It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User
Will Pain Every Go Away

Hello To My Cyber Friends, I Hope You All Are Ok. As For Me The Past Few Days Have Been Tough. I Saw My Worker Comp Md On Wednesday And She Ordered Some New Pain Meds, Now I Am On Demerol 100mg 4 Times A Day And I Am Weaning Off Of The Neurontin And Is Suppose To Start The Lyrica Next Week. I Hope Something Helps Because This Pain Gets Real Bad At Times. It Is Funny Because Even With This Demerol I Am Still Miserable. I Did Ask Her For A Second Opion Also And The Worker Comp People Are In The Process Of Getting Me A New Surgeon To See. I Am Still Off Work, The Doc Gave Me 3 More Weeks Off. I Havr Been Off Since The 6th Of Dec. Is It Usually This Tough To Heal From 2 Disk Herniations. I Thought I Would Be Better By Now.
Rachel

Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Will Pain Every Go Away

[COLOR="Navy"]Rachel,

I'm sorry that you are still miserable, but yes, it does take a long time to heal. When you consider that to heal from a fusion surgery is 6 months, December isn't such a long time.

I think you will find that the Lyrica will help with the nerve pain. Do be aware that one of the side effects of Lyrica is weight gain (15 lbs for me). And of course there is nothing worse for back folks than extra weight.

If you find that the meds are not working, you might ask for a slow release that will help level out the pain.

hang in there. You are in my prayers.[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I can certainly relate. I used to think I was a wimp and had a low pain tolerence. I have really learned over the last year to handle alot of pain. It isn't easy and no one should have to go thru it. Remember if the pain meds do not work the Dr can find one that will. There is so many different ones and combinations of things to help.

I have had back problems off and on for years. In 1999 I herniated my disk at the l5-s1 level. This disk has been buldging ever since. I am finally having a fusion on monday. I saw so many Drs and finally last june I found my Dr I have now. Neurosurgeon He is just the best very compassionate and has a good reputation. The first thing he told me is he would not offer me surgery until the last resort. Well after several injections and a rhizotomy (nerve burning) he offered the surgery in Oct. I put it off until now. He told me in December when I was sick of the pain and having to live on pain meds and my life was greatly impacted to let him know and we would do the surgery. I had my appointment on Feb 13th and told him I could not even pull open a door. We scheduled surgery.

I really believe that you should do alot of research and explore all avenues beore having or discussing surgery. Asking for a second opinion is a great idea. I also had one.

Good luck I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
(male)

Porter107 HB User

Sorry you are experiancing so much pain. I too can relate. I have had chronic back pain for 12 plus years and have had 3 surgeries now. I wish I could honestly say that the pain will go away, but from my personal experiance, I have my doubts. That being said, I have not completely given up hope, I am praying that my current pain is temporary and I will soon be pain free. I will continue to do what I can for relief and abide by my Docs orders. Keep the faith and who knows. By the way, have you had surgery?

Porter

Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

When I first herniated the discs it did take a long while to get back to normal....it took time. Hang in there. I think we all have to experiment with different meds to see what helps us. Like someone else said we have to be our own advocates. Demerol makes me puke. Percocet made me more pain free but tired and nauseated. So I've stuck with vicodin, which doesn't give me as much pain relief but for me, doesn't make me tired or sick to my tummy.
I guess its just trial and error.

I hope you find some relief, stay positive and don't give up.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I think medicines affect each individual totally different. Demerol works well pain wise for me but I can't sleep when I am on it. Vicodin knocks me completely out for 8 to 12 hours straight. Percocet provides me with the best pain relief and does not make me sleepy or wide awake.

I pray you can find some much needed relief soon.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Thanks to you all for your respones. How are you doing porter? And yvette I know you have surgery coming up, so You are in my prayers, and 123ddp how are you doing post op? I hope and pray that you all are doing well. Porter I have not had surgery yet, I am in the process of getting a second opinion, the first surgeon wanted to do a discectomy with adr, i want the mininmally invasive surgery if I chose to go that route, not sure yet, I am trying to give my body time to heal and see if the next esi will do the trick. As for my pain meds, i have been on everything under the sun, also i am allergic to codiene, vicodin, and methadone. i was on dilaudid and darvocet and it worked intially, but not anymore, so that leaves me with the demerol. Well, anyway i am so thankful for you all! Have a Blessed Day
Rachel

Old 02-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Clover, I was just wordering how did you make it with 8 years with a bulging disk, did the pain ease up or did it heal and come back? I see you are having surgery, so did it take this long to decide to have surgery or did they suggest it earlier. I feel like a baby after seeing how long you all have been dealing with back pain. I guess i am not used to nothing holding me down, I was always on the go. I mean I cant even work now and I miss my job. Oh well, I wish you the best for your surgery.
Rachel

Old 02-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Rachel
I did not have constant pain. My pain came and went. When I had a spell I took it easy wore out a couple of heating pads and went to Dr to get meds. The most effective med was Soma. My Dr now will not prescribe soma he says it asks as a sedative when it goes thru the liver. I don't know about all of that just that it worked. I never really had chronic pain till about a year ago. I hate it. I just kept hoping it would go away however it never did. Now my NS says that I will have to get used to living with pain and taking meds. He said that even with the surgery I only have a 50-50 chance to be pain free. Part of that is the damage done because I never found a Dr that cared enough to put me on a treatment plan. I also have done tons of exercises. The one that worked the best was to lay flat on the floor on my stomach and push up with my arms leaving my body flat. Kinda like a push up only pushing up the upper body. Well this wonderful exercise I now found out made my condition worse. I also have pars defect and spondy. But your right 8 years without surgery was pretty good.

I really am a whimp I just work on the mind over matter everyday. I really thing my pain tolerence has improved since then.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
(female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Hi KK,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have been in pain since June '06 and I have a few good days here and there. I have been on percocet for a while now. I am also trying nortryptiline (sp?). It is a antidepressant but it is also used to treat chronic pain. It might be helping a little bit. Anyways, I have come to the conclusion that you have to take things day by day, and continue to be your own advocate for your care. I am researching all the time and this board has been so helpful. I have also come to the conclusion that I have to think that the pain will go away..and try to stay positive.

Angie

Old 02-25-2007, 04:28 AM   #11
(female)

heaven_blessin HB User

i had back surgery feb,1 2007 ,but my back still hurt , i go to the dr. march 7 should i ask for some therphy ,or will this pain go away on its on ,i work in a nursing home where there is alot of lifting and pulling in volved. MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL. heaven_blessin

Old 02-25-2007, 05:03 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Heaven Blessing - What type of surgery did you have?? If we know, we can probably better answer your question. I had a fusion Feb 1st and working would definitely be out of the picture for 12 weeks and probably longer if I worked outside of the home. I have been put on strict restrictions no lifting, bending, cooking, laundry, etc for the first 12 weeks and then we will evaluate things at that point.

I am still having some pain but the pain is improving everyday. Good luck and I will lift you up in prayer.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
(female)

heaven_blessin HB User

123dietdrpepper,may god bless you for respoding to my question; i had had a open laminotomy with some bone fagments removed. but i still can't bend over and when i cough it feels like my lower lumber is going to break.and i still have pains in my leg. i just thought when i had the surgery ibe down for a couple of weeks and presto i'd be pain free ,dob you have any suggection , itake daily walks, may god bless you ,thank you for your prayers.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Last May, I had a laminectomy and my doctor did not let me even think about beginning to bend at the knees before 6 weeks. He recommended walking to build up my strength. Start out slow and increase daily. When I first started walking I went to the end of my cul-de-sac at the time then I built up to two laps, three laps, etc. You can even do the walk two or three times a day. I did not drive until six weeks either.

This is major surgery and your body really needs time to heal or you risk the potential of further injuring yourself. Take it nice and slow is my motto.

At this point, I would not even consider carrying groceries.

If you are wondering why I had a laminectomy then a fusion, when they did the laminectomy, my spine became unstable and I required the fusion.

I pray that you find some relief soon.

Closed Thread