It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
(male)

Ed1936 HB User
Help! I've Fallen(many times) and I CAN Get UP.

Problem is that when making certain movements, or when stepping off a curb, I sometimes collapse. Anything that I'm holding flies out of my hands and I'm on the ground! Usually there is pain in an area just above my coccyx, but not always. It's not a balance problem. If I had to compare it to anything it would be fainting without the loss of consciousness.

I've had a C-Scan and MRI and have been to a neurosurgeon who couldn't help. I do have some spinal stenosis and other related aging spinal problems, but no sciatia so all the med folks tend to discount the possibility of nerve damage.

Has anyone had this problem? The neurosurgeon has referred me to pain management, but I'm not really in that much pain. Thanks for reading my first post to this forum.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User
Re: Help! I've Fallen(many times) and I CAN Get UP.

Ed
Welcome to our little world. I have read some posts that are similar to yours. I personally do not have the legs giving out problem. What did your MRI show sometimes people actually copy their MRI on here and people with experience in the MRI world can help put it to english. Justoneofus is great about explaining MRI's. I would see a different Dr or as many as it takes to get an answer. It would be really hard to have any kind of normal life if you fall all the time. Not to mention that you could get hurt.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

The nerves being compressed in the stenosis maybe is causing this. My leg especially left one gives me problems alot, and soemtimes it just quits working..i dont' have any nerves impinged, but they say chronically irritated?? got me. But, they usually send us all the therapy and injections etc and hope to find relief from those. Surgery always being the last resort. I hope you find some relief. no sciatica at all? no pain in the legs at all? I to would want to see the mri report..have they talked to you about doing any tests on your leg?

Old 02-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I agree with Clover and Yvette. I recently had spinal surgery on l5/s1 for spinal stenosis and falling was one of my main problems. I would definitely seek out another opinion.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
(male)

Ed1936 HB User

Well, I went back over my C-Scan and didn't see anything about spinal stenosis. The MRI CD was left with the neurosurgeon; not sure if it's mentioned on that report or if I just imagined it; probably the latter. It probably came up in conversation with on of the MDs and I guess it locked into my aging brain. Here are the results of my initial examination

1. Progressive lumbosacral spondylosis and facet arthropathy.

2. Moderate L4-5 Spondylosis.

I don't think the written report of the MRI added anything of significance. My brother, med school prof, who co-authored a book on MRIs looked at the CD of my MRI and thought I had a severely shattered disc, but the radiologist report downplayed this. The neurosurgeon also didn't think it was that bad, but he might have been influenced by the radiologist report.

That's it. Thanks for the inputs. I've been doing a lot of googling this morning and will follow through with pain management appointment on March 6, even though the ongoing pain is tolerable and I would consider as just a part of aging. It's just the falling that bothers me.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

ED,

I would think that perhaps you might want to make contact with a Spine Specalist. They should be the subject matter experts. I know that when I finally went to one it was the best thing that happened. The nuero surgeon that I saw had an MRI and an attempted myleogram done and said that he could not see anything really wrong for the most part and suggested that I get a third opinion. The was the best thing that he did for me.

I had surgery on the 12th for L4-S1 and things get better every day of the week.

Sir, I wish you the best
Roy47

Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Ed,
Here's a completely different thought, probably not what's going on, but worth mentioning. Sounds sort of like cataplexy. It's often but not always related to a sleep disorder. But your description of feeling like fainting but without loss of consciousness made me think of it.

Just a thought.

Blessings,
Emily

Closed Thread