It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
(male)

v8crazy HB User
Why don't docs tell you everything?

I have had a couple low back surgeries, the last on a lumbar fusion. Plus I have had many injections. I am seeing a pain management doc that doesnt do very much. I have been seeing him over a year and the most meds he perscribed me is 4 hydrocodone a day. He wants me to have a spinal cord stimulator trial now. My insurance company wanted me to have a second opinion first. They set me up with a top notch doc at a major university hospital and sent him my records. I saw him last week and we had a good long talk. He told me a stimulator may work well for me. He told me that oral meds usually don't work well for Arachnoiditis. I said WHAT. My pain doc has never mentioned arachnoiditis to me. The doc then told me it shows up on the old mri he received and even the mri report even said arachnoid scarring.
I was floored. Why didn't my regular doc tell me about this??? Maybe he was afraid all those spinal shots made it worse or something. I liked my doc but now I have a shadow of doubt about trusting him to do the stimulator.
Both docs do stimulator surgery. My origional doc does the trial by installing the leads and temp stimular and sends you home for 3 days to see how good it works. The new doc that I saw keeps you at the rehab place for a week or two and they work with you everyday to get it adjusted right he said.The second opinion doc is also a professor of neurosurgery at a university med school.
WHY can't docs tell us people everything? We are not children.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Re: Why don't docs tell you everything?

Hi V8

That must have come as a big surprise!

Thats the trouble!
Doctors can relate the MRI findings in different ways and some things do get missed thats why its always wise to get a second opinion on things.

I have not heard of Arachnoiditis,what is it?

I hope you get sorted soon

Best wishes

Last edited by sherry1; 02-27-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

In my opinion, this is way one should always have a 2nd opinion. I am sorry this happened to you.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"]
Hi V8 ,
I know what you mean by doctor's not telling you everything ,but you should have known you were going to have scar buildup after a couple surgeries ? My pain managemnt Dr. told me I have arthritis in my back due to surgeries , I said no I don't ! He said yup you do , anyone who has a couple surgeries get it. I didn't know !

I'm also getting the trial stim , now that you mentioned the stay in the center,I'll bring that up to because the doctor's office is so far away from where I live and if anything were to go wrong Yikes ! I'd be in trouble.
Keep me posted on your SCS. When ya getting the trial ?[/SIZE]

Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I have never understood this either. It seems as if they think, if they don't tell us...we'll somehow cure ourselves cause we don't know anythings wrong. This left me actually feeling like I was nuts. I to believe that we have to get second or third opinions if needed. Also I am a strong believer in reading your own mri report and researching so you can understand stuff. Although, the doctors don't usually read the reports...just trying to understand myself.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

Arachnoiditis is the surgical complication that doctors don't talk about if they did most surgical patients would quietly back out of their offices . When I first saw a neurologist he immediately jumped to the conclusion that I had arachnoiditis. I was floored. It turned out that he was wrong.

But the treatment for arachnoiditis is zilch. One of the theories out there is that the so called "failed back syndrome" is in many cases arachnoiditis. I am very sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with this condition. The good news is that you have to distinguish between chemical induced and surgical induced arachnoiditis. Chemical induced arachnoiditis happened with some frequency years ago when the contrast substances used for myleograms were in fact causing the disease. Those chemicals are not used today.

Surgical arachnoiditis tends to be localized while chemical induced is not. So that is the good news. Good luck and I hope that you get some very good ongoing pain treatment.

Closed Thread