It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
(male)

g_w_bates HB User
spine fracture, and back brace

just recently my girlfriend fractured her spine in seven different places, and has to be in a neck brace and a back brace for a few months. she was very lucky and didnt need any surgury, she can also take off the back brace while laying down, but has to wear a neck brace at all times. i was wondering if anyone has any advice for her, anything that could help make life in those turtle shell like back braces a bit easier.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: spine fracture, and back brace

I want to welcome you here, I am sorry I can't give any advice on this situation. But prayers coming to you both!!! Vette.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

My daughter wore hard plastic back brace for three months during her waking hours. The one thing she found was that she wore little undershirts without seams under the brace. I was able to find them at our local Meijer store for about $6 each. If she wore anything with a seam it really bothered her. So look for shirts that are seamless. She wore big sweatshirts and sweats during this time because she could wear them over the brace easily.

She found it very uncomfortable in the warm weather, but that shouldn't be a problem for your girlfriend with the weather we're having in Mich right now. I certainly hope this helps for her. Being uncomfortable in the brace for a few months is a lot better than facing surgery. Best wishes. cas

Old 02-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi GW,
I think it's wonderful that you're on here trying to find some help for your girlfriend.

Is she in pain? Is she able to get around the house pretty well? Is she working?

There is a thread on less stress on your back around the house that might have some tips she could use. You can copy/paste: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=468037&highlight=less+stress+on+back+around+the+house[/url]

Also, even though she hasn't had surgery, she might find some helpful tips in the thread at the top of the page called "post surgery tips." If you don't see it, you can copy/paste it: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=19953[/url]

One huge help to her would be a grabber tool. It's about 2 1/2 or 3 feet long and has a handle at one end and a little gripping claw at the other end. For someone who can't bend, the grabber tool is priceless! They run around $30 and can be found at medical supply stores and at many pharmacies with the durable medical supplies. If she doesn't have one, you could get her one and put a great big bow on it. She might think it's silly at first, but after only one day, she'll be carrying it with her everywhere! And you'll score many brownie points for getting it for her!

I wish you both the best!

Blessings,
Emily

Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
(male)

g_w_bates HB User

first i would like to say thank you for the replies. right now she is on some pretty good pain meds and is doing allright. she is moving around a bit and is alsogoing up and down stairs with little problem. and i was thinking a graber tool would be helpful especially since she cant reach practically anything in front of her, her plastic covered chest gets in the way. i think the hardest part for her is using the bathroom because she cant reach herself, and feels bad because she needs help. she works at a grocery store, and cant work for a while, so has plenty of time to rest and hopefully feel a lot better.

Closed Thread