It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

lexi1967 HB User
MRI results "butting up against spinal cord"

I am a 39 year old female and have had back pain since I was a teenager. It has become worse in the last year and finally had an MRI. It shows central bulges at L4 and L5, left bulge at L5-S1, and bulges that but up against my spinal cord at T7 and T8. I am most concerned with the bulges on my spinal cord and was wondering if anyone else has had this condition and what they have done for it. I have been presribed vicoprofen and skelaxin but I do not like to take pills and have yet to try them. I will do anything to avoid surgery. I have an appointment with a PM & R doctor tomorrow and a physical therapist next week. I was also wondering if these bulges can heal themselves and if anyone has had that happen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: MRI results "butting up against spinal cord"

I don't know about the butting up against spinal cord part. But sometimes bulges can get better. Usually its therapy, injections etc the normal thing. Try to walk as much as possible and keep your core as strong as possible always. I am sorry your not feeling that great, is the pain staying in your back? Or is it going into other parts? Did they talk to you about what the results meant, about the spinal cord part?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
(male)

CraigRSW HB User

hi lexi, i assume the bulge is the disc either pressing on the central canal known as central stenosis or if its pressing on the sciatic nerve exiting the foramen it is known as foraminal stenosis. i have bilateral foraminal stenosis and it causes considerable pain in my left leg and poor mobility. treatment is slow but good luck, there a good bunch on here and will offer as much support as they can.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
(female)

lexi1967 HB User

Thank-you for the replies, I wanted to wait until I saw the physiologist today to answer back. I do have lots of pain in my hips all of the time especially painfull at night trying to sleep. The pain in the center of my back is sharp and burning with verying degrees of constant pain. I dont really have shooting pain in my legs, occasionally at the most. I do have constant pain in my lower back. After having back pain for the 20+ years I guess I just got used to it. I finally went to the doctor because in the last 6-8 month the pain has become almost unbearable. I spoke with the doctor today about the disks against my spinal cord and he said that right now there is no obstruction to the cord and he is not thinking surgery at this point, thank god. I live on a small farm and have lifted and carried 150-180 lb hay bales and 50 lb gain sacks 1-2 times a month for the last 8 years and have always back pain while doing it with shooting pain, but I kept doing it because it was what I wanted to do for me and my three kids. I am now in the process of having to sell my goats and with a 10 lb max lift limit, drastically change my life. It is very upsetting to still be in your 30's and feel like your 80 all the time. The doctor wanted to give my some shots in my hips but I declined, I also have yet to take any of the prescriptions, I have relyed on alcohol for many years to control the pain at night and help me sleep. I am NOT recommending this, that is just my choice and has been for many years. My doctors know how much I drink and dont like it but it helps for now. I only drink in the evening to ease the pain and help me sleep. I do hope the pain gets better but after reading alot of these post I am getting less and less optimistic. My kids can now see the pain I am in, that I have been hiding from them for so many years, My daughter just tonight asked me when I get my wheelchair and my son said if something happens to me that he doesnt want a different mom.
Good luck to everyone, it sucks to be in pain all the time. I also have fibromyalgia and irregular heartbeats PVC's PAC's and runs of them that sometimes go on for hours, things could be worse I guess.

Closed Thread