It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

Peepers HB User
Muscle or spine... how do you know?

I've been dealing with fairly severe lower back pain for about 5 days now. I've tried OTC pain relievers, heating pad, massage cushion - nothing helps for more than a few minutes. There are times during the day when the pain is greater, and times it's not as bad - I even managed to do a LIGHT exercise video yesterday... in January, I finally got off my lazy butt & started exercising & dieting (I'm not technically overweight, but could stand to lose about 10 lbs)... so I hate to start taking days off due to back pain, because I'm afraid I'll lose my momentum and quit exercising altogether.

FYI - the exercising I've been doing is not very strenuous, in my book. Mostly walking/jogging on my treadmill, with an aerobics video now & then to keep it interesting.

Anyway...

Is there any way for me to tell whether my pain is muscular or not? If it's an actual problem with my spine, would the pain or my range of movement be somehow *different* than if it were a strained muscle? Just trying to decide whether I should go see my chiro, my family dr, or just suck it up until it gets better on its own... if it will. If this is a strained muscle... when should it start feeling better?

There's probably no easy answer here, but at least this gave me a chance to just vent about it a little. Thanks for "listening!"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Muscle or spine... how do you know?

My vote is to go see your general practioner and to ease off on the exercising and let your back heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I to would see your doctor...also jogging is pretty hard on your back as it is jarring. I would maybe skips the aerobics to, atleast until you find out if something is wrong. I guess the rule of thumb, is if its causing greater pain quit doing it. We pretty much all get told walking and swimming. Good luck and hope its just a muscle.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the only real way to know what is actually triggering what would be some sort of scan as in MRI.the thing is,when the nerves are inflammed they will really **** off the the muscles and create trigger points,these are just little,sometimes not so little 'wads" of muscle and tissue. i have tons of these up in my c spine and upper back area all stemming from my inflammed messed up c spine.

but then there are muscle issues that are strictly from over use,or strain.this is generally a very deep ache,but when the nerves are involved you can have this sort of ache,but there is usually a more "gnawing' type of quality to the overall pain.do you know what i mean?its usually much more than just an acheyness or soreness that you would see in strictly muscle related issues.am i actually making any sense here or confusing you even more?lol.sometimes there is a very fine line.

considering this is in your low back and not the c spine,seeing a chiro could possibly help.i am always leary of doing any chiro manipulations in the c spine area unless someone has actually had an MRI done first.there are just way too many possible issues or even major problems that can result in the c spine when things are torqued around with no real idea of just what damage already exists up there.just too highly innervated to mess with.but the low back is a bit different.do you normally see this chiro,imean do you already have an ongoing relationship with him?just wondering,since if you do,he would have at least done an x ray on you before starting manipulations.if so,was there anything notable found on them?

the really best way to see whats up in the entire spinal area would definitely require an MRI since x ray will not go down to the spinal cord level where alot of issues are usually found with nerve roots and in some cases,the cord itself.if you really want to know what exactly is the cause or trigger of your ongoing pain,getting that MRI done would really help to define things much better for you.muscle pain,when it is just strictly a muscle issue,should eventually resolve itself at some point,but when nerves are triggering it,it can be an ongoing and chronic type problem.that would kind of sum up the differences between just muscle related or adding the lovely nerve component to the mix.it just becomes kind of a self perpetuating type of pain cycle.marcia

Old 02-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

As usual I would not recommend chiro

Closed Thread