It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Yep! Some More SpinalCord Stim Question's

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]

Hey ,
I was just surfing around the web , and was reading about the stim ,while there putting in in you they ask you if it's helping when there putting it in well like me sometimes it only slightly throbs/aches most of the times , but when I walk or do anything ,bend or whatever it kill's me. So how are they gonna know if they get the leads right ? I'm surprized this question doesn't come up more.

What I'm asking is am I the right fit for this ? My surgeon thinks to seem so ,so does my PM Dr. Just tired of being poked and cut open it makes me sad. No wonder people get anxiety disorders! I wish more people who has this would jump in and help me out here. I read that they put the leads in by a needle or a small incision , I would want the small incision so they got it perfect..Plus I would want a over night stay in the hospital because I'm so far from home. Would this be a question for my doctor ?

On the 8th I go talk to this doctor about getting this , does it hurt getting it done ? I know I'm in pain now but it's a different pain than getting a needle jammed into ya

Thanks for your help , sure hope to get some answer's[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: Yep! Some More SpinalCord Stim Question's

HI Shawley,
I haven't been around in a very long time.
Thought I would pop in and see what is going on.
I'm nor sure I really understand your question, I'll try to help you all I can if I can.
From what I understand you have not had the implant yet, right?
Have you had the trial done yet?
Let me know and I'll be more then happy to help.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley has not had anything done yet. He is researching everything.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Thanks for the info dietdrpepper!!

Shawley I knew you were considering the SCS sometime ago when I was here.
Your very wise to get all the info you can before going ahead.
I will try to be as informative as possible with out being negative. I believe you know my experience was not a good one and now I am having complications from the surgeries.
I have also talked to a lot of people that have had the same problems as mine so I don't believe it to be that abnormal.
First and most importantly is to make sure that the Dr you have to do the implant is very experienced with the implant and has done many successful implants, only let a Dr you have faith in and trust do the implant and very important make sure that he will be there for you should you have ANY problems after the implant.
Find out rather someone in his office or if it will be a rep. from the company that will be doing the reprogramming after the implant should you need it and you will, until the leads are firmly scarred in the will move.
There is just so much involved in this and they like to make you think it is as easy as pie, "NOT".
The trial should be anywhere from 3 to 10 days usually somewhere in between the longer it's in the higher the chance of getting infection because the inscion site is not closed.
It's kind of hard to really get a good effect from the trial since the leads do move so much. However it's not bad doing the trial.
Then unless you do feel that you get at least 50% or more relief from the trial you should not have the implant done and know that even if you do get good results with the implant it is rare that you will be med free.
The SCS is only useful for nerve pain and then it needs to be in a fairly localized area because it is hared to get coverage if the pain is wide spread.
I'm not good with the technical terms but anyway they may only be using the leads now that have paddles and have to be surgically attached so there is Les chance of them falling, even if they don't it is very wise to get the kind of leads with paddles as the others it is very common for them to fall, The surgery though with the leads with the paddles is more intense, but if your going to have this done and it si a surgery and expensive you want to do it right.
I'll answer more questions if you have any to ask there is much more I can tell you but I don't want to flood you all at once.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Linda

Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hey Shawley,

How are you doing? I know I haven't been on much lately (not feeling that great these days). I hope everythings going okay for you and that your days are getting a little easier.

Maybe another idea about this scs, is to ask your doctor if he has any videos showing people wearing them, bending, walking ect. I realize that everyones different with different procedures and all, but this might atleast give you an idea of how people with them can/can't do things.

Take care and just know that I'm thinkin of ya!! Hoping and praying that your days are getting better.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="3"]
Linda ,
Thanks for the info , I just might ask to skip the trial and go for the paddle leads..I'm sure I'll get some sort of relief right ? I haven't met this Dr. yet so I don't even know what he's like. When you had this done is there alot of pain getting this put in ? I'd like to be totally out for this. I did get a videoon the anas or whatever you call it , but it's cartoon figure's. Plus would I ever be able to do any kid of physical work with it? Not like I can now anyway but was curious. I'm just tired of this darn back it's time to try somthing. What problem did you get from having this done ? I'm sorry I know you told me before but my memmory has got so bad.

TucsonLady,

Sorry your feeling crappy ,I'm not feeling good myself. It's good to see you again. Like I said to Linda the only thing I got to see was cartoon figures and there always happy. lol

Thanks for thinking of me ,i hope things make a turn for you also , no one (except Bin Laden ) should have to live in pain. So whats been going on with you ? [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 02-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Shawley,
First off you can not have the implant until you have the trial, it is mandatory from the Dr's and the insurance companies.
Most ins. co. and some Dr's require that you have a physc. evaluation before you can go through with any of this, for a couple of reasons, one being that they believe you can deal with having a foreign object implanted and another to make sure that your pain is not mainly physiological.
You can not be completely knocked out when having the trial or the implant, mind you, you don't feel the pain, you will be out then they will bring you around to ask if and where you are feeling the sensations at, as to be sure the leads are in the right place.
The trial is so hard to tel because the leads are not attached there is just maybe one or two small stitches holding them in place and the battery that is usually implanted in the buttock is just on the out side in a pouch, so every time you move the leads jump around and it's really hard to tell what kind of coverage you get.
With the trial and the implant you can not bend, lift or twist or raise your arms over your head, and have to be very careful when sleeping about turning over, now the trial is only until you have it out, But when and if you have the implant it is for 6 weeks and it's VERY important to follow all post op. instructions.
It is the scar tissue forming to hold the leads in place that takes time and is so important.
Now once you have healed you will be able to most of what you want,, I believe there is a limit on lifting weight and a few other things but not major.
I followed my instructions to a tee and my leads still would not stay in place.
As I said the Dr that does this is very important.
As for me now I am having complications from scar tissue ion my T spine from the surgeries and the leads being placed.
Linda

Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]

Linda ,
Morning , I was worried about the trial since I lived so far away from my Doctors office , i was reading about this and they said some doctors let it in for a couple hour's only to see if it helps with the pain. That would be nice if he could do it this way. When you said 6 weeks , this is for the implant? What do you mean by this is for 6 weeks ? As you know I'm on worker's comp so I'm a little worried they may not want to pay for this? Never had a problem with them before ,but I couldn't afford to pay out of the pocket.
You have been so helpful , I am very thanksful for your help.[/COLOR]

Old 03-01-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Shawley,
In all truthfulness I don't see how anyone would be able to determine in a couple of hours if this would work for them or not. It was hard enough to get a good idea and I had mine in for a week.
I'm sorry the Dr is so far away, I know as for myself and the others that I have talked to it took many trips afterward to get the right programs in the stimulator so that it covered the pain areas.
It is extremely vital that you DO NOT DO ANY LIFTING, BENDING, TWISTING OR TURNING AND DO NOT LIFT YOUR ARMS ABOVE YOUR HEAD FOR 6 WEEKS.
You also have to be very careful when getting in and out of bed I was taught to do what they call the log roll so as not to move the leads.
Shawley, please know I hope and pray that this is the answer for you and that it gives you the PM you so need and deserve.
It knocked me for a loop when my implant failed as I had put so much in to it and since I have talked to so very many that have suffered the same problems, I know that are those that it has worked for and may you be one.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I just don't want you to go through what I did and as I said may you be one that it works for!!
Linda

Old 03-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Linda ,
Sounds really gloomy ! To be affraid to do anything ,lifting my arms /getting in bed ? My Goodness this sounds like a nightmare. I'm not a very positive person any more ,thanks to these surgeries and failures that came with it. I'm just so confused to where to go with this problem anymore.

Thanks for your help Linda ,maybe I can set somthing up with my doctor about staying somewhere close ,workers comp won't pay for a hotel or gas mileage ,said I could of got a Dr. closer to me ??? I tried but no one will see me after I had a fusion , I was turned down so many times.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Shawley,
I know all to well how you feel, this is why I don't want to be negative about the SCS but also want to be upfront enough that you don't place all your hopes in this one place.
I can't begin to tell you how it knocked the wind out of me and I was so ready to give up when it failed.
I had been told how it was my last hope period, only it wasn't.
I'm on methadone and baclofen and cymbalta for the pain now and have to say it works better then anything I had tried so far, even if the SCS had worked I still wouldn't have been pain free.
Just know that this isn't the only hope out there for you should it not be the answer, don't give up!!
If I can be of any help please let me know, I care.
Linda

Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="3"]
Linda,
I sure hope it work's , I don't want to have to rely on Dr.'s to fill my scripts anymore , as you probably know I had troubles with my meds ,thinking I could quit my morphine and take an extra oxy in it's place didn't work well for me..I see the doctor who left without notice tomorrow , I have to drive 2 hours away to see him..No other doc's will give me those meds. So I have to.

I'm just gonna try to stay positive about this whole thing like you said maybe it will work for me ???

Thanks again Linda ,
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley - I will be lifting you up in prayer tomorrow and I pray that you are able to iron everything out with the doctor concerning your meds.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Shawley,
I will keep sending out positive thoughts and prayers your way..
A positive attitude is the only way to go.

Linda

Old 03-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #15
(female)

Pooh lady HB User
Thumbs up Re: Yep! Some More SpinalCord Stim Question's

Hey Shawley,
PLEASE REMEMBER: Everyone is different and results are not typical ok?
Just had the trial SCS put in on Monday (2-26) it helped me so much! I'm having the last part of the surgery on Tuesday (3-6). Could not get over that this SCS could help so much. For me when the SCS is on I don't have that PAIN in my leg, calf and foot and toes! I have turned it off just to see if I'm really relieved of pain or what. I can tell you that when I turn it off my pain comes back! So needless to say HAVE NOT turned it off to much! I will say a prayer for you that your's works as well!
Did I read right that you are having your trial put in on March 8?
Praying for success for you!
Love & prayers,
Kelly (Pooh lady)

Closed Thread