tip all the time now about using one leg to swing out to balance as you lean over without bending your torso at all. By the way, Louis, yes, Blue Atlas as in Blue Atlas Spruce, my husband's favorite tree: tall and spindly with things poking out at weird angles. That's my spine!

Thanks for the great tips, folks! These have helped me so much!

Take it easy,
Emily

Old 04-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #35
(female)

tbeach HB User

I love the grabber 4109 by Sammons Preston Rolyan 1-800-323-5547 because:

It's convenient and has a magnet at the end which I find helpful. Perhaps they all have magnets and I'm not aware of them. The magnet helps me if I drop tiny pins or other metal objects. God bless you on your recovery!

The Following User Says Thank You to tbeach For This Useful Post:
Grammie76 (07-01-2012)
Old 04-27-2007, 03:15 AM   #36
(female)

I want to thank you all for your recommendations, I really love this board! I suggested it to a friend of mine who is post op and I hope I see her here. You guys are a big help! Again, thanks!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #37
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I just washed my sheets and realized another tip that I do without even thinking now. When I tuck the sheets in, I turn around backwards. It's much easier to tuck under a heavy mattress when you turn backwards, bend at the knees and keep your back straight, and tuck with a hand at each of your sides. If you're standing right at the mattress, you won't even have to reach back at all.

Making a good hospital corner is hard to get used to, but even if you just do the rest and tuck frontwards only for the corners, it'll be easier on your back.

I don't dread sheet washing day anymore!

Happy tucking,
Emily

Old 04-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #38
(female)

midd10 HB User

All good ideas! Here's my two cents:
- I use Oberweiss Dairy (don't know if they're everywhere) to deliver milk and all dairy products (plus more) right to my door - very easy, and my kids drink a lot of milk, so I'm glad not to have to carry all the gallon jugs home from the store. Also, I like the 1/2 gal glass bottles that the milk comes in - nice and light.
- Put your washer and dryer up on blocks, or you can buy something to have them sit on for many brands. Then you don't have to bend over to put stuff in and take it out.
Hope this helps -

Old 05-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #39
(female)

FireGirl57 HB User

Hello all! I have not had time yet to read through all of these, but I found a great one over the weekend that made cleaning the bathroom sooo much easier! The Mr. Clean magic reach. It comes with a pole attached to the cleaning end so you can stand up while cleaning the bathtub and surrounding tile. No bending or reaching needed! And it cleans well too. It was also great for getting behind the toilet without having to crawl on my hands and knees. I was still in pain when I was done, but not as much as before! Also, I bought one of those electric hard floor cleaners. It is a dry vac on one side and it flips over to a wet cleaner on the other. It was about $70, but well worth it. It weights about 10 lbs and is much easier on my back than sweeping and mopping. Does a great job too!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #40
(female)

chiapatchie HB User
Exclamation Re: Less stress on your back around the house

[B]"When I go grocery shopping, I make sure to put the cold things in one section in my trunk so that I only have to get them out immediately, and the other things can sit there either until I need them, feel like it, [/B]....!"

I wanted to add this about the COLD ITEMS...have all items that must be refrigerated/frozen put into DOUBLED PAPER BAGS about halfway up--you will want to fold the top down good!! Paper bags are excellent for insulating...your frozen things stay frozen and your other items will remain cold for a couple of hours, especially in hot weather. Tried and True method!!

The Following User Says Thank You to chiapatchie For This Useful Post:
Grammie76 (07-01-2012)
Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #41
(female)

Lori1975 HB User

[QUOTE=BlueAtlas;2948770]I just washed my sheets and realized another tip that I do without even thinking now. When I tuck the sheets in, I turn around backwards. It's much easier to tuck under a heavy mattress when you turn backwards, bend at the knees and keep your back straight, and tuck with a hand at each of your sides. If you're standing right at the mattress, you won't even have to reach back at all.

Making a good hospital corner is hard to get used to, but even if you just do the rest and tuck frontwards only for the corners, it'll be easier on your back.

I don't dread sheet washing day anymore!

Happy tucking,
Emily [/QUOTE]
Yes, that is a great idea. I usually bend at the knees and find that it makes making beds and other chores requiring bending much less stressful on the back. Thank you, Lori

Old 06-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #42
(female)

Lori1975 HB User

Hi Mama Kit Kat, I do the same thing. Instead of wandering up and down stairs or outside to locate a family member I just use my cell phone to find them. It helps a great deal. Wonderful idea. Lori

Old 06-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #43
(female)

Lori1975 HB User

[QUOTE=chiapatchie;2987267][B]"When I go grocery shopping, I make sure to put the cold things in one section in my trunk so that I only have to get them out immediately, and the other things can sit there either until I need them, feel like it, [/B]....!"

I wanted to add this about the COLD ITEMS...have all items that must be refrigerated/frozen put into DOUBLED PAPER BAGS about halfway up--you will want to fold the top down good!! Paper bags are excellent for insulating...your frozen things stay frozen and your other items will remain cold for a couple of hours, especially in hot weather. Tried and True method!! [/QUOTE]
Yes, another good idea is to carry a large cooler in the trunk of your car in case you have no help or are just too exhausted to carry in the things once you get home and are tired from the grocery store's hard floors. Lori

Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #44
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: I just thought I would tell you about a topical analgesic that I really like that I've used for about 40 years ( I'm old) I still like BioFreeze, but I think this other gel works better and last longer. It's a horse linament, so you have to buy it at a tack store (horse store). It's called BigelOil or Gel and works really well. It also comes in a spray but I haven't tried that yet. Growing up my mother used this on my legs when I had those bad charlie horses from growing pains, and I've continued to use it. It's mostly menthol based, so it does smell strong, but the relief in pain is worth the small problem of smell. If you like the smell of menthol then it won't bother you.

Try it if you want, it last's much longer than the OTC sprays and gels that you get at the drug/grocery stores. If it works for horses it should work real well on us ROFL. It gives a very pleasant cool feeling that temporarily numbs the area you apply it to. I forgot to mention that it actually reduces swelling as well which really surprised me, since the others usually don't do that. I've been using it on nerve, bone, and muscle pain from my back and on my joints for RA. Good Luck...

HTH

Last edited by DesertBloom; 06-11-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #45
(female)

And yet there is another called China Gel that is worth it's weight it gold! A little goes a long way! I use it for headaches as well messaging it to the sore trigger points on my head and it's non greasy but it does have THAT scent!. I did have a question, Dietpepper had told me that there is a stickie for Pre Op and Post Op, obviously found the Post Op but can't find the Pre Op!

The Following User Says Thank You to lilredsmom For This Useful Post:
Grammie76 (07-01-2012)
Closed Thread