It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User
News from Suzy-Q - Fusing!

Hello To One and All,
I have missed you. I saw my NS in Boston on Tuesday and I am defintely fusing. I knew it because I have been feeling the improvement in strength and lessening of pain. Of course, the trick is for this to last. I had fusion bone growing at this time after my first fusion attempt and then it just went south and I got much worse and we finally learned that all my fusion bone had disappeared. So, I am thrilled but I remain cautiously optimistic.
The last few months have been terrible due to other health problems (cervical herniation, vertigo, nausea, intense hip and leg pain) for which I still have no clear diagnosis. I do know what is making all of these symptoms abate though - high doses of Motrin. My NS is fine with me taking Motrin now as he says at 6 month post-op there is no danger to my fusion. Believe me, I have counted the cost! But I can't do without the meds. Just two weeks ago I had to leave the grocery store in tears with throbbing pain in my legs. Today, I am pain free. So, I have a remedy but maybe not a cure. A few folks have told me they have been taking 1800-2400 mg/day of Motrin for 20 years and no problems. One of them turns out to be my sister! I was shocked. She tells me she has never had any idea (despite tests) why but she just can't function without it. And yet, my NS made me agree to see a Rheumy in May if the symtpoms return when I come off of Motrin. I also agree to teper down as low as possible in the meantime. I agreed. I also feel the Motrin is only masking an on-going issue. And it is obviously an inflammatory problem. But I have been tested for 2 months now and all results are normal. I don't know what else to do. So, it is Motrin for me -for now.
So, I am feeling my old self again and I am enjoying catching up with your stories. It is good to be back here on the best board! Suzy-Q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
(female)

chebird HB User
Re: News from Suzy-Q - Fusing!

Suzy-Q - Congratulations!!!! You sound great. I, too, know people who are on large doses of ibuprofen with no ill affects. Better than the narcotics. Keep up the good work!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hi Suzy-Q,
So good to hear your fusing, yippee!!!!! I"m so so happy for you. I"m also sorry your having the other issues, I'm sure it will work itself out for you. Welcome back!!! I've missed your posts. I look forward to many more to come.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Suzy-Q,

I am soooooo glad that your fusing!!! That is so wonderful. YES, you have been greatly missed.

I do hope that everything else will stay calmed down with the motrin. After chatting with you on the other board, I've begun taking the ibuprofen 800's again. They give me some relief, of course not all. But I'll take what I can get, if you know what I mean.

Since there's no fusing in the back going on, it can't hurt taking it, plus it's been over two years since surgery.

Please continue to stay with this board, we need your inspiration and help!!

Take care and keep us updated on how your doing.

Bernie

Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="3"]
Suzy-Q that is the most awsome news of the day , congrats it couldn't happen to a better person . I wish you luck the rest of the way .

Maybe your hip /leg pain could be from scar tissue ? Lets just pray thats all it is and your going to be a new person [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 02-09-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Awesome news you are fusing!!!! I wish you the best in your continued recovery!!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Thank so much for the warm welcome. It is so good to be back here. I still have some catching up to do but I have been lurking all along. And even if I am feeling better these past two weeks (I just can't express the difference in how much better), I am still a back patient. I will have to decide on whether I will have a next epidural in my cervical spine or maybe facet blocks would be better? I still have nighttime positional pain, too. But I am really trying to enjoy the improvements.

From my scans and xrays, my NS tells me I have a 'good' amount of fusion bone in the intervetebral space (disk space) at L4-5 and 'some' fusion bone in the posteriolateral gutters. But the fusion is not solid as yet. Once again, I am to try backing off of the neurontin (now down to 1800 mg/day from 3600) just to test the waters. I have had tons of nerve pain in my legs but suddenly I don't have any at all. The wonders of Motrin.

Well, I am babbling here. Have a good night. Suzy-Q

Old 02-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi there Suzy! I find it interesting about this motrin. My doctor again told me today no advil, motrin, aleve, etc. I can't wait to follow you story...please keep posting your outcome. Congratulations.

Last edited by ms_west; 02-09-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Woooo Hooooo Great News

Good luck you will be in my prayers.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hello,
I should be more clear about the Motrin. I am well aware of the controversy over its effects on fusion. I took the max dose all through my first fusion surgery on the surgeon's orders. I had no idea there even was an issue until I read about it here. Well, that surgeon disagreed that NSAIDs could interfere with fusion. But I didn't fuse! So, I haven't touched the stuff. My NS (new surgeon) told me I could start taking it at 6 months post-revision fusion. It was my idea to try taking the large dose to see if it helped my several symptoms that no doc can figure out but that all agree are not related to either my lower or cervical spine problems. And it seems to be the charm.
I already have backed the dose down to 1800 mg but, sure enough, I am having increased pain already. So far I have no stomach pains so I am not overly concerned. I will be speaking to my GP to see if they want to Rx me some stomach protecting meds or maybe try me on Celebrex. You probably know that there are trade offs with those Cox-2 NSAIDs as well.
I am enjoying another day of feeling pretty dang good. If this keeps up I might be able to get back in the pool on work mornings and shift a few unwanted pounds off my aching back! Suzy-Q

Old 02-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Suzy,

I am so glad that your continuing to have some good days!! God only knows (well us too) how much you need them.

The ibuprofen is still helping me, but I'm only taking 800mg a day now.

I'll be praying for you to have Continued painless days. Take care,

Bernie

Old 02-11-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Talking Re: News from Suzy-Q - Fusing!

Hello Suzy-Q...It is wonderful to come back to the board and see a great thing happening to an old friend. I am very happy for you. I came to the board to post a question and saw your name and was thrilled for you. Keep up the good work!

Lorie

Last edited by lfoster21; 02-11-2007 at 03:30 AM.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:20 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hey Lori,

I have been wondering alot about you lately. How have you been? How's your fusion? It's nice to see you back. Like Suzy-Q you as well have so much to offer here and have been missed!! I'm hoping that you haven't been around because your doing great.

Take care, Bernie

Old 02-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

Thanks for asking, but unfortunately I have not been around due to the difficulty with sitting and I do my portion of sitting, bending etc. at work and by mid day, I am not in any shape to concentrate or to write. I will start a thread to get you up to date, so that I don't go off subject here.

Thanks for thinking about me...you all come across my mind often.

Lorie

Closed Thread