It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

bicoastal HB User
What is edema of the endplate?

I just took another look at my hip MRI and it shows parts of the lower spine.
It reads:
"there is marrow edema in the endplate of L4/L5"

What does it mean? (I've tried to google it, but can't find an answer.)
More importantly, what does it mean long term?

Thank you.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: What is edema of the endplate?

it is just that you have some fluid retention in the endplates.these are where the donor bone is actually supposed to fuse to.i have this in my knee actually in the head of my femur due to RSD and the swelling that comes with it.does it state anything about having effusions of some sort within your facet joints at all?for whatever reason(and i really don't have the answer to this sorry)you have developed fluid in the bone marrow at the bases of the vertebrae.i would imagine this could be an issue with fusion.have you spoken to your surgeon about this and what it means for you?or did you not actually have any surgery and this was something that was picked up on your MRI,i guess i was just assuming this was related to a fusion surgery.they don;t usually mention endplates without it having something to do with a fusion or non fusion thats all.i could be way ahead of myself here in presuming a surgery was done at all.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

bicoastal HB User

Thank you for your prompt reply, Marcia.
No, I have not had surgery and this was picked up on the MRI of the hip, believe it or not. (I've had hip pain and finally convinced the doctor to do the MRI on me). Is this something dangerous that has to be treated asap? I have difficulty finding any info on this issue on the web.
I am getting ready to see the physiologist (the surgeon won't see me unless I have a most recent MRI of the spine, which physiologist can prescribe) so any info would be helpful. Thank you!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Ahh,i WAS a little too quick on that one huh? the biggest reason why someone would accumulate any sort of fluid in an area like yours would be from possible inflammation.its kind of part of the inflammatory response.this was my case as well.but there could be other things too that i am sure i just am not aware of,but ongoing(chronic) inflammation can very easily cause fluid to accumulate in an area.can you actually feel any heat changes over this particular area at all?sometimes in certain inflammatory responses,that inflammation can actually generate its own heat,it all depends on a bunch of different factors,but my knee was really really hot.some of that tho was the RSD,but once my knee surgery was done,that heat went down to about half of what it was pre op.just some thoughts.but this does need to be explained to you.

as far as being a huge or really dangerous problem?i wouldn't think so at this point,all this shows is marrow edema,just a little fluid accumulation for some reason.that hip pain can be stemming from your spine as well.glad they are doing an actual lumbar MRI.how old was the other MRI,and did it state anything about possible hip problems or are they thinking this is just an actual lumbar issue alone?please keep me posted on how things are going for you,K? good luck bi.marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 02-21-2007 at 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling issues

Closed Thread