It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User
Radiofrequency

Although I am dealing with my painful fusion area T7-T8, I also am trying to deal with my other multiple hernaitions at T9-L1 (smaller in size, but each level affected). I had Facet Joint Injections done 2 weeks ago...did not work, so my Pain Management MD it going to do Radiofrequency to ablate the nerve tissues.

Just wondering if anybody had the procedure, or just has a general thought about this procedure????

I'd appreciate the input. It's scheduled for March 13th.

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Last edited by babs17; 02-28-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User
Re: Radiofrequency

I would ask how many the doctor has done. I have seen this done years ago in the head for headaches. Then it was only done with a neuro surgeon in radiology. The patient was put lightly under, the area was numbed, the needle was inserted, then films were taken to check needle placement. Now this is probably all done using fluoroscopy. An electric current was sent through the needle, the patient allowed to wake up and the doctor checked to see if the nerve was no longer causing a problem.
My last experience with this was in 1988 so much has change since then. Good luck to you.
Newfie11

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

Hi, Babs17. I don't know if you'll trust my opinion on this one either but... I had it RFA done in December prior to deciding to do my surgery in Feb. The procedure itself was fine - far less painful than steroid injections. Just a little sore the day or two after. After my steriod injections, I was in bed and feeling like a train wreck for a few days. I'd go for the sedation if they're willing to give it to you. I did. The procedure didn't hurt, but your muscles jump with the stimulation and I'm kind of a nervous nelly and it creeped me out. I had my finace draw on my back exactly where it hurt near my spine and the dr. doing the procedure seemed happy to have the help. Because you'll be laying down on your stomach for the procedure, I'm assuming, do the drawings (he did dots and oval with a sharpie) laying down, too. That way the skin is in the place where it hurts. Does that make sense?

I had absolutely no success with it. But! you might! I'd say it's worth a try as it really didn't hurt much afterwards.

Good luck and I REALLY hope it helps you. You need a break! - Margaret

Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Dear Babs, Hi! I have had the radiofrequency done twice in my lumbar facet joints (L3, L4 and L5). It has really helped my pain levels. The pain is not gone, but the level has been brought down. I have arthritis in my facet joints, and the facet injections helped, but never lasted long enough. Are you going to have the lidocaine test first, before they radiofrequence? This is where they numb the pain nerves to see if the RFA will work. It wears off quickly, but gives the doctor good info. Good luck! The procedure itself (RFA) is not bad with light sedation. I felt relief in a few days. Take care, Kera4

Closed Thread