It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User
Exclamation new and scared..please help...

Long story short. I've been involved in 5 car accidents over the last 20 years. Four of them were from the rear when sitting at traffic lights or in traffic. One resulted in avascular necrosis of the left hip which was addressed by having a bone graft done from my lower left leg. So far, this has held up, it continues to be viable. All of the accidents have traumatized the c-spine, caused upper back problems and neck problems to include severe headaches. The latest accident happened in July 06. Instantly the familiar burning sensation began in the upper back and neck. I've been seeing a phisio md since for trigger point injections, accupuncture and deep tissue massage. The reason I am posting here and now is because initially after the accident there was a strange sensation in my lower back, but it didn't seem signigificant compared to the neck and upper back. On January 31,st my lower back began to ache. Like a pressure ache. I didn't say anything to anyone because I figured the weekend is coming, I'll just take it easy and this will go away. WRONG...each day the intensity of the pain has increased and changed. The last day I've worked was Feb. 5th. I saw the PA at the ortho. I was scheduled to have an MRI on Feb. 27th. On Feb. 7th, the pain was so bad that my husband rushed me to the er where they gave me a morphine injection. I am taking percocet, skelaxin, phenergen for nausia, and two other meds, one for nerve pain and the other ?. The MRI was moved up to Feb. 8th. It revealed a large herniation at L2 L3, a possible annular tear at L5 S1, no caudia geuina ... This is the absolute worst pain I've ever had, even worse than the pain of a dying femor head in my left hip. It is a pressure ache pain in the lower back on both sides of the spine, more on right. Butt pain, Right hip pain on the outside, on the inside is the same pressure ache pain like in the lower back. Inside the right thigh, really bad on the outside right thigh both sides to the knee. Below the knee is loss of sensation, numbness, no foot pain, thank God. And there is considerable leg weakness, I can't lift off on the right leg to climb the stairs or step off a curb without feeling like I will fall. Getting dressed below the waist is a long labor of pain. This is while taking all of the meds listed above every four hours. I haven't lost bladder control, but when I have to go, I really have to go, sometimes I don't even make it to the toilet seat before the stream begins. There is also an increased problem with bowel movements; lots of pain when trying to have one, sure that the pain meds may be backing up the plumbing a bit. Sitting on the toilet is becoming a fear, let alone trying to do the paperwork afterwords. I hope the previous discription wasn't too graphic. It is extremely painful for the right hip, right thigh and lower back during and afterwards. Sitting, lying either out right or inclined, both with pillow under right knee, standing, and walking are all irritants to the pain and discomfort. I will be seeing the ortho surgeon on Tues. Feb. 20th. Anyone been here? What happens next?

Last edited by ustalaughalot; 02-16-2007 at 11:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User
Re: new and scared..please help...

Usta
Welcome to the back pain forum. You will find alot of knowledgable people here. Not because of any profession but because we all suffer from back pain. Most of everyone is suffering from lower back pain.

I can tell you that each Dr. has their own course of treatment. Most Dr.'s like to treat the lower back pain with conservative treatment first such as injections with flourascope (live x-ray) and physical therapy.

Surgery should always be your last consideration.

I have chronic low back pain. I have suffered back pain off and on for years however about 1 year ago this pain decided to hang around and not go away. I must say that it is totally uninvited as chronic pain is the worst to have. I used to think ok after a couple of days of rest the pain would go away.

I do believe that living with Chronic pain makes us stronger however it is a struggle to get thru a day of somewhat normal activities.

I take it that you have not gone back to work yet so at least you can take it easy. I would wait and see what your Dr. has in store for you.

Good luck
Sandy

Old 02-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Ditto to what Sandy said. Welcome. You may be in for more conservative treatments such as for your C-spine. As Sandy said, surgery is a last resort. The fact you have been on the stated medications for your C-spine, might be enough to tell them the pain/nerve meds aren't working. They might try injecting those areas to see if it helps along with medication and maybe even try physical therapy. It is really hard to say. And if that fails, it's possible you are looking at surgery.

Losing mobility in your legs is a big deal. And most of us have had the washroom issues at some point or even worse for some. This is no fun at all and not something I would even wish on a mortal enemy if I had one. As morbid as this sounds.. you are not alone.

Please come back and join us and we will do our best to support you as we do for all of us on here. We are just people like yourself sharing caring and supporting each other.

Hang in there and let us know how the doc appointment goes. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 02-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Thanks for the support, today has been really bad. I couldn't sleep much last night for pain and today is worse. It doesn't seem like the meds are able to sustain pain relief for long. How bad does the pain have to be before they will fix the problem. My employer will only hold my position for 12 weeks a calander year and 2 have already passed...

Old 02-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Thanks Tammy,
They most likely won't do anything with steroids which could most probably compromise the left hip bone graft. They have already decided not to use a multi day oral steroidal treatment for that reason. What really scares me is the loss of strength and numbness in my right leg. I can't afford to loose my job because of this and these things are quickly turning me into a basket case...My employer will only hold my position for 12 weeks of unpaid leave for medical in a calander year so time isn't even on my side... I just don't know what I'm going to do or can do. Don't mean to ramble, sorry.......

Closed Thread