It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

whitsmom HB User
Do you have this with lower back pain?

I have had a flare of lower back pain for a bit over a week now. My chiro says it's some sciatica because the pain travels down my buttock, back of my leg and into my foot. I also had aching in both hips, but that seems to have gone away. But, I have also had aching pain in the fronts of both thighs. Does anyone ever have that when you have a flare-up of back pain? Sometimes, it feels like a burning/stinging sensation.

Any input would be very appreciated!

Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Do you have this with lower back pain?

[COLOR="Navy"]Whitsmom,

Welcome to the club. I was just saying to my DH how much the front of my thighs had been hurting with this flare up. You are not alone! And the pain description..sometimes it's like a dull achy pulse inside. I find that taking my pain pills, laying flat with my legs elevated helps more than anything else...except perhaps the hot tub.

If I get in and sit in the deepest part and just let the hear seep into my body it really helps relax the nerves and muscles...I could see me sipping a nice Bayou Blitz (a drink we concocted when we lived in the Panhandle of FL.)...yea, and then all those warning bells go off about drinking and taking these meds...boy they sure know how to ruin a lovely evening..SIGH...

ANYWAY, try sitting in a hot bath, water covering your legs...lay with legs above the level of your heart. Take your drugs and pace....it doesn't get rid of the pain, but it keeps the dogs alert!

hang in there....

BTW- I personally would be very careful with chiros. I watched my mom throw thousands of $ to them and end up with surgery anyway. Unless he takes x-rays and your spine doc. Oks it, I wouldn't go.....but that's just my 2 cents for the day!

Jill[/COLOR]

Last edited by ibake&pray; 02-26-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: I forgot stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

BlueSky555 HB User

Hello Whitsmom,

I have 2 bulging discs, L2/3, L4/5 and I have pain in my hips and especially down the front of my right leg, most of it at the top. It's mostly pain rather than the burning sensation. However, most of my pain is in the lower back area, of course.

I have problems sitting very long, standing/walking very long, and of course bending over. Most of the time, there is no comfortable position for me.

I just injured myself, causing the L2/3 a couple of weeks ago and have an appt. with neurosurgeon at the end of March.

The only thing that really helps me is moist heat and just getting up and down, whatever makes me feel better.

Hope this helps and keep me informed,

BlueSky555

PS: I agree with Jill's 2 cents

Last edited by BlueSky555; 02-26-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: addition

Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
(female)

whitsmom HB User

[QUOTE=ibake&pray;2822810][COLOR="Navy"]Whitsmom,

Welcome to the club. I was just saying to my DH how much the front of my thighs had been hurting with this flare up. You are not alone! And the pain description..sometimes it's like a dull achy pulse inside. I find that taking my pain pills, laying flat with my legs elevated helps more than anything else...except perhaps the hot tub.

If I get in and sit in the deepest part and just let the hear seep into my body it really helps relax the nerves and muscles...I could see me sipping a nice Bayou Blitz (a drink we concocted when we lived in the Panhandle of FL.)...yea, and then all those warning bells go off about drinking and taking these meds...boy they sure know how to ruin a lovely evening..SIGH...

ANYWAY, try sitting in a hot bath, water covering your legs...lay with legs above the level of your heart. Take your drugs and pace....it doesn't get rid of the pain, but it keeps the dogs alert!

hang in there....

BTW- I personally would be very careful with chiros. I watched my mom throw thousands of $ to them and end up with surgery anyway. Unless he takes x-rays and your spine doc. Oks it, I wouldn't go.....but that's just my 2 cents for the day!

Jill[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well, I GUESS I'm glad to know I'm not alone! Doesn't make it hurt less, but I guess I know that it is something that [I]can[/I] go along with lower back pain and I shouldn't get worried it's something else!

I trust my chiro completely. He never did a thing until he first took X-rays and studied them thoroughly. He has taken my blood pressure, listened to my heart, etc. In fact, one day, I was suffering so much pain in my chest (costochondritis) that he wouldn't do anything; he sent me directly to the hospital emergency room. He is very good!! With my neck, back, shoulder, chest issues, visiting him on occasion is the only way I keep moving sometimes!!

Thanks for replying!!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I agree with the other posters, sounds like a classic case of sciatia and I would definitely follow up with a spinal surgeon or neurosurgeon.

Take care and I pray you get some much needed pain relief.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
(female)

whitsmom HB User

Thanks to all three of you!! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this! Any symptoms I've ever seen listed for sciatica don't list the [I]fronts[/I] of the thighs as a possible place for pain, so when it popped up, I really had to wonder what the heck was going on! I suppose each person may have different symptoms, too. Thanks alot for your input!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I would personally hold off on any chiropratic stuff until evaluated by a surgeon..just to be on the safe side. The spine is a very big deal with lots of things in there that really matter, if already injured probably isn't a good idea to be twisting or jolting it ya know.

I hope you find relief and sometimes knowing we aren't the only ones having a symptom helps alot. Sometimes I would think I was crazy with the way mine change around.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
(female)

whitsmom HB User

[QUOTE=yvette777;2823395]I would personally hold off on any chiropratic stuff until evaluated by a surgeon..just to be on the safe side. The spine is a very big deal with lots of things in there that really matter, if already injured probably isn't a good idea to be twisting or jolting it ya know.

I hope you find relief and sometimes knowing we aren't the only ones having a symptom helps alot. [B]Sometimes I would think I was crazy with the way mine change around.[/QUOTE][/B]

This is SO true!! When you have had a particular problem before, but not a particular symptom with it, then it pops up suddenly, it makes you wonder!!

My chiro has been my salvation more than once with the back problems I have had for years!! If he feels he can't help, or he may make things worse, he won't touch me; he tells me to go see my doctor. I trust his judgement completely!!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 AM   #9
(male)

slabman HB User

Mom, been there, done that. The outside leg band pain is related to a stenosis(constriction) at the L4/L5 disk and the inner thigh is related to stenosis at the L3/L4. I had the L4/L5 area opened up and the outer pain has finally gone away. But now it's 3 mos. later and I'm having muscular aching throughout the lower back and stomach area....muscle relaxants don't seem to help. Not sure where to go with this.

As for your deal, you live with it as long as you can, then go to a NEURO-SURGEON and have an MRI. That'll tell you what's going on. DO NOT go to a plain old ORTHOPOD. YOou need the NEURO SURGEON guy. Good luck!

Last edited by slabman; 02-27-2007 at 06:42 AM.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

I myslef have had the pain in the upper portion of the thighs. After the surgery that I went through on the 12th of this month (S1-L4 -L5) fusion all of the systems that you state for the most part were present. I know what you are talking about. This went on for almost 2 years: since the surgery I feel so much better. Perhaps a Spine Specalist would be worth considering if the chiro Doc cannot make things better after a while.

I am glad that you have total faith in your doctors, to me this is a must. Listen to your body and it will tell you what to tell the doctors. It sounds like this is what you are doing.

Sir, I wish you nothing but the best.

Roy 47

Closed Thread