It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Thought I was on the road to less pain.

Well I was feeling pretty good the past few days. No heating pad. No Percocet. I thought maybe recovery was taking a turn for the better. Then bam, last night horrible pain. Woke up in horrible pain. Today have the Tens machine going all day. Heating pad and meds again. I hate these set backs. The X-Ray shows it looks good. Not fusing fast though. Guess that is where the pain comes in. Usually just have muscle pain. Now it all hurts. Even have pain in my calf which I haven't had in a long time. Don't know where the calf pain comes from. I thought that was disc related. But with the disc gone, why the pain? I know they said I had the nerve pain for so long that it could be permanent but it felt like it was all but gone. It is going on 5 months since surgery. When do I start feeling better and keep on going? Three pain free days per month doesn't cut it. I just realized I am being weaned off the Neurontin. Maybe that is why the pain is worse. Who knows.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User
Re: Thought I was on the road to less pain.

Gosh I am so sorry. This must be the week-end for pain. Hopefully you will feel better tomorrow. The pain really has no rhyme or reason and just hits full force.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take it easy and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hessie, I feel so bad for you. You're in my prayers! Do you think they'd stop tapering the Neurontin to see if that makes a difference? Is there a reason for you to get off it, other than it just seemed like it was time?

Have the heating pad and pain meds helped today? I'm really hoping that this is just one of those downs for a day or two, and that you'll head back into an up time quickly. I think you had your surgery just about 2 weeks before me. I still have good and bad days, too, but not as extreme as what you're going through.

Don't lose hope! You've come a long way! You've had so many different problems, and you always think about your family and worry about your sweet son and the effect on him of all your problems. I hope your husband and son are understanding your pain and are loving you well! Your back buddies will be here rooting for you, too! You hang in there, and please let us all know how you're doing in the morning. I hope you can get some sleep tonight.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 02-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I don't want to bring you down but my doctor told me that I could expect to have up and down days up to 6 months to 12 months after surgery. It is part of the healing process.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hessie,

I'm so sorry that your experiencing this pain again. I like Emily am wondering if the decrease in the Neurontin is bringing back the pain? I have been pretty lucky so far, I've weaned off of it and am doing okay. I still have pain in the legs and back, but you know the difference between the bad burning, foot and calf pain when it's nerve.

I'm a little over two years post op, and took the neurontin for about 17(?) months before being able to wean off.

I sure hope that your just having a little recovery irritance and nothing major. I'll be praying for you. Take care and please let us know what your dr. says.

Bernie

Old 02-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The Neurontin is causing my body to swell. Can't even move my wedding ring. I've been on it since the summer but in December the Dr. doubled the dose to 1800mg. Since then I've been in alot of pain and gained weight. My primary doesn't think it is really helping anyway. Once I'm off she will see about giving me something else. You have to wean yourself off. I'm down to 900mg per day. I know they said they pain could last a year. It's just that when you have good days you think they are wrong. My husband and son are okay. I'm doing alot around the house. My husband does the laundry and kitchen stuff. I keep bending by accident to clean etc. They could do more around the house but my son is playing on two basketball teams and it takes alot of time up. Plus he is a teenager so I guess I am lucky he talks to me. LOL My primary put me on an anti-depressant because she felt all my pain was maybe some depression. I took it two weeks and told her I wanted off. I told her I didn't need it and it gave me horrible heartburn. She agreed. I have documentation to back up every claim of pain. Sad to say but it's true. I fired my physical therapy dr. I lost respect for her because of her attitude toward my elbow injury. She told me it was work related as did the previous dr. She put me out of work in the summer because they would not fix my work station. Nothing but notes about it. She refuses to put it in writing that per my history given it is work related. She implied I was a liar. I have a workman comp suit going for the elbow. I need surgery on the elbow next if the back pain ever goes away. So I can't see a dr. I don't respect anymore. She is part of my primary's group. My primary said off the record that she is young and needs to learn how to talk to people. There is no reason she could not back up everything in writing. So my primary will monitor all my meds. If there is a problem she will send me to another dr. Also having palpitations from my Narcolepsy meds. She lowered it a dose. I see the Neurologist this week. Hard to believe I'm only 42. Thanks everyone for the responses. If anyone knows what I am going through it is you guys.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Gosh Hessie, I'm so sorry that your having to go through all of this. I would have fired her as well. Young doesn't give you a right to be rude, stupid and wrong!! I've heard of other dr.s saying things and then when it comes time to put in writing, its the same thing, they won't! Thats just wrong, we trust these people with our lives, and if what their saying, they won't back up, then what are we left with. Makes you wonder huh.

I have heard that Neurontin causes weight gain, ect. and I have put on a few pounds do to all of my problems as well, but thats just it, I assumed it was from not working ect. But, now that you've mentioned your wedding rings....... mine turn all the time now, and before there were lots of times, I couldn't budge them.

Hopefully your dr. can get you on something that will work with your other meds, and for your pain as well. Take care and good luck with the new meds.

Bernie

Old 02-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Bernie. I know the weight gain is also because I eat more and don't move as much. It's all a bad combination. As far as the dr. putting in writing, the lawyer said that she only had to say something like "as per the history given by the patient it was caused by work". She wouldn't even do that. The receptionist, therapist and primary were not surprised at all when I said I refuse to see the dr. anymore. That spoke volumes. I told my primary that the physical therapy dr. should have been a surgeon because that is the personality she has. She is good. But, it takes more then good to be a great dr.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][SIZE="3"]
Hessie I'm so sorry your not getting any relief , I had 3 surgeries and I think everyonei had different nerve pain and damage. Guess you have to expect it ,i just pray one day I can walk up my lane without hurting again it really hurts me , i used to be an advid outdoors men , I joined the US ARMED forces so I could live and hike ect..ect.. in the woods. I did it for 8 years and got out when desert storm started , my wife made me give it up. Maybe your pain will go away , it's been only 5 months ?
I'll be praying for your relief [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Hessie
I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I know the feeling of trying to go on with life and in pain. I also have a teenager she really is so sweet but my pain does affect her life also. She was selected to particapate in Miss Teen Wyoming so I am more determined then ever to get better. I am also in my 40's and feel that I am in my 90's.

I will have you in my prayers and thoughts. I sure hope you get to feeling better and get the Dr. thing strenghted out. You are right about trusting the Dr.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

I totally agree Hessie about the being good means nothing, compared to being a great Dr. If theres no bed side manner, then I don't want that person working on me. Their strong headedness, ego and lack of compassion could jepordize my surgery/treatment. You know because they "know it all".

Anyway, I hope your having a better day today!! Take care, Bernie

Closed Thread