It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

ashley22 HB User
scoliosis

I'm 22 and I have scoliosis, got officially diagnosed about 3 or 4 years ago. But I've had back pain for as long as I can remember. I was just wondering if anyone else has scoliosis, and how do you deal with it? I can't go to the chiropractor right now, as I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant. I'd just like to talk to someone who knows how much it hurts and who knows what I go thru every day with this.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

cythren HB User
Re: scoliosis

Hi Ashley,

I only have a mild scoliosis that isn't the cause of my problems, but I recently went to a yoga class taught by a woman with pretty pronounced scoliosis. She has created a yoga class for people with back problems. It was pretty inspiring to see what she could do despite having a large hump on one side of her upper back. There was also a woman who must have been in her 70s in the class. She too had a marked scoliosis with an obvious asymmetry. It was really great just to see them strong and healthy and working around their physical limitations.

-c

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
(female)

anxiouswife HB User

i too have scholiosis, and have found that regualr exerise is great for making my abs / core stronger, which makes the back stronger... HOWEVER... it can really cause the back to spasm.. i started doing yoga booty ballet, and for the most part its great, but some of the yoga positions cause me to lift both legs and arms in air, causing a very severe pinching in my middle/ lower back.. i would LOVE to know more about this yoga for back problems!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Ashley,
I feel your pain, and have for a long time. I developed a severe scoliosis when I was a teenager. It was not treated in a timely way and continued to progress to the point that little correction was possible, that is, a 75 degree curve. I had fusion surgery at age 18, which did help to alleviate my extreme pain, but I still had pain everyday, just not as bad. Because my curve was not corrected very much, it put great stress on my lumbar spine, trying to hold up that big fusion that was weighted to one side. Now, at age 48, my lumbar spine finally gave out and I had to be fused the rest of the way down. My doctor and I are hoping that this will decrease the pain, which had been getting worse and worse for the last few years. At the very least, though, this second fusion should keep me from getting any worse.

That's my story in a nutshell, but it doesn't sound quite like your scenario. You said you were diagnosed several years ago. What did they recommend to treat you? Did they talk about a brace or PT to learn some core strengthening exercises? It sounds like you weren't near the degree of curve when they would start talking about surgery. They don't usually even consider surgery for anything under a 40 degree curve. Do you know how bad the curve is? Did they call your scoliosis mild, severe, etc.?

I'm not a big fan of chiropractic, but I did find one good one who helped me a lot. I also found a bunch who could have severely hurt me by what they tried to do. Talk to your doctor first and make sure he thinks it's safe for you to go to a chiropractor once your baby is delivered. Ask your doctor if he can recommend a chiropractor. I would caution you that although there are good chiropractors out there, there are many more, in my experience, who are full of talk and just treat every case the same, assembly line chiropractic. They'll all tell you your legs are different lengths. If you go to one who tells you your legs are different lengths, adjusts you, and then tells you that now your legs are the same, don't go back to him. With scoliosis, he's not going to be able to make a correction like that! He's just full of talk, trying to convince you that he's made a wonderful difference in your life! Again, though, talk to your doctor first and make sure nothing else is going on in there that a chiro could damage. Some people have had permanent damage by a chiropractor's adjustment. They are NOT doctors, in spite of what they call themselves. I've studied extensively in my field, too, but I don't call myself a doctor!

You've probably discovered that over the counter pain killers don't do a heck of a lot for scoliosis pain. I used to take ibuprofen three at a shot three times a day. I did that for years, hoping that at least it would ease it a bit. Sometimes it did, I think because it helped inflammation, but I was never ever pain free. I wonder now if all that ibuprofen contributed to an early diagnosis of osteoporosis, when I was 46. Be careful what you take. Your doctor might prescribe something stronger for you, but scoli pain is different from a lot of other back problems. The best relief is to just sit down and lean on a heating pad. But that's not realistic in life!

I suggest finding a good physical therapist, one who specializes in scoliosis or fusion patients, and get some good core exercises especially for your particular back. I went to several PT's looking for that, but they didn't "get it." They just wanted to give me a work out and didn't understand how my back was different from the average back they were used to seeing, even though they had my x-rays right in front of them. It was a big waste of money! The therapist I have now was recommended by my surgeon. She's a gem! She doesn't try to give me a workout. I only do enough at her facility for her to make sure I'm doing the exercises right, then do all my exercises on my own at home. That's so appropriate, because that's what I need to do forever, exercise on my own. I spend 1/2 an hour to an hour with her, going over exercises and having her tweak them, trying to find what will be best for my back without overstressing other areas that have tried to compensate for what my back can't do. That's the kind of therapist you need.

There's a thread on the board about putting less stress on your back around the house. You can copy/paste: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=468037&highlight=less+stress+on+back+around+the+house[/url]

You might find some suggestions there to make it easier for you day to day. Also, I'm sure you'll quickly find out that you don't want to carry your baby in a baby frontpack, at least not once he/she's gotten much bigger than a few months. We all need to carry those little ones sometimes, and if they're fussy we need to walk with them, but sit as much as possible when you're holding your baby. You might find that when he/she's fussy, a small lightweight stroller that you keep inside might work for calming down, instead of always carrying the baby.

I wish you the best, Ashley. I hope you can find some ways to alleviate your pain. Been there, done that!

And a big congratulations on your new little one! I hope you have an easy delivery and a healthy baby!

Blessings,
Emily

Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
(female)

ashley22 HB User

I don't know the severity of the curve of my spine, my chiropractor never told me a degree or even mentioned mild or severe, so I really have no idea. All I know is on the x-rays, my spine is shaped like a loose "s". He did also tell me that one of my legs is an inch or two shorter than the other one. And it's not just my back that hurts. It goes from my neck to my shoulders and to my back. I can't stand or sit up totally straight, because it hurts too much and it doesn't feel natural. I'm used to slouching. I've tried a lot of over the counter pain meds, and nothing really does work. I was even on vicodin once, and that didn't even help. Now what I'm worried about is my baby getting scoliosis. I have no clue where mine came from. No one else in my family has scoliosis. I don't want to pass it on to my daughter. I don't want her to be in pain all the time.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Ashley, if you haven't been to a medical doctor about your back, you really should see one. You can start with your family doctor, or go to an orthopedic doctor. They can tell you exactly what your curve is and how to best treat it.

I understand what you're saying about passing it on to your children. It is hereditary, although I don't know where mine came from. It's usually mild enough that it's not an issue and no one realizes that it's in the family. I've had three kids. They started checking my kids for scoliosis at age 2, as soon as they could stand straight and lean over steadily. I think that was more for me than for them, as I was very concerned about passing it on. At age 14, my daughter was found to have it. I felt so guilty! I just wanted to burst out in tears and tell her how sorry I was for giving that to her. Fortunately, I held it together. Even though I felt that way, I know very well that I had no control over this other than to say I just wouldn't have children. Not have these wonderful kids? I can't imagine life without them! I don't regret for a second having my kids even though two of the three have scoliosis! That's just plain silly to say I shouldn't have had them because they might have scoliosis! What if there's a history of diabetes or breast cancer or obesity in the family? Those are all hereditary, too! I wouldn't not have kids for any of those reasons! Land's sake, maybe none of us should ever have kids by that way of thinking!

My daughter's scoli turned out to stay quite mild. You'd never notice it, and it only bothers her when she's trying to get out of vacuuming! One of my sons, though, was also diagnosed at age 14, two years behind his sister. His progressed and he ended up in a back brace for 12 hours a day for 2 years. His curve is now at 35 degrees. You can see it through his clothing if you know it's there, but probably wouldn't notice it otherwise. He has no pain whatsoever from it.

You'll want to make sure your children's pediatrician is aware that you have scoliosis, so they're watching your kids very carefully for it. The earlier it's caught, the easier it is to treat. You'll make sure they get proper medical care.

Do find out from a real doctor, though, if there's anything that will help your back at this point.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 02-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I ran into a forum on the internet that was all about scolisos...and didn't even know it for awhile as alot of people were talking about their sugerys etc. they were saying fusion, and thats what I'm having so i didn't know better. I'm slow sometimes, anyway I just thought I'd mention it because it seemed like it was really informational if you had that condition. Also on health boards there is another link for spinal that you might check.

But we are all the same in back pain right, just different conditions. I always feel the more I am educated the better I feel, that way when a doctor does talk to me i have a clue. I hope you find all the support and help you need here.

I've personally never been a big fan of chiropractors, I know this is something we all disagree or agree on here, but to me...its my spine...I want only the person with the best education touching me.

I wish you the very best.vette

Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
(female)

ashley22 HB User

Before I even went to a chiropractor, I had my family doctor check my back out a few times, due to the pain. He'd just have me stand up and bend over and he'd run his finger down my spine, and he never noticed anything. I do know that after I got adjusted after going to the chiropractor, my back did feel better, if only for a short while. My scoliosis must not be bad enough for even a brace or anything, tho, because he's never mentioned anything like that to me. Thanx for the replies and the blessings

Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
(male)

Dave109 HB User

Are you aware that there are 2 forms of scoliosis. One is structural and the other is functional or simply put "non-structural". Since you said one leg is shorter than the other you could have a functional form of scoliosis.

Closed Thread