It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

Susiebird HB User
Smile Officially starting my new career next week....

Just a quick note to let you know I start a real, paid job in medical records coding next week. For the newbies, I had to change careers after surgery because my prior job was physical labor and 12 hour shifts.

At first I didn't realize my disability plan would allow me to dabble in another career because I was unable to return to my job - I did an unpaid internship at a local hospital and still got my full db pay. Check your specific plan to see if this is possible - it's worked out perfect for me. It's a big move for me and I'm a bit nervous, but something that needs to be done.

Hope everyone is having a good day....take care!

Last edited by Susiebird; 02-22-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Officially starting my new career next week....

Good for you Susiebird and I wish you much success in your new career!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
(male)

picnica HB User

I also had to change careers, I went from HVAC tech to being a shop teacher. I threw up for three days before I started. It was the greatest thing I have ever done. The money isn't great, but it is nice to be out of the house, the kids are allot of fun. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hi,
Congrats!!! On the new path in life. Good LUck!

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Susiebird,

Good luck on your new position. I also had to rehab into a differnent field of work after a left hip bone graft. It was difficult at first, being used to doing a lot of physical work, to be stuck behind a desk. It has been almost 7 years now and it has been working out just great. Good for you! Usta

Old 02-23-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Congratulations!!! I have been trying to invision what I will do as well...since dog grooming doesn't seem to be in my future anymore. I know their is a program here I think called vocational rehabilitaion where you can learn a new trade if you've become disabled. However you can't go until released from doctors.

Medical coding that sounds cool, i have alot of office skills even though you can't tell from my typo's lol. I thought about doing something like that. At the area hospitals here if you work part time you can get benefits.

Wishing you the best in your new job!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Susie,
I've looked into medical billing and coding, too, as my doctor has told me I can't return to my previous field. I've chosen a program, but I haven't proceeded because I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to sit long enough to do my job. My doctor said if I ever work again, I need to have a sedentary job with the benefit of being able to get up and move around whenever I need to. Are you sitting most of the time with your new job? Can you get up and move around as needed?

Thanks, and I wish you the best in your new career!
Emily

Old 02-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Congratulations Susie! Job well done! I wish you much happiness in your new job. Your post has given me hope. Good luck next week.

Rose

Old 02-23-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
SusieBird , where have you been ,other than your program you been doing ? I haven't seen you in here for a while. I'm glad your back into the workforce once again. You used to be a nurse right ? Sorry my memory is shot.
Nice to here from an ole board member thats back in buisness.
Take care and drop in now and then to report [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I meant to say congrats on your new career not job!!!
Their is a difference.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Wow Susiebird! Congrats! Excellent career move! Haven't seen you post in a quite awhile. How are you doing.. healing/painwise?? Did you take your state certification exam? I am currently in school to do the same (and BIOCHEM has been a bit of a challenge to retain for me), but am in the works with 2 others to start a business doing medical billing this year. This will provide me the luxury of working from home to get up and move as I please.

But I also plan to keep full-time employment until such time that our business can thrive enough to sustain a decent insurance plan. With this back.. an absolute must.

Well glad to hear you have refocused and your efforts have certainly "paid off". Pun intended.

Give us an update on how you are doing. Take care. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #12
(female)

Susiebird HB User

Thanks all! I took my certification test in May but it's taken this long to put my plan into place - I've been keeping my fingers crossed but have been expecting it to fall apart. I just finished an unpaid internship at an area hospital that got my foot in the door at another small rural hospital. Ideally I wanted to work from home but they aren't set up (yet). I have done both physical labor and desk work and prefer something physical, but at my age figure it's time to let my back rest.

Sitting is still the worst but tolerable as long as I keep up the meds (3x300 neurontin and 2x25 elavil) and stretch at least once an hour. I just finished PT on my shoulder; I have a partial rotator cuff tear that's not bad enough to operate on that "should" heal on it's own. Had a free membership at the gym while doing PT and took a step aerobics class 2x/week - I'm not 100% because I only use 1 step (used to use 2) and need to modify a few of the moves; an hour on the elliptical and treadmill. I cut back on the walking for the winter, and by spring I'll try the bike again

Hope this gives some encouragement to someone who is feeling antsy about the future after back surgery....It's a long healing process (15 months since surgery for me) but I'm feeling pretty good these days as long as I exercise. We just got back from a 2 week vacation in Florida (yep, missed the storms ) and I rode Space Mtn., Thunder Mt., Speed Test and Everest (?) at Animal Kingdom....my bad???? So, I'm feeling quite normal these days. Hang in there everyone.

Closed Thread