It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
(female)

olliedoll HB User
Sex after back surgery

Okay, this is a tad embarrasing but it has to be discussed.... Those of you who have had fusions, how long did it take until you were able to have sex again? The info that my doc office gave me said I could once I was comfortable enough to try. That doesn't help a lot. So, I'm wondering how long will it be before I can be active again. Any info will be GREATLY appreciated. My bf and I do plan on discussing this with my doc on Wed. Just wanted ya'lls opinion.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: Sex after back surgery

I tried at 3 months but it was a little rough on the back if you know what I mean.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Shawley
I agree when I get to a point where my back is better I will feel like a kid again. I won't know what to do. My poor hubby is so patient. We don't even talk about it anymore. Funny how your back can rule your life.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]We did "it" at about 4 months. Man, that wasn't a whole bunch of fun.... when you get fused, you find out how much you used your back in ways you had no idea of......

you will have to find some clever ways of moving...

My poor hubby....it's the last thing that I wanted to do....[/COLOR]

Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

I think it was only 2 weeks after my C4-5 ACDF in November before we were active again. To be honest, I really was wanting to give it a go. I'd had severe cervical stenosis and I was curious if there would be any sensation changes once that pressure had been relieved from my spinal cord. Not that things were bad in that department before the surgery, but it had crossed my mind that as a little side benefit things might even been better! Alas, I really didn't notice a difference.

There are so many different ways to physically express love between two adults that I would think there would be some way to successfully resume your love life as soon as you have an interest in it again. But because your body may be a bit different now in its needs and functions than it was before surgery, you may need to experiment and find new techniques if old favorites don't work so well. In addition to trying new positions or techniques, there is a whole world out there of adult aids that truly could be thought of as adaptive equipment for people with bad backs, arthritis, etc... If you are comfortable enough to try them, they can help get the job done for both partners while keeping the exertion level comfortable for the partner with the pain issue. Where there is a will, and an open mind, there is a way!
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

my doc said 6 weeks. the most comfortable position should be used, both partners on their side facing one another was mentioned as probably being the best bet.

as with everything else, pain is your main guide in this.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Let me add another thought. There may be some of you out there that although you might physically be able to figure out a way to get the job done so to speak, you just don't feel like it. Or there may be others that despite their best tries are unable to finish the job. Some of the medications that are used to treat chronic pain can have an effect on sexual desire and performance. If you think you might fall into this category of patient, summon up the courage to talk to you doctor about it. There are other choices that can be made in medications that could prove helpful, but first your doctor has to know there is a problem.

Get everything you can out of your life! Its too short not to. Because so much of your sex life actually occurs between your ears rather than between your legs, your attitude can really compensate for physical difficulties you may be experiencing. Be willing to seek out any help you may need from your doctor, then find ways to make your sex life good for you and your partner.

Good Luck everyone!
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
(female)

cherish1 HB User

We did at 3.5 weeks and again at 4.5 weeks. We used the spooning position holding my back straight and tightening my core muscles and it went well. I have definitely noticed an imiprovement in "success" since my nerves are no longer impinged. I am now 6.5 weeks post 360 PLIF at L5-S1.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
(female)

olliedoll HB User

We tried it at 7 weeks post op with me on all fours (eek, embarrasing) and it didn't seem to bother me. I just wanted to know if we were taking a huge risk or if everything was safe as long as we are safe and slow. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

You might want to ask your doctor to be more specific for you, as he knows exactly what your back was like and what he did during the surgery. My doctor told us to wait 6 weeks and that at that point I should only be flat and on the bottom and that my husband should do most of the "work." But depending on what your situation is, other positions might be better for you. It might be a little embarrassing to ask, but your doctor probably won't even bat an eye. They get these questions all the time, and it's part of life, so you need to know.

You don't want to hurt yourself doing anything that you shouldn't.

Best wishes
Emily

Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
(female)

Nikirae HB User

haha Dietdrpepper good for you!!! I am with the "What's that" crowd as well. I could not have sex before my surgery, and there is still no way I am wanting to try it..at 3 months post op from 2 lvl fusion. My poor boyfriend as been an angel thru it all...I am so lucky he is such an understanding person about the entire thing. And him being an over the road truck driver and not being home 4 days a week helps I guess. lol...All that a side, my doc told me when I felt I was ready, go for it...

/hugs Niki

Old 02-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
(female)

sheri42 HB User

2.5 weeks [removed]
Sheri

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-09-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

In reply to meds and sex drive, I take 3 major meds and each screws up the sex drive. It's not easy.

Last edited by hessie28; 02-06-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add to thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
(female)

olliedoll HB User

When I went to the doc yesterday I asked about the sex thing. He said whenever I feel ready to go for it. I had my bF go with me so that he would hear first hand what the doc said and know that he is not going to break me. We were also given a pamphlet (lol) on safe ways to do it. I am grateful for the information because it is helpful but it's just funny. That's was the joke of the day between my bf and I. Just thought I would throw that in the pile. Talk to you all later.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Good Thread........

I was told 8 weeks but had it at 3 months. Scary, I was afraid he was gonna break me...lol It was actually ok.

I would say try and be careful. Try different ways and see what works for you.

Good luck to everyone thinking of having "SEX" tonight.... lol

Bernie

Closed Thread