It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
(male)

tsirhc HB User
bulging disk advice

hi ive just had the results from an mri scan,
it said i have posterior disc bulging at the c3/4 level.
signs of previous mild scheuermanns disease..
small, central disc herniation at level t8/9.
conclusion; small, central disc herniation at level t8/9.

im a bit confused my appointment is not until july which is four months away,
can anyone break this down for me please?
ive read different things, most saying pilates may be able to put the bulging disks right,(by shrinking them).
if anyone could give me advice on any experience they have with this, or if they could explain this to me as i am worrying about the scheuermanns,
thanks
chris

Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
(male)

webdude HB User
Re: bulging disk advice

Hi Chris..

Scheuermann's disease is a condition in which the normal roundback in the upper spine (called a kyphosis) is increased. Most people with Scheuermann's disease will have an increased roundback (or hump back) but no pain.

Your MRI shows a bulge and a herniation.. The bulge is most likely not causing your problem, as it is not herniated, or pushing on a nerver, unless it is a big bulge.... Your herniation could cause pain due to pressing on a nerve, if it is big enough, or sometimes, as the disc substance leaks out, it irritates your nerves..

What are the symptoms of your pain? In your neck or in your upper to middle back? Physical therapy and good posture will usually help.. It worked for me, but it does take a long time... It is suggested that you see a physical therapist to show you some good back strenghtening excercises and stretches to make your back strong... Also, try to find someone that is Mackenzie certified to help you push your herniation and bulge back in, at least a little bit..

God Bless,

Maurizio

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
(male)

tsirhc HB User

thanks for your advice, the pain is in the middle of my back, between my shoulders, and a tingling in my left arm, and sometimes a stiff neck. i appreciate the advice, it does help make it clearer,
many thanks
chris

Old 02-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

Hi - I have nearly the same diagnosis! Bulges at c5-6, c6-t1, and herniation at t6-7. What happened to you? Mine is an old rugby injury. I went through a LOT of things that unfortunately didn't help me.

I just had a discectomy and fusion at t6-7 on Feb. 1. I had a REALLY hard time finding info on thoracic disc problems - they're unusual. I don't consider myself jaded at all, even towards the disciplines that did not help. They were worth a try. I got to the point that there was nothing left to try besides surgery and even then I got lots of "2nd" opinions. I'm still in recovery, but no regrets.

The one recommendation I would strongly make is to start helping yourself NOW and not waiting until July. So, that means doing some research into which discipline and professionals you feel comfortable working with and getting films of your MRI to keep in your car to share with anyone and everyone who claims to be able to help you.

I am totally willing to share any insight I have - I wished and tried to find someone who had anything close to my diagnosis.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-26-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 AM   #5
(male)

TYPAPPY HB User

i also have bulging discs T T-678. for 10 years now. been to 9 ortho docs, neuro doc , chiros, physical therapy and many more. to this dat not a one has given me a diagnosis. my main complaint is that something back there is causing me shortness of breath. something is restricting me from getting air into my lungs. had heart and lungs checked. they are both ok. my question is did you every have the sob with your injury. any help will be appreciated, thanks

Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

Yes - definitely had shortness of breath. A PM dr. explained to me that the the impingement (sp?) of the nerves can do that. I'm still recovering (surgery was 2/1) and still have some SOB, but it's improving every day.

If you're having no improvement, are you looking at other remedies? I FINALLY did surgery after trying everything else, knowing that there are no guarantees with surgery. My thought was, what if surgery works? Won't I be glad I did it then? If it doesn't work, well, I already know what it's like to be in pain!

Good luck and do keep trying to improve your quality of living. Surely (hopefully?) Mecca is out there!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
(male)

tsirhc HB User

hey thanks for the advice, im not sure what caused mine?? i used to go to the gym alot, i work in a warehouse,(loads of lifting) i ride a bike everywhere, (bad posture). to be honest i really dont know which or if all of thesee set it of, it does play up more whilst on my bike?
the surgery i want to avoid if i can.
but all the best with your recovery.
oh let me know how it all goes,
thanks again
chris

Closed Thread