It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

cody48 HB User
Would appreciate any response........

I recently posted about a problem that I have but wondered if you can have back/hip problems and have it affect or cause soreness in the back rib area. I keep thinking that some of my soreness is a result of my back.

Just wondering.......

Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: Would appreciate any response........

I'm not sure, my back problem is in lumbar and it causes pain in butt, legs and feet. Have you been to the doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Sorry Cody, but we need more information than that to give you better feedback to your question. Where exactly does your back hurt and can you describe the pain? Do you have any butt/leg/foot pain?

Your ribs hurt?? one side, both?

Did you injure yourself in anyway that you know of that began this pain?

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
(female)

cody48 HB User

I had a previous post describing some of the problems but basically I've always had SOME back problems, nothing really bad just aggravating. I'm 58 and for the last several years have had problems mainly that I would feel when I would get out of a chair. The pain is located to the right of my lower spine about 4-5 inches below my waist and is about halfway between my spine and hip. When I say back pain, I'm not sure that it's back or hip due to the location.

A week ago while working in my yard I stood up and felt like I had a "catch" in my back lower rib area. It was really sore that night but was better the next day. Problem is, it hasn't completely gone away. The soreness is in the same general area as the back/hip pain just about 10 inches higher. Doesn't feel like a muscle problem.

This is difficult to describe so I know asking advice is difficult. I haven't been back to the doctor. Went several times years ago and wasn't told much other than to rest for a few days. I thought that some of this was just an arthiritic situation. Just don't know. My insurance is bad and I have to be careful of costs so I have just been HOPING that it would improve. I believe the back/hip situation is something that I'll just have to live with. I've just been wondering about the rib situation.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

I have DDD and my completely collapsed disk is in the lower lumbar, however, it not only affects my hips and legs, it also causes my back in the thoraic between my ribs to hurt very much. I think this is b/c my lower spine is so unstable it causes my upper back to go into overdrive. I hope you feel better and can get a good diagnosis.

Harmony

Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Ok.. that helps. Sorry we didnt give you much of a response the first time.

Bad insurance or not Cody, the scenario of "just live with it" may come back to haunt you later.

I would seriously consider getting yourself checked out. You have been trying to rest already and it's not going away.

The hip pain you refer to, sounds like Sciatica and that area you refer to is lower lumbar region. You may have a bulging disc in the lower spine that could be causing that pain you are experiencing and even one in the lower spine can also radiate pain to the upper levels as well (stress from the ones above working OT and also referred pains). OR you may have another level there that is also starting to degenerate and thus causing you pain.

But if you dont get yourself checked.. you really will not know. And the longer you wait.. If you let the wrong things go unchecked and treated, you leave yourself much more vulnerable to serious back trauma. It's not worth it.

Please let us know how you are doing. All the best to you. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
(female)

cody48 HB User

Thanks Tammy and others who responded. This website never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes just voicing your problems and having someone else say "Yes" I have or have heard of someone with similiar problems makes you feel that you don't have anything RARE or strange. One thing I've discovered by reading this board is that there are many people out there MUCH worse off than me but as you say if I don't have this checked out then it could become much worse.

Will follow your advice and start looking for a good doctor. That's a fear......not finding someone good. If there is anyone out there in the North Atlanta area with a good Doc, please let me know.

Thanks to all.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Cody,

My husband developed pain in his low back...and it radiated around into his abdomen...his back would also "catch"...took his breath away...it was sore also.. He had stepped off of a curb wrong several months ago...and this developed as time went on... After all of the usual stuff, the Dr. did x-rays, then MRI.. They discovered a herniation at L4-5....but the symptoms were on the opposite side. They also said he had facet joint arthritis. He finally had bilateral facet injections - 3 on each side (2 office visits) and low and behold he is sooooo much better. He had the injections in Dec. and he recently said that at times the pain is creeping back. His PM Dr. had said if the facet joint injections worked, he could do a nerve ablation.(Sp. wrong)..and that would take care of the pain for a much longer period of time.
My husband said that if these injections hadn't worked, he would have had to retire...there was no way he could have worked. Well he has been working..12 hrs a day...so he is doing really well.
Hope you feel better soon.

Sage

Old 03-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Sometimes these back problems make us think we are going crazy cause the pain isn't just in the back. What do they call it referred pain, I don't remember. It does help to know we aren't crazy.

Closed Thread