It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

Vicky67 HB User
Opinions wanted on Cat Scan Results

Hello everyone just an update on that cat scan. In my previous post I filled everyone in on my progress. I had my surgery in Nov 2006 it has been better but experiencing new pain and numbness. Well I went to my doc. today and he informed me that everything looks good and my nerve pain and leg and foot numbness needs more time to heal. [B]I read somewhere that if at 6 months time if a nerve doesn't heal there is a possilbility that it won't.[/B] Has anyone heard anything like that? Here are the results.

Intertranverse bone grafting is also presnt along with interbody fusion placement. No definite solid bony incorporation is yet noted in the intertranverse bone graft or interbody bone graft areas. The above mentioned spinal insturmentation does limit soft tissue and osseous detail due to beam hardening artifact. However, no bony central canal compromise or bony foraminal stenosis is seen from L4-S1. Laminewctomy defect is seen at the L4-5 and L5 and S1 LEVELS.

[B]The conclusion of this test was: [/B]
There are postsurgical changes at the lower lumbar spine as noted. This limits evaluation of soft tissue and osseous detail,however, no overt HNP is seen and the bony central canal and bony foramina are widely patent.
Mild degenerative changes are seen involving the upper lumbar spine from L1 to L4 without HNP, significant central canal compromise or significant foraminal stenosis from L1-L4.

I really would like some of your thoughts about this. It sounds very good to me but I'm still thinking about the long term effect of my nerve being so in a uproar all this time. Kinda scary I know you guy's are not doctor's but I love to get your thoughts because we all have so much in common. We should have a family reunion in the future.

fusion@L4-s1,2 rods,6 screws
laminectomy L5-S1
Nov.13,2006

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: Opinions wanted on Cat Scan Results

It sounded good to me to, but ofcourse I am not a doctor!!! Sounds good!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Opinions wanted on Cat Scan Results

from what i was told by my NS after my spinal cord surgery when we were discussing nerve crap,he said that it can take up to a full year at times(so many different factors can play a big part in this)for a nerve to grow and to also heal itself.but there is always the possibility once a nerve is actually healed that it could actually heal the 'wrong' way? it isn't quite the same as it was before the actual injury was done whether that is from a direct injury or surgical,it doesn't appear to matter to the nerve,it will grow and heal its own way.this in itself can cause a whole new type of pain syndrome or process if it decides to "heal" a bit differently than the norm.unfortunetly when you are dealing with nerves alot of things are kind of a crap shoot at best,but your report,i am not a doc either trust me,does appear to be more good news than bad news tho,so thats a big thing there anyway.

basically,if after a years time,you don't have feeling back or the nerve hasn't 'righted' itself,it will most likely be the way it is at that year point.like i said,alot of different factors determine the rate and the way any given nerve will heal.i suffered alot of actual c spine nerve loss to both motor and sensory,and after all these years now(surgery was in 03) i have gotten 'back" a very tiny amount of what i actually lost.most of my damage is permanent.but i had lost the ability to even walk after the surgery and was able to regain that lost leg so that for me is really more than enough to make me thankful for what i DO still have.its all relative ya know?i do hope things eventually get back to full normal for you.good luck,Marcia

Closed Thread