It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User
Unhappy Pain Much Worse...HELP...Don't know what to do.

I am 4 months post op. Thoracic Fusion T7-T8.

The pain was very tolerable while I had on the brace (shell) up until 3months postop. Then i took it off, and the original pain (midback, chest pain, right shoulder, right scapula) came back. So, I put the brace back on, and rested for a week.The surgeon's assistant told me to relax for a week, if it was still there call back. It was still there, so I called the surgeon....after a long battle of who's gonna be responsible....I got an MRI ordered for next Tues. The pain is getting worse and worse...last night around 11...I took my Elavil (75mg for sleep and nerve pain)...and the pain was out of this world. I took 10mg of Percocet....didn't touch it......wanted to go to the ER, but I was drowsy from the meds, and didn't think they could do much with me. But the pain was still there 10/10. Luckily I fell asleep b/t my crying and repositioning myself.
I awoke this morning with it still at about 9/10. I don't know if I can make it thru the weekend. Any acivity makes it go up to 10/10. Laying down settles it at 8/10. It feels like I've been cut in half....stabbing, burning, aching in my mid back and that pressure in my chest (its not the heart...trust me).

Does this sound familiar to anyone ? Does anyone have a suggestion for me? What should I do???

The surgeon said that (without an appt)...he will look at my MRI results to see if he really needs to see me. I haven't been to PT in 3 weeks b/c of this pain. I have an appt to see my PM MD in a week and 1/2.

On a personal note: I have a really important lunch next weekend...my best friend is getting married...its her shower....I know it sounds like not a big deal....but she has put alot of effort into accomodating things around me. I was supposed to be better by next weekend. And I was very confident of that until 3 weeks ago. I wish I could go....a lot of my support people who I never see...only talk to...are going to be there. It was just really important to me...[I]the one thing [/I]I looked forward to this last 4 months. It does not look promising from where I lay today.

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Pain Much Worse...HELP...Don't know what to do.

Babs - Hugs and prayers are sent your way. I am so sorry you are feeling so poorly. It sounds like you need to go to the ER. Can someone drive you? You need to gain control over the pain and it sounds like the pain has control of you.

I wish I could offer some words of wisdom for you but my experience is with the lumbar area.

Please keep us posted and we are pulling for you.

Last edited by ms_west; 02-24-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Babs I am so sorry you are in so much pain. Sounds like you should go to the ER I have to agree with Pepper on that. You might also try putting the brace back on to see if you get any relief. I sure wish at times I had a magic wand and could wave it and we all would be pain free.

Good luck I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. Let us know how you are.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

ErikaB HB User

Babs,
Instictively I know that you must be so afraid...your surgery is in such a vulnerable place and affects your entire upper body. I agree with your other repliers, that the pain seems to have gotten a hold of you. I want to suggest you try deep breatheing, take yourself off mentally to somewhere youhave been happy, a vacation spot for instance and work at deep relaxation. Almost taking yourself away from your body, metaphsically speaking. Mediation works.
Sometimes there is a healing curve taking place, where it gets or feels worse before it gets better. Of course I'm not a surgeon, but could you be in that phase?
My heart really feels for you and know I will think about you all the time.
As for your lunch with your girlfriend. I know you will make it...picture yourself there, have a friend or family memeber help you. Show up for a short period...the smiles and support you are giving your friend will only help you. Everyone will understand you are post-op, especially if they are your real friends. Try to look forward and do some mental imagery. Call a friend who makes you laugh, rent some funny videos.
I hope this doesn't all sound too preachy, but if I were there with you...I'd be helping you with these ideas.
Have faith in yourself and your ability to heal and beat the pain.
Best,
ErikaB

Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

Babs I am so sorry for your pain, I agree with the others that you should go to the er if the pain is unbearable. I pray that you will feel better by next weekend. You take care and God Bless.
Rachel

Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Babs, I'm so sad to hear that you're not improving, but I'm glad that they finally got the MRI ordered and that they scheduled you quickly. Is your pain management doctor aware that you're in such pain? A week and a half is too long to wait for that appt with the level of pain you're in. I agree that a trip to the ER is called for. How do you do with Morphine?

I don't think it's any small thing to want to be at that luncheon next week. Relationships are important, they're what life is all about! I hope you can get enough relief to be able to be there at least for a short time.

Is this pain just like the pain you had before your surgery? Or a new pain?

I hope you get some relief! Keeping you in my thoughts!

Take care,
Emily

Old 02-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

The pain simmered down today with inactivity to a 7-8/10. Enough that i am going to hold off on a trip to the ER...I feel like they don't really do much with pain patients anyway. Pain is kind of last on the list when it comes to emergencies.

Its scary to hurt so much...you dont know whats going on in there...esp if someone has already messed sround with God's original artwork in the spine.

Maybe I will call the PM doctor/Surgeon after the results have come in of the MRI...being that I can hold off until then. It does seem quite far away right now....only a person experiencing really bad pain knows how long a day's 24 hrs really is. I am hoping to see both doc's next week.

Thanks for the replies.

Blueatlas....it feels like the pain I had prior to the surgery for sure...but a bit more painful than that. I haven't felt this pain since the surgery.....last Oct. Its def the same thing tho. Its like the surgery never happened.

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations

Old 02-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Babs, that's very disheartening. Please post what the MRI shows. I'm very concerned for you, but we can still hope for good news. Maybe you're fused but have a hardware problem. Mmm, did you have hardware?

Yes, I know what you mean about pain and length of time. 24 hours can feel like a week! I'm glad you're a bit better, but 7-8 is still way too much. I hope it will continue to settle down as you rest today.

Take care!
Emily

Old 02-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Do you know what , or have you heard, what a hardware problem is like??
I have a titanium plate and some screws.

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations

Closed Thread