It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

cheeto3 HB User
Shot, Pain????

I am going for a Shot today for mostly my sciatica pain.My neurosurgeon is going to give me a shot in my back for the pain at the Hospital today.He said it is not Cortizone but like it,not sure of what it is.My question is "Is it painful"? Sorry I am dreading the big needle,hate needles.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Shot, Pain????

Is he doing an epidural nerve block?? I pray that you receive relief from this injection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

cheeto3 HB User

Maybe that is what it is,sorry he just said this should help with my sciatic pain.I hope it helps too but hope it doesn't hurt like h*ll to get the shot.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

schragie HB User

Hope it went okay for you. When I received back injections my doc gave me "twilight" sedation, which caused me to barely remember anything. Hope you got the same!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
(female)

cheeto3 HB User

I am not getting any sedation or pain releif,just the big needle in my lower back.I am driving myself there and back so cannot take much of my pain med's!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

You might need someone to drive you back and forth or worse case call a cab especially if he is doing a nerve block. My leg was 100% rubber and I could not put any weight on it.

Good Luck.

Last edited by ms_west; 02-27-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

I had the rubber leg thing too with one of my injections. I suspect if the medical staff finds out they would not let you drive home. Plus it could be dangerous to yourself and to others.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
(male)

picnica HB User

had them done a 10 times. I had rubber legs, but could still drive. It does hurt, but only the novacane needle. After that it is not bad until they inject the meds. That is a weird hurt. Good luck

Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
(female)

cheeto3 HB User

Well no pain killers but my Neurosurgeon did put freezing into my lower back which of course I felt the needle a bit but not too bad.They had me strapped in and put a pillow under my arms (what was that all about!).I know I would never move a hair with a needle going into my spine but I guess some people do.He then proceeded to put in the (can't remember the name) but he said it is like cortizone shot but a milky substance.It took about 20 minutes before he was finished and even with the freezing I could feel some bits of the needle and the pressure but all in all up to that point it was bearable.I really prepared myself for the worse.The last bit he put into my disc,lower back area really made me hit the roof cause it hit all of my left leg sciatic nerves which he told me it was really good as he got the right spot.I was happy with that but when I got up to walk the pain and the weakness in my left leg was unreal.I hobbled out and took a while to walk around a bit before driving home.
I thought that when I got this shot it would work right away or maybe the next day but he said that I will not even feel anything different for 3 days and up to 3 weeks.
I told my work that I would most likely be in tomorrow but that doesn't seem to be the norm per my Neurosurgeon.I am hoping that work doesn't think that I am such a baby with this.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

The first one is always the toughest. They became so routine for me, I would get my injections and go right back to work without skipping of course. I was sore, but had my ice pack and my meds at the office to control the pain.

It DOES take a bit for the medication to really get in there to know if you got any relief. AND.. often it may take the full series (usually 3 injections spread out over a few weeks apart) to really see full effects.

Glad it wasn't as bad as you anticipated. I think the worst usually also then it's not as bad when it happens.

This rule has worked for me, for the exception of the discogram.. which was so much more painful that I ever imagined.

Let us know how you are doing.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I think it depends on which shot they are doing. The caudal one wasn't nearly as bad as the others. The needle being smaller etc.

I think its like a dentist you can have an awesome one or a bad one.
The first one i had they told me they were going to numb it first, and they didn't they put it all in one and I came unglued and was crying.

Now with a different doctor who did the same one, he numbed it first and when I would start saying ouh from the pressure he would back off for a second and then go ahead. It made all the difference.

Some people don't have much problems at all, I am a big wussy!!

Closed Thread