It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
No Sleep

I am so aggrivated. I am awake at 12:30 a.m. Pain meds. wore off at 2:00 and had to take more at 2:30...such a pain. Does anyone take anything to help them sleep?? I am a little hesitant to ask for sleep meds., with the pain meds. I am on.. BUT, this has to stop. Usually, I just read a book or watch tv...but tonight I am just WIRED...can't get settled.

Sage

Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: No Sleep

Sage I am so sorry you having a rough time sleeping and pray that your meds finally kicked in last night. It is a commonality amongst us back sufferers not to sleep. Personally, prior to surgery this was my problem. Now that I have had surgery (3 weeks out) I sleep like a baby at least so far.

I know several people take ambien (??) on the board. I do not take anything.

I pray that you find some much needed pain relief soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi Sage

I have 3 hours sleep a night if i'm lucky but am used to it!
I dont like not being able to sleep but as with yourself i am really not sure how something to help me sleep is going to react with the tabs i take.

If i am really deperate Diazepan knocks me out but i dont take them on a regular basis only when i am in absolute chronic pain an nothing else helps.

If you try anything let me know if it works.

Best wishes

Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your reply Dietdrpepper...

Ok, I finally got back to sleep about 4:30ish this morning....slept until 7...
Usually I do not get to upset when I wake up during the night...but for some reason last night I just got angry! The back wasn't too horrible when I woke up, just the usual...the deep ache, ache.. Hate the thought of adding more meds, but will have to speak with my PM Dr. I had thought possiblely of asking for a small dose of xanax..like .25...because I am feeling a bit anxious lately. That might help with the sleeping also. Had been on that stuff a few years ago, and it just settled me right down. The other types of stuff, antidepressents don't like me...cymbalta was the latest on I tried...no thanks on that one. Well the night is over, new day...and tonight I will sleep better...that is my thought, and I am sticking to it!!! Thanks again for the support, it really helps.

Sage

Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sage - I am glad to have helped some. Prior to my surgery, I really needed this board and leaned alot on Shawley and BlueAtlas. They were my lifeline. Now that I have had my surgery and am recovering, I pray that I can help others thru their back journey.

I will probably never leave this board -- sorry guys your stuck with me.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Sage,

I'm sorry you're having trouble sleeping. As others have mentioned, this is very common with back pain sufferers (or with any kind of pain). I personally did not want to take prescription sleep aids; I did try various over the counter ones, including some herbs & such (melatonin & something else).but they didnt help me. What did help me, though...was taking a very low dose antidepressant called Elavil. The low dose is commonly used for fibromyalgia sufferers supposedly to help with pain & sleep. For me, it did nothing for pain but it put me out like a light bulb. I think for depression, people can take up to 200 mg a day, but I only took one 10mg pill every evening. And like clockwork, I fell asleep about 1-2 hours after taking it. I had no side effects (except dry mouth for about a week) and there was no dependancy build up. I took it for about a year and 1/2...the same dose every day and I never needed a higher dosage. But for whatever reason, my doc didnt refill my scripts for this....maybe he just figured it wasnt doing me any good for pain.
So i'm just letting you know my experience and one thing that helped me sleep....it's just another option that is pretty safe (unless you're taking other meds that should not be taken together with it).

Old 02-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Sage
Normally it is me on here posting in the middle of the night. The Dr gave me abien however with my insurance it is very expense. Most over the counter sleep aides are just benedryl. I did find a new one at wal-mart. It is just a generic sleep-aid but has a different ingredent. I will find the box and post the ingredent this afternoon. It is in a red box. The directions say take one 30 min before bed. I used this the last couple of nights and it really works. I have slept all night. As I mentioned I will get the box and post the info this afternoon.

Pepper we are glad we are stuck with you

Old 02-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

yikes, we are all sleepless!! Thanks for all of you replies....unfortunately some of what you guys let me know about, I have problems with..the meds. that is....the elavil I took several years ago, and it caused me some major problems, and that was at the 10 mg. dose...heart type stuff...scary...also, I can't take any kind of antihistimine..it causes me to swell..yeah, I know, it's supposed to do the opposite, if you have allergies, and also it makes you tired, so it would help with sleep. This is why I hate to take medications, they don't like me....or they give me weird side effects. I usually get a cup of decaf tea...read a boring book, or turn the newsprograms on on the tv...usually works, but didn't last night.. I've tried ambien before, but don't know if it will mix with my oxycodone..10/325... Have a couple of them here in the house, left over from a few years ago....tempting!!

Sherry, Dietdrpepper, Baybreeze, & Clover, I really appreciate all of the sleep hints...and I am sorry that you all have had to experience the same thing...
Dietdrpepper, hope that your surgery is successful & you have great pain relief.. Clover, I know that you are going for surgery soon??? Hope the recovery is fast and as painfree as possible...

Thanks again...

Sage/Leslie

Old 02-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

There's always the old standby, a warm glass of milk. Tastes terrible, but it does release a chemical in your body that makes you drowsy. A turkey sandwich (gool ol' tryptophan) and a glass of warm milk might help you without the side effects of the meds. And the turkey will help get rid of the yucky warm milk taste.

Hope you get some zzzzz's tonight!

~Emily

Old 02-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I used to buy the canned milk and put vanilla and sugar and warm it up and worked everytime. Gosh forgot all about that

Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
(male)

picnica HB User

Warm Milk, I am going to have to try that. I have been using Melatoian and some herbal tea my wife gets. I am going to have to try that. Will warm oreo cookies go with that? LOL One of the worse things about the back is the lack of sleep. I love a good deep sleep. Nothing like it.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

So funny with all my good advise I am up again. Funny how back pain suffers really do not get much sleep. My eyes show it too. I think the black circles under my eyes are permenent Off to the kitchen to try the warm milk thing.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas, Clover & Picnica...
Thanks for all of the sleeping remedy hints. I fell asleep last night about 10:30 - woke up several times, but was able to go back to sleep...up for good about 6 this morning.... Funny, the old warm milk trick!! I used to do that for my children when they were little...!!! I will try it tonight...can't hurt...
Something is going on in my back...not sure what....but this is not good...usually I have more pain on the right side...& leg.....but since yestereday wow, it's worse on the left side, this may or may not be good, as the MRI indicates that the "problems" are more on the left side of my back - wow, increased pain in back along with more butt pain....on the left side...almost feels like there is something not "right" in my spine...feels like there is something there...swelling/blocking/not exactly pinching in the spine, but something there... Hey, every day something new!! No sleep, different symptoms...our lives are varied...we never know what will happen...
Thank you all again, for your thoughtfuly replies.....

Sage/Leslie

Closed Thread