It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User
Recovery Time L4 - S1

Hello to all,

Here is a question that I have not seen mentioned in the short time that I have been involved at this site.

It seems to me that my left leg is alot weaker than than the right side is. It seemed to me that the left side was always more in pain than the right side was throughout the long ordeal before the surgery. Is this a common trait so to speak?

I can lift my right leg more and higher than the left leg. I noticed this after the wife was putting on my socks the other night after the shower and stuff.

Why is this so???:
wave:
Roy

Old 02-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
(male)

CraigRSW HB User
Re: Recovery Time L4 - S1

Hi Roy, sorry to hear your not doing well. pressure on the sciatic nerve could cause the symptoms you describe. i have a condtion called foraminal stenosis and this gives me the symptoms your describing. but there is probably a long list of others that could cause these symptoms. have a long chat with your doctor. us amateurs are good on here but get some professional advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi, my left leg is by far weaker than my right. I have spinal stenosis and my leg prior to my fusion would give out all the time. I was told that this was due to sciatia nerve. Since my fusion 4 weeks ago, I have not fallen once. However, my left leg continues to be weak and I suspect I will have to work with my surgeon and pt to strengthen it at a later date.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]
This question I never got a straight answer from the doc , when I walk I get the jolting down my left leg , at the same time it feel's like my leg has got really week. ? I have no problem lifting my leg tho ? It's really weird . It seems if I put pressure on my spine I get this problem.

Guess I'm asking the same question huh ? Sorry and hope they figure it out for ya ,if ya do find out give me a shout back..[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

My left leg is my problem to!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Small world eh ? Welcome to the left leg club. [/B][/COLOR][QUOTE=yvette777;2829030]My left leg is my problem to!!![/QUOTE]

Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Make room for one more. My doctor told the PA the reason that I lost use of my left leg was when my broke, the bones pushed against that nerve and that nerve was the left leg big one.

I can finally raise my left leg and have more response in it than I thought I was going to. I kick backwards really well. Front wards is another story. I still have problems with stairs. I will feel it start to buckle, but I am so attuned to it now that I automatically catch it so I don't fall.

Another two years of therapy...he thinks. (yea, riiiiiggggghtt.)[/COLOR]

Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[SIZE="3"]
Hi Jill ,
Welcome to the club . I just started a thread about the S1 funny thing is I never had anything done to my S1 so why the foot pain ? My surgery was on L4-L5 or was it L5-S1 ? [/SIZE]

Old 03-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]LOL Shawley..

We're going to have to get a little book for you to write down the things you need to remember.

My surgeon offered to fuse my SI joint. My PT almost passed out. She said that's the only thing that you have that still moves....surgeons, love to cut![/COLOR]

Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
(male)

crookedback HB User

Here's what I've learned...

The spinal cord from L1 thru S1 is actually like a horses tail (ie - called the caudia equina) and is a series of nerves which run between the lumber vertebra.

At L4-5 the nerves run down the outside top of your thigh & calf & over the top of your foot to your big toe & allows you to lift your foot.

At L5-S1 the nerve runs down the buttocks & back of thigh & calf & along the outside of the foot and allow you to stand on your toes.

The nerves are like a coaxial cable with the sensory/feeling section on the outside and the motor/control function on the inside.

As the nerves are compressed you initially feel numbness & tingley and sometimes a feeling of pressure (my current status).

As the nerve gets more compressed, you begin to lose motor function (ie - weakness, stumbling, drop foot, falling etc) and it's time for surgery.

Unfortunately, nerves heal exceptionally slow (1-2 yrs) and they don't always heal fully.

I would suggest talking to your doctor & find out when he plans to get you going on PT.

Hang in there & be patient... you will see slow improvement over time!

I'm lookin at a fusion & disectomy myself within the next 6 months so I'll be interested in watchin your progress.

Take care... Dave!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Funny for the last year everyone has told me my pain should be in the left leg. My pain was always in the right. Now after the surgery my left leg is alot weaker than my right.

The PT said I was dragging my left leg. I am working on using it more like starting off on the left when walking.

I had a fusion L4-s1

Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #12
(female)

cythren HB User

My left leg is my bad one too...it's weak, and the muscles have atrophied. Can't push off with my left foot toes when I walk, hence I walk with a limp. Can I join the club?

Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Roy47 HB User

Thnx,

A lot od different ways of saying the same thing. As far as PT he said walk, walk. walk. walk. It does not give out or anything like that; I feel that I am so fortunate in that regards. It also sounds like this is a common thing as well. I will ask him and see what he has to say about this.

It is the only thing that I have found as a suprise all other things are going great. The stickes in the back are seem to be healing fine. It is still a little on the sore side in the front and it sounds like this is common among men from all the other posts that I have read.

We just got 8 inches of snow today and high winds, so it will mean more inside exercise. I would love to walk outside but it is going to be at least a week or longer the way the drifts look.

Thanks for all who have posted.
Roy 47

Old 03-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Speaking of left leg's...I got up in the middle of the night asleep looking for chocolate...(I always do that dang it, those calories shouldn't count) anyway left leg gave out fell flat on my face, that woke me up!!!

I guess atleast after surgery I won't be wandering in my sleep

Last edited by yvette777; 03-03-2007 at 06:35 AM. Reason: oopps

Old 03-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Wandering in your sleep. Wow that could be painful after surgery. I have to wake to reposition myself. I am looking forward to getting a full night sleep.

Roy when did you have your surgery?

Closed Thread