It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
(male)

Mike in MO. HB User
Newbie:Quick replies apprec. L1-L-2 fusion on 2-26-07

Hello everyone, great board. As I said, L1-L2 fusion on Monday. I have read lots of posts about L5-s1 fusions, but have yet to find one about my level and would be grateful for some responses from anyone who has gone through the same thing.
I had a cervical fusion from C5-7 at the end of 2005 and recently had another MRI which showed bulges @ C2-C4 and, obviously ,will have to deal with those latter. Point being, I know what it's like to recover from a cervical fusion, but feel like this surgery will be a whole different animal.
The L1-L2 fusion will be with hardware and cage and I would greatly appreciate any and all responses.
Thanks, I have enjoyed reading the other posts and everyone here seems very nice and informative.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Newbie:Quick replies apprec. L1-L-2 fusion on 2-26-07

Mike - I am one of the L5/S1 fusion patients and I just want to let you know that I am pulling and praying for you on Monday. I believe 2 other people are having surgery that day as well.

Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Prayers being sent your way!!! I am sorry I don't know about that level, diet dr pepper made a play by play on here of her surgery its at another level though. It might still offer you some tips. Wishing you the best! Also at the top of the board their are post surgery tips!!

Old 02-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Mike
Welcome to our little support group. I am also having surgery on Monday. I already panic'd and cryed and now am excited. I am having a 2 level fusion L4-S1 Mine is a little different as he is not going to take out the disk unless it is real bad. He is putting in these little shock absorber things and fusion material. If this does not work then I will have the complete fusion. Alot just depends on what he sees when he gets to the spine. I am having the incision thru the back.

I used to live in Mo KC for 7 sevens and I went to college in Joplin that is were my family is now. I went to HS in Lebanon.

What part of Mo are you from?

Good luck with your surgery I will say a little prayer for you and usedtolaughalot (who is also having surgery on 2-26) before they give me the cocktail.

Good luck
Sandy

Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Mike,
You don't have much time before your surgery, but you might want to take a look at the thread at the top of the page, "post surgery tips." You'll find a lot of helpful tips to make your recovery a bit easier.

Best piece of equipment to make sure you have: a grabber tool! You can get one at medical equipment stores or many pharmacies. It will make it much easier to get anything you drop or that's just a bit farther than you can reach. You won't be able to bend or stretch at all for a while (months, not weeks). Mine was worth the $30 I paid for it the first day I was home from the hospital.

Your recovery from L1-L2 will be very similar to recovery from L5-S1. You'll probably have less "sitting pain", since your S1 isn't involved, but time will tell on that one.

Do you have someone to help you when you get home from the hospital? Some doctors don't give a real clear picture of what recovery is going to be like, but read the various threads, as you've been doing, and you'll get a good idea of what to expect. Most of us have had a 5 pound lifting restriction for up to 6 months, so you'll need to take that into account. For comparison's sake, a gallon jug of milk weighs 8 pounds. You might want to get new batteries for your remotes and line up someone to pick up movies for you. You're going to be just resting and walking for a while.

I do wish you the best. Come back and let us know how you're doing, or if you have questions that someone on here can try to answer for you.

Take care!
Emily

Old 02-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
(male)

Mike in MO. HB User

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers everyone.

If anyone has had the same level fusion:L1-L2 I would still like to hear from you.

Also,I'll keep the others with upcoming surgeries in my prayers as well.

Thanks Again !!

Closed Thread