It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

texaschick83 HB User
Newbie with questions please!!

I'm a 24 year old female with severe chronic pain!! I have scoliosis with a 25% curve. Apparently a bone is sitting on my sciatic nerve constantly pinching it and causing left leg and foot pain. I also have two bulging discs.

I have tried over the counter medication, exercises, and vicodin (which is only effective when you are able to go to sleep b/c it knocks you out!!) And last year I was referred to a pain clinic for a spinal block. I put it off for a year b/c the thought of it scared me!! Finally I went b/c the pain is unbearable and it was an awful experience. I developed one of those spinal headaches and the next day was in the er with an iv!! And on top of it the injection did not help!!

My primary care doctor has re-referred me to a scoliosis surgeron but they are booked out until April and I'm taking pain meds (at night) for the time being.

My question is can anyone relate?? Does anyone have any suggestions?? I've researched a surgery called a laminectomy where they apparently remove a piece of your bone. Which at first scared me, but now I'm like WHATEVER helps the pain!! I'm not sure if this is an option for me I've just done my own personal research.

Is their any options left?? I don't care if it does boil down to surgery b/c I hurt so bad constantly!!

Thank ya'll so much for reading this and hopefully someone has an idea!!

Have a great day!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Newbie with questions please!!

[SIZE="3"]
Hey Tex ,
First off welcome to the board .
I don't know if a Lami would help you out or not , I had one but it was for spondy , slippage of the disc , I"m sorry but I don't know how they treat scoliosis , I do know your pain tho , it stinks..

Someone may be able to answer your question's. I hope .[/SIZE]

Old 02-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

texaschick83 HB User

Thank you!!

Yeah I'm not sure if it would help. I just heard with that surgery they can remove a small portion of the bone and it would take the pressure off the nerve. Thats not coming from the doctor though it's what I've read.

I'm just so miserable!! 24 is way too young for severe pain. And I get no relief so I sit and fight tears all day!!

And I'm sorry for what you are dealing with!!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"]

Tell me about it ,I been sitting around in pain since I was 38 , way to young ! I'm sure your Doc will do somthing for ya . Hang in there ![/SIZE]

Old 02-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I would research alot about your condition. I know that sometimes they do fusion for this. I have read accidentaly somewhere else (I didn't know it was a scolisosi thing) and everyone was ranting and raving about how the fusion helped them. I don't know alot about it though.

It is tough waiting for appointments, they are always so far out. As far as the pain meds etc they all effect us differently and if one isnt' working good, talk to your doctor about possibly switching.

For example vicodin keep me awake and don't make me feel bad.
percocet make me sleep and feel like i am going to puke
So i stick with vicodon. But we are all different.

Another thing, since your wait is so long, maybe you should go ahead and schedule a second opinion now with another doctor...that way you don't have to wait around for it later. Just a thought. wishing you the best vette

Closed Thread