It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
(female)

SweetThing789 HB User
weather and back pain ?

Hi all, All my life I have heard lots of folk say when there is a weather change, they can feel it in their bones. Does anyone believe that? If so, will you explain how it feels. I am 10 months post op fusion and our weather here is changing form bad to good. I have not been having a lot of pain, but last couple of days, I am really achy in back, hips and arm areas. Could it be the weather? Everything else in my life is basically the same. It always scares me when I hurt now, because I tend to worry about the disk above and below fusion site. I don't want to be negative, but it scares me. Have a blessed day all of you!
SweetThing

Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: weather and back pain ?

[COLOR="Navy"]Sweet thing,

Yep, I could be the local weather body. I have two 15" titanium rods and 20 screws. When the weather fronts start to come through I seize up and ache so bad that I could writhe on the floor and moan. Cold doesn't help much either. I asked my dr. about this and he said that yes, it was because of the hardware. Great, just what I wanted to hear.

Now when I hear that there is front coming through I make sure that I have meds in my body to help stave off the pain that I know is going to happen.

For me, the best thing is to sit in the hot tub. The warm water seems to help pull the pain out from the deep inside areas... I also wear many layers at work. They kinda of chuckle, but understand. A couple of the guys said that they gauge the weather by how many layers I have on!

So I wouldn't stress too much about it. It seems to be one of the universal by products of the surgery.....

Jill[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

My back tells me the weather all the time. I'm a regular barometric pressure guage.

(I think thats what its called) LOL

The warmer weather is a God's perscription for our pain.

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

My pain doctor even admitted there is a conection between weather and pain. Mine flares up when there is a change in the weather. It doesn't matter if it's from bad to good or good to bad, it hurts.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

[I]I'm a regular barometric pressure gauge. [/I]

I had a discussion about this with my flight surgeon whilst still in the Army... here's what he said happens.

In bones, there are all of these little pockets of air (sort of like a sponge). In people with (especially) arthritis and other orthopedic complaints (like post-surgical patients and those with hardware) these "spaces" may be larger and the patient is more sensitive to barometric pressure changes in those spaces. So when there is a drop in barometric pressure (such as when there is a storm coming) it hurts. Make sense? (I guess that's why he gets the big bucks )

Old 03-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
(female)

SweetThing789 HB User

Thank you ALL so much!! You have made me feel so.....much better. It is reassuring to know I am not alone in this and that it is somewhat "normal" for "us folks" especially with hardware and arthritis, of which I have both. Thanks again, I won't worry about it to much now.
Have a blessed day, all. SweetThing

Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
(female)

SweetThing789 HB User

Oh wow, a coworker just came in and informed us that there is a tornado watch in our area. Is that a coincidence or what? Maybe I will go into weather forcasting.
SweetThing

Old 03-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]If there is a tornado warning I'm outta here! Someone take care of the work! LOL [/COLOR]

Closed Thread