It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #46
(female)

GracefulOne HB User
Re: Less stress on your back around the house

This thread is ever so helpful!

How to 'water' your dog...I have two Vizsla's and they each have a dual bowl caddy on the floor...however...they drink alot of water! It's very hard for me to bend over and pick up the water bowls so...I fill up the coffee pot with water from the tap and pour from a standing position...takes a while to get your aim correct but it's a heck of alot easier than bending over 8 times a day to pick up the bowls! Good thing I don't drink coffee all that much anymore!

Secondly, luckily my husband vaccums most of the time but I highly recommend investing in an Oreck Vaccum Cleaner. They are a little pricey but only weigh a few pounds and anytime you have to service it they can actually fix it really cheaply (I've got a new brush, cord, etc. and never spent more than about $30). My parents first had one and then I got their hand-me-down years ago...let me tell you...it's worth it's weight in dirt! My Mom can even use it in her wheelchair it is so light!

Laundry is alot easier with a front load washer on the pedastles - I can just reach in and transfer - no bending!

Lastly, I thank God I have toes like a monkey! It's taken some practice but I can pretty much pick up anything with my toes...pills that fall off the counter...paper...dryer sheets...hey...it's not that great of a talent but at least it keeps me from bending over!

L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy (9/06)
L4/L5 Hemilaminectomy (11/06)
L4/5 L5/S1 Posterior Interbody Lumbar Fusion with Instrumentation (1/07)

Old 08-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #47
Inactive
(female)

margsee HB User

Hi all - try getting a freestanding toilet paper holder. You can place it where-ever so that there's no reaching or twisting, which we must all avoid at all times! Plus they're cute & easy to change rolls.

Tuck a lightweight nylon jacket around your drivers' seat. That way you can sit back down into the the seat & then smoothly swivel into driving position - less drag on your pants & torque on your back.

Sleep in silky jammies - you can do the same thing getting in and out of bed as with the drivers' seat. Further, you can move around more easily as you shift in bed, so you may be less likely to a.) hurt yourself, and b.) wake up while shifting (translation: better rest!).

Get a recliner!!! Couches and fixed chairs don't let you find a personalized resting position. You want one that tilts back at varying degrees both on the back and the foot rest.

I trained my dog to sit still on the deck while I stand in front of him, at a lower level on the pavement when I'm putting on his leash & collar to walk him. The sit and stay command does it!

I duct taped a flat throw pillow to the low part of my desk chair for good lumbar support.

Were good walking shoes - always. Bare feet and weird heels and flip flops are bad news for us back sufferers.

Good health to all!
LL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #48
(female)

anniemike HB User

I am so happy to find this post and also this forum. this was the first thing that came up when I did a search for back pain forums. I use a long armed retriever as I call it to pick up things, especially stuff out of the dryer.

My computer is stacked so I can reach it standing up.

I have a kitchen timer so I don't stand or sit beyond a certain amount of time though I have a very hard time adhering to it.

I am so lonely with this problem. Hopefully there is a post for the loneliness that comes from chronic pain and not being able to go out much.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #49
(male)

bigdavecapo HB User
Red face Re: Less stress on your back around the house

Don't be lazy! Be active! If you lie around your muscles will tense up. I have 2 herniated disks. I'm getting along just fine with work and my daily activities.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #50
(female)

Puddin HB User

Wheels are helpful. I have recently purchased a little utility cart which has three wire drawers with a wooden top. I can gather up out-of-place things from around the house and wheel them where they need to go. Or, if I'm working on a project, I can use it to take the "stuff" where I want to work on it. I also purchased a two-wheeled dolly which is very light-weight and is capable of carrying up to 150 lbs. I can use a bungie cord to secure whatever to it and wheel heavier stuff quite easily.

Last edited by Puddin; 12-30-2007 at 10:34 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Puddin For This Useful Post:
Grammie76 (07-01-2012)
Old 12-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #51
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Thanks very much for your post, puddin!

I now keep a little rolling luggage rack in my car with a small empty box on it. It's tiny and light and fits nicely right behind the driver's seat. Whenever I have things I need to transport, like packages to the post office, I put them in the car one at a time, so it's not a heavy load, then when I get where I need to be, I take out the luggage rack with its empty box, put the stuff in it one thing at a time, and then once I'm in the place, unload one item at a time. No more carrying a load! Takes a lot longer, but I don't hurt myself! (I guess we get MORE exercise sometimes, just because it takes so long to do things!) This would work well in the house, too, but I love your idea of the rolling cart with drawers!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #52
(female)

Puddin HB User

Just thought of something else I've got. No idea what to call it, but it's made of durable plastic, collapses to about 18"x18" square and 2" wide. Two wheels and a handle with a decent length to it. Golly, can you possibly visualize what I'm talking about? <g> Comes in handy when I've been to the store and nobody's home to help. No idea where I got it. I run across things sometimes when I'm just wandering about.

Last edited by Puddin; 12-25-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #53
(female)

mony22 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Less stress on your back around the house

Hi everyone Happy New Year to you all. I am a newbe to this forum and have been reading many of your wonderful ideas.
I have had two back surgeries and have been left with nerve root impingement. My left foot has very little feeling in it and also my left leg on the one side, i am in continual pain and take many different meds. I am always looking for ways to make life easier for me to get around. I have a wonderful husband that helps me alot and thinks up great ideas. One of them i would like to share with you today. In our laundry room I could no longer bend over to sort the laundry, my husband observed this, the room is small so no room for tables,stools on floor. Across from the washing machine he made a custom cupboard as high as I could reach and as deep as was possible, he put a drawer in the bottom for storage and a door on the top that pulls forward and each side is supported with a chain, when door is down you can take out what ever color wash you want to do. The door is then closed and kept closed by two good magnets, the top of the cupboard has been cut open to an oval shape, so i can throw dirty laundry in. The room is on the main floor, I do not think this would work for a large family, we only have one of our sons still living at home. I do a wash every other day, it works out well. Many people have seen this cupboard and have commented about it's usefulness for disabled people. Also I am tall and have awful trouble getting up from low seats. My husband once again turned our couch upside down and screwed 2by4s (for solid support)around the base of the couch, drilling holes for the longer legs that we purchased to make the couch higher. I am not a light person and the extensions that one can purchase in a medical supply shop are defiantly not for heavier people, done it, been there nearly ended up on the floor lol. I hope some of you find this info. useful, I am in my mid 50s and I never thought I would be afraid of falling down, tripping which i have done several times and thinking ahead of every move I do before I do it so i do not hurt myself. But hey i can still drive my car and visit my friends. God Be with you all.

The Following User Says Thank You to mony22 For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (08-19-2012)
Old 01-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #54
(female)

jude52 HB User

Thanks for the information, Emily. I have been left without too much information as to what I can and can't do. I was wondering why my back was so painful after cleaning. I had no idea vacuuming was a no-no.

I have been feeling pretty helpless and useless. I have decided I must be proactive and will now do the exercises I have found posted religiously. Have you found any help with Chiropractors or Medical Doctors? I just don't know where to go or who to believe. I am just beginning my journey, so I would appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks,

Jude

Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 AM   #55
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

If you can afford it, Roomba could be a big help. But you'd need to get the one with the docking station and best to have someone else pick it up to empty it out.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #56
(female)

chelle39 HB User

Hi, I am also new to this site I had a 2 level infusion & a decompression done by a discectomy. My pain is worse now than it was before, I am also feeling very frusterated cause going from a wife, mother, & friend that did everything for everyone else to not being able to do much at all. tried to go back to work as a cook and that didn't last long. I am unable to stand to sit for long periods at a time! am also on a lot of meds that make me fell fuzzy and have no memory at all! Just want to konw how long recovery takes it has been 4 months and I stay at the same level that i at before but am more disfunctionable. when i drive can't step on the brake to fast without massive pain or cough or sneeze for that matter!! Things could be worse I guess!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-19-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: please delete huge quotes or use the quick reply button instead

Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #57
(female)

tsclark HB User

hi,
lay on your stomach with a pillow under chest -- can't hurt ya -- see if you feel better. I usually watch tv this way (okay, I am always in this position since my physical therapist wants me in that position at all times) so my spine is in extension. Whatever you do, don't sit on the couch or overstuffed furniture. Get a lordosis pillow. Try not to sit at all if you can. It's not easy, it may take a long time, but maybe one of these days, I'll wake up and feel like I did when I was normal and I hope you all feel that way!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #58
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Hey there, i ran across this threa and thought it was great! Did anyone have any more ideas on the laundri and being downstairs? My hubby is supposed to move it all upstairs soon, but in the meantime he is working and now my son starts tommorrow i have four other children but it's hard to get them to follow through on thier chores especiallywhen dads gone and even when they do it's not right but i give them and A for effort, but like if i tell them socks need to be done they will like throw five mismatch pair in a some other clothes and call it good. Yes hubby does some as well but he also works all day and or you forget cause your too busy doing the rest and until theres nothing clean and thats easy with a house of seven. I am thinking if this works i can keep all the dirty laundry upstairs and sort it and have them take a load down as it is. Does this sound workable? I don't know what else to do! It's also a struggle with my one son who is BP to get the dishes done on his day even if theres a reward ect. but some days i cannot stand long enough to them for him nd i'm pretty happy with that as long as hes going to school and staying out of trouble. Yes i know i could get a dishwasher and actually have one but i don't even know if it works because i got it on pickup from the neighbor and it's not hooked up and trying to get my hubby motivated on that end is a chore itself! Any suggestion please let me know!
Love, Monkey

Closed Thread