It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
(female)

DawnH3868 HB User
Question Newbie Here(Lumbar Spinal Fusion)

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Red"][/COLOR][/FONT]

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and I thought I'd give it a try. I just survived cervical spine fusion on Jan. 19th. I was fused at C3-4 and C4-5 as a result of an auto accident in Dec 06. Doing ok with that now preparing myself for my lumbar fusion. Let me just give you a brief history on me so you have som understanding. I fell at work in 09/05 off a stool I was sitting on. Hit tailbone really hard and jarred my spine. I back pain instantly and I worked in an orthopeadic's office at the time. I wasn't checked out by any of the doc's and figured it would just go away in a couple of days. I was very wrong thinking that. I continued to work with the back pain until I couldn't take it any longer and had to start seeing someone at work. We have one doc that treats nothing but back issues and he has a PA that does most of hie work. He won't even say hello to you unless you are in need of surgery(*******). After several months of PT and numerous MRI's, CT scans, and xrays I was told there really wasn't anything wrong with me. I figured they were just giving me the run around because I worked there and went and got another opinion. First appt with NS I was hunched over in pain and on the verge of tears. He looked at my MRI films and pointed out a tear in the disc at L4-5 and that L5-S1 was bulging pretty back. He recommened epidural shots to start with. The next day i slipped at work on a wet floor and really messed my back up. I had the first shot with no luck. I went in for a 2nd shot with not luck. Then in 11/06 I had the awful discogram done. It was confirmed that it was the 2 disc he had stated from the beginning and its possible that L3-4 is also bad. He told me at that point spinal fusion was my only option. Well since I am a work comp case and haven't been able to get a hearing for treatment( first lawyer I had was useless)and have since gotten a new lawyer and have my hearing in MArch 07, I have to wait on the surgery. I can't go through my private health insurance not only because its work related but because the wonderful company I worked for fired me the beginning of Jan 07 and I lost my health insurance on 02/07. Thank goodness i had it to cover the cervical spinal fusion($57,000) is not easy to come by. While I wait I am scared and looking for answers, good or bad. I really want to know what to expect when I have this surgery from start to finish. If there is anyone out there that can help me, please let me know. Thanks and sorry so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: Newbie Here(Lumbar Spinal Fusion)

I am so sorry you are going through this. It seems to be an epidemic in our country with trying to find doctors, trying to get treatment, trying to be able to afford insurance, being deemed uninsurable, workmans' comp crap...all of it.

If you search on here Diet Dr Pepper had fusion I believe 22 days ago and has been giving us a play by play. Clover is getting ready to have fusion and so am I. Many others already have. Alot of the success storys are gone, as ofcourse people go back to work and life etc and not sitting at home everyday. Some people do still have problems, and you will find a mix of us all here. But the one thing you will find is support. We all know the dreaded back pain. This place has been a life line to me. Given me info that doctors tend to just leave out, maybe they assume we know who knows. I had a fight myself finding care and was without a way to have surgery as well. And then doctors who would listen. If their is anything I have learned its you have to be pro-active in finding doctors who will listen and care.

I wish you the best and i hope you read diet's journal's - it's eliminated a ton of my fears, questions and concerns and given me hope.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

Dawn,

I had the same surgery on the 12th of this month; I do not understand why they fired you. It makes no sensce to me. Furthmore it does not help when we all think about the almighty dollar. I was jerked aorund for over 2 years and after 2 nuero surgoens and a bothched myelogram I was told I can't help you. You need to get another opinion. So I found a Spine Specalist and he looked at all of my MRI's and x rays and tool a few of his own and said that it is so clear... I can not believe that these others can not see the problem. He took the time to show me.

The surgery went well' and things are so much better now than ever before...

Good luck and keep smiling
Roy

Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"]

I'll say it again everybody is different, everybody doesn't get well. Some do some don't . Expect a long recovery , I have had 2 fusions on the same area ,and one to remove scar tissue and still not sure I' fused. I'm not saying this will happen to you , but follow DietDr.Peppers's post she fill's it all in..

I wish you all the best with your surgery , i'm on workers comp also , but they never tried not to pay for my surgeries , they actually paid it all off everytime withing 2 weeks my Dr. said.[/SIZE]

Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

BlueSky555 HB User

[QUOTE=DawnH3868;2816223][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Red"][/COLOR][/FONT]

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and I thought I'd give it a try. I just survived cervical spine fusion on Jan. 19th. I was fused at C3-4 and C4-5 as a result of an auto accident in Dec 06. Doing ok with that now preparing myself for my lumbar fusion. Let me just give you a brief history on me so you have som understanding. I fell at work in 09/05 off a stool I was sitting on. Hit tailbone really hard and jarred my spine. I back pain instantly and I worked in an orthopeadic's office at the time. I wasn't checked out by any of the doc's and figured it would just go away in a couple of days. I was very wrong thinking that. I continued to work with the back pain until I couldn't take it any longer and had to start seeing someone at work. We have one doc that treats nothing but back issues and he has a PA that does most of hie work. He won't even say hello to you unless you are in need of surgery(*******). After several months of PT and numerous MRI's, CT scans, and xrays I was told there really wasn't anything wrong with me. I figured they were just giving me the run around because I worked there and went and got another opinion. First appt with NS I was hunched over in pain and on the verge of tears. He looked at my MRI films and pointed out a tear in the disc at L4-5 and that L5-S1 was bulging pretty back. He recommened epidural shots to start with. The next day i slipped at work on a wet floor and really messed my back up. I had the first shot with no luck. I went in for a 2nd shot with not luck. Then in 11/06 I had the awful discogram done. It was confirmed that it was the 2 disc he had stated from the beginning and its possible that L3-4 is also bad. He told me at that point spinal fusion was my only option. Well since I am a work comp case and haven't been able to get a hearing for treatment( first lawyer I had was useless)and have since gotten a new lawyer and have my hearing in MArch 07, I have to wait on the surgery. I can't go through my private health insurance not only because its work related but because the wonderful company I worked for fired me the beginning of Jan 07 and I lost my health insurance on 02/07. Thank goodness i had it to cover the cervical spinal fusion($57,000) is not easy to come by. While I wait I am scared and looking for answers, good or bad. I really want to know what to expect when I have this surgery from start to finish. If there is anyone out there that can help me, please let me know. Thanks and sorry so long.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Click post a message . or reply

Old 02-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
(female)

BlueSky555 HB User

Hi Dawn,

I think I found it; I'm new also and couldn't figure out how to respond to your post.

First of all, I wish you luck with your fusion. I've had cervical fusions and now problems with lumbar discs. You have been through a lot and I feel so bad for you.

I had my cervical fusions in 97 and am still having muscle problems and rt. arm/neck pain. Not sure if it helped me. Did it help you, so far?

Question: was the tear an annular tear? I don't know much about them but have heard of them.

I'm sure I'll remember you since you're the first I responded to. I'll watch for you after your surgery date, awaiting good news.

BlueSky555

Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
(female)

BlueSky555 HB User

Thank you Shawn,

BlueSky555

Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
(female)

DawnH3868 HB User

I guess I am lucky with the cervical fusion. I had instant headache relief when I woke up in recovery. The pain in my neck is basically gone. I wake up kinda stiff in the morning in the back of my neck and I have a little pain between the shoulder blades. After I have been moving around for a bit it pretty much goes away. I do tend to have some arm pain/ burning from time to time but not very often.

To answer the question about the tear. It is an annular tear at L4-5 but I'm not sure about the rest of the disc's. My NS is thinking of having the discogram repeated by another DR just for a second opinion on the L3-4 disc. I am truely not comfortable with that idea right now. I trust my NS 100% and the idea of another NS touching me doesn't make me happy. I also have to decide if I am going to allow for bone to be grafted from my right hip this time or go another route. I had bon grafted from the left hip for the cervical spine and it was horrible.

Closed Thread