I had lumbar fusion of L4/L5 in 2004. The surgery went well but after several months I started having the lower back pain again along with the extreme pain traveling down my left leg and into my foot (sciatic nerve) I have been seeing a pain managment doctor since the surgery and he has performed numerous procedures including facet injections (2). I still have to take hydrocodone on a daily basis to help with the pain. I was told today by both my neurosurgeon and the pain management doctor that I need to have a mylegram CT done since it shows better post-operatively what might be going on. They suspect it could be scar tissue building up. If the mylegram doesn't show any abnomalities, then they want me to have the spine stimulator implanted. Has any gone through this recently? Can you give me some insight about the mylegram or the stimulator? I have an appointment on March 1st to start the inital phase for the stimulator. Any info would be appreciated.
I would be wanting to know if it's another disk thats herniated or something else before having a scs implanted. Is your surgeon a spinal specialist? I'm just curious as to why they would suggest that before knowing for sure whats causing the problems.
I also had fusion of L4-5 in 2004, and have experienced alot of what your describing. I've had Ct's and x-rays done. Not the Mylogram though. Just recently I've found out that I'm not fused!! Also, that I have a herniation at L5-S1, lots of DD and a bulge at L3-4. So, I'm right there with you in the pain dept. I've been doing stretches, had trigger point injections, heat, ice, various meds, and have gotten very little relief.
I hope all works out well for you and that your Ct will show whats going on. Take care and please keep us posted on what you find out and how your doing.
I agree with Tusconlady - - I would not agree to an implant especially if I did not have testing to attempt to diagnose the cause of my pain. The implant is not always successful and I would not consider it before exploring all my other options first. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your reply. I am scheduled for my mylogram tomorrow March 6Hopefully they will find out what is going on. I completely sympathize with you about the pain and frustration of not getting any relief. Are you planning on having further testing, or any more surgery? I am a little anxious about having this mylogram done. They say it is not painful, but I am told that I have too be flat on my back for 24 hours after the procedure, and then no strenuous activity for 2 days. But then again, what could be different from the pain I am already in, right? I will keep you posted on the results. Let me know how you are doing also.
Thank you also for your opinion. It is alot to think about and decide. But you and tucsonlady40 are right, I will not agree to anything until I get the results of the mylogram. I will keep you informed. Take care.