It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

ktnap HB User
Acupuncture anyone?

I'm interested in knowing if acupuncture has helped anyone.

My PM dr. had mentioned this as a possible treatment on my initial visit. Since November, I've had the steroid shots... one SacroIliac injection and I'll be going for my 2nd nerve block (what the doctor called it, except they also call it epidural?) on March 15th, but I'm not holding out much hope for it.

I have slighty bulging disks but frequent nerve pain on my left side (particularly through the hip/foot).

Please respond if you've tried (or know someone who has tried) acupuncture and if it helped/didn't help, if it is a "cure" or a "maintenance" progam (i.e., in order to be helpful, will I need to continue throughout my life) plus "what" it helped (does it relieve pain caused by that compressed nerve feeling?)

When the dr. first mentioned it, I wasn't very open to it, but I think these shots aren't proving to be all [I]that[/I] either

Thanks for any information!
Kat

Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Acupuncture anyone?

Hi Kat --- I did it all back in '99 for a bulged disk and a herniated one. 6 injections, lots of PT, chiro, massages, and acupuncture. Can't really say which helped the most because i went from one to the other over an 18 month period. the herniation healed totally as it did not show up in '04 with another back injury and 2 different bulged disks. Sorry i couldn't be of more help. I have to say though that acupuncture is worth a shot.

ICC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Good Morning Kat.

I have been having accupuncture for the past 8 months. My Dr. (Internist) told me that accupuncture would help with the nerve pain. He sent me to a accupuncturist that is trained in the traditional Chinese method of accupunture.

My Accupuncturist told me that it would take 5 visits before I started to see relief. She was wrong, it was 6.

I get anywhere from 32-54 needles in my back, butt, legs... Once in awhile one will hurt, but she repositions it. She leaves them in for about 45 minutes and she does stim to some of them. Then I get about 30 minutes of accupressure after that...fun!.

Is it something that I can have done and say "I'm cured!" NO.
Has it helped? Yes.
I have an easing of my joint issues, my nerve pain is getting beter. I walk easier because of it.

Would I do it again? Yep.

I think of it as a long term thing combined with my physicial Therapy to provide relief. My insurance doesn't cover it, but it only costs $60 a visit and it's something that provides releive. My surgeon said to keep doing the combo of accu. and py.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
(female)

ktnap HB User

ibake&pray, Thanks for the information! $60 per visit sounds pretty steep. How often do you have to go?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
(female)

Lgrove HB User

I have a friend in England who has it regularly and swears by it. She recently had a revision to a fusion she had 15 years ago, she is doing great and accupuncture has been there for her the whole way thru. Curing her, no, but making her feel better, yes and she hasn't stop going and won't. Me, I'm chicken to try it, but if you aren't what do you have to loose, only something to gain I see, good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]I go once a week right now. I was going twice a week for awhile, but it got to be too much with two night of physical therapy a week also.

$60 isn't bad here in the DC area. Also the session lasts for 90 minutes, which comes out to .67 a minute. Not bad when I consider that she started learning accupuncture at her Grandfather's knee when she was 5.[/COLOR]

Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

I tried it for 2 bulges, 1 herniated. It was a bunch of relaxing, expensive naps for me. But, I was willing and hoping it would even provide some temporary relief. When you're getting to the end of the road in options, I think it's worth a shot.

Have you tried or considered Bikram yoga? It was the only thing that provided some relief until my discs degenerated to the point of needing surgery. I really believe the HOT yoga prolonged the inevitable, though. If you try it, be sure to get specific modifications from the instructor before diving in!

Best wishes. I really hope you find something that helps you.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
(male)

saversano HB User
Thumbs down Re: Acupuncture anyone?

Hello Kt ,
Well Where to start. I have an l5-S1 herniation with severe Sciatica since last june. I can make it to work every day and get through it but its rough walking to my car and all! I had 2 epidurals and PT 2 different times with only a little relief from the first shot (about 2 months). I did try accupuncture and it hurt like crazy. The Doctor said it would take 6 times to work ..I went for 5 with 0 results . The pain was exactly the same . When I was about to get in my car for the 6th one I thought of those needles going in my back, feet , arms , hands and who knows where else I just skipped it . So 60$ a shot for 5 treatments of 45 minutes of pain worse than the sciatica.
I GIVE UP .. Im having an open discectomy in Either may or June ..This just hurts too much every day in and day out.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi Kat

I had a herniated disk back in 2005 and real bad sciatica going down my left leg.

After 3 sessions my sciatica was cured an i havent had it as bad since.
It didnt cure my back an buttock pain but any inprovement was a bonus!

I must also say that after the sessions i did feel worse before it felt better!

I hope it works for you.

Best wishes

Old 04-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
(female)

spunky7300 HB User

Before my surgery almost 3 weeks ago I was having acupuncture treatments every 2 weeks from my pain doctor. I was a little skeptical at first; having needles stuck in me then having a TENS (I believe?) unit attached to some of them was not my idea of fun. Initially I was going for neck pain and tension headaches for my first accident. It worked great for my headaches and ok for my neck pain. After my second accident I was going to her every other time for my lower back and nerve pain. I think it is maintenance therapy but I really like it. I am a little sore when I get up from lying on my stomach for 30 minutes but after that wow I am ready to go. For me it doesn’t last long enough but I am willing to try anything that helps. I had an epidural, facet joint block, and nerve block on my low back. I did not see any results from them which led to the option of a PLIF and a laminectomy on L4-L5 3 weeks ago. I am going back to her in a week to see if I can still receive acupuncture after the surgery since I am still sore. I was up for trying anything before I considered surgery but it ended up that I needed it anyway, and I do not regret it. So I guess I would say try it and see how you like it.

Closed Thread