It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

Shannamae HB User
newbie here

Hi I had back surgery almost 2 years ago, on my lower back. I had been having severe sciatica pain and the doctor felt that I needed to have the surgery. The surgery went fine and I have been feeling great. Last week, I started getting severe pain shooting through my lower back down my legs. It felt like someone had taken a shock paddle and sent electricity through my body. The pain was so severe that I fell to the ground. I am continuously getting these burst of severe pain where I can not stand. I went to the doctor today and they think I may have re-herniated the disk. Does anyone know what will happen now? I am already tired of the pain...

Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
(female)

bailey17 HB User
Re: newbie here

Shannamae,
I had a re-herniation and just had a second surgery (laminectomy)on Jan 25th. I can only tell you what happend to me. When I contacted my surgeon initially after having pain again I was put on Steroids and pain meds, then started pysical therapy. When none of those helped at all and the pain was getting worse instead of better I had a second MRI done and then had the second surgery.
I feel 5 million times better now (knock on wood) I hope the same will happen for you. Wising you a pain free night!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Well Shanna.. can you tell us what type of surgery you had.. that is important info to know.. as there are many different types.

I am going on the assumption you had a disectomy of sorts if they are stating possible reherniation.

Well, if this is the case, you could be in for meds, injections, PT, and or a "redo" surgery, and or/ possible fusion depending on what is going on in there now.

First off, they need to either do an MRI or a CT Scan.. was one ordered?

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi and welcome to the board,

I'm sorry that your having to deal with back issues. I've definately been there and done that. Still am.

Did your Doc suggest doing any tests to determine if the disk did in fact reherniate? If not, ask him to. It's not uncommon for this to happen. It happened to me and alot of others. Your not alone!!

What will happen next is really yours and your dr.s call. A redo of this surgery is okay, hopefully it would last longer!! As for me, I reherniated and with other issues, had to have a fusion.

Hang in there and take care. Your not alone. You will get lots of supportive people here, supporting you.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
(female)

Shannamae HB User

Thanks everyone. Yes I had a disectomy and had been feeling great. When they did the first surgery, I had 2 bulging discs one low and one above. They only operatedon the lower one thinking that was the cause of all my pain. The pain I am having now seems almost worse than before the surgery. They have ordered another MRI this will be the third one that i have had. I have already done some PT and that did not seem to help. I guess we wait and see what the MRI says. I would be willing to have the second surgery just to be out of pain. I am wondering if the doctor should have done a fusion when he operated. I will keep you updated.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
(female)

bailey17 HB User

Hi Shannamae,
It sounds like we could be twins! Like I told you in an above post I origionally had the micro D (June 06) and then less than a year later I had to have a laminectomy. I just had it done on Jan 25, 07. I now am pain free and feel fantastic. I had asked my neurosurgeon if I needed a fusion seeing as I reherniated so quickly after my 1st surgery and he told me no. He wanted to still kind of stay on the "conservative" track not that surgery is conservative but a fusion is nothing to mess around with. Hopefully the laminectomy will have cured the problem and I will not need further surgery (if I do it will be a fusion). Everyone one is different and once you have the MRI and discuss the results with your Dr I am sure you will have a better handle on what to do next. Maybe a fusion will be more benefical? Only your Dr and you can decide that. Keep your spirits up I know how frustrating it can be to be in pain all the time. Thinking of you and wishing you well!

Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
(female)

Shannamae HB User

I got the results from the MRI today and I definitely reherniated the disc that was operated on almost 2 years ago. They are going to do a series of 3 cortizone injections to see if this helps. I have never had these injections before and am a little nervous. If anyone else has had these a little light on the subject would be much appreciated.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
(female)

Shannamae HB User

Thanks so much, yes it is very frustrating because I feel like no one really understands especially my family. I get the worst spasms and it literally drops me to the floor. I am going to do the injections, praying that these help but the research I have done so far show that there is no lasting effect from these. At this point I am willing to do almost anything to be out of pain and be able to sleep comfortably and all night again...thanks for your thoughts and prayers they are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

HI there. You are not alone at all. The Injections are not a cure, but hopefully will help ease your pain. And if that can keep you from the surgery table.. that's always a plus.

And you are right, unless someone has experienced this level of pain, they don't understand it, and there is no way of explaining it to them either. And I have seen so many tell me that they "know" how I feel and "I know" they dont. But that's okay.. I would rather them not truly know and hope they never do. Ya know? hehehe.

The epidurals are not that bad. The first one is intimidating, but I never saw a needle ever and I had many of them. You can expect to be quite sore from them, as they inject a lot of medication in there and it kind of "pools" until it can soak/absorb into the tissue and surrounding areas where injected. So it comes with some discomfort from that alone.

My second injection in the series.. I went out to lunch, went shopping, and drove 1.5 hour back home.

After that.. I went in on my lunch hour for most of them.. and went right back to work for the remainder of the day. I took my pain meds/had my ice pack and kept on working.

Just do what I did.. tell them you are total sissy and to numb you royally! It worked like a charm for me everytime! And I am not a sissy at all! Well most of the time! hehehe.

Let us know how you are doing. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
(female)

Shannamae HB User

Well..I am scheduled for the first injection April 2. I am a little upset that it is three weeks out, in the mean time I am just trying to remain patient. Apparently there are only 2 doctors at the lab they want me to go to and they are totally booked. Thank you so much for the information, I am a sissy hehe and will tell them to numb me royally like you say. I am glad that right now we arent doing surgery, I am hoping these help. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #11
(female)

Shannamae HB User
Unhappy Re: newbie here

I had my first injection on Monday, and I am in excruciating pain. This has been going on the third day, I thought that the injections were suppose to give relief not more pain. I can barely walk, I can not bend at all, and I can't straigten out my leg. Is this normal

Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

You might consider asking them if they have a cancellation list and if you could be put on it.

Closed Thread