It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
1st PM Dr. visit today, happy, scared, confused, etc.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hi Everyone,
Well I had my Pain management appt. today, it went well, I think. My meds are changing to better ones (if they work). I will be getting facet injections at 4 levels in mid April. I have the two levels above my fusion levels that are deteriorating, I will be starting aquatic jogging therapy and nautilus exercise therapy. I have to loose 50 lbs.(I needed that for yrs now). The plan is to get me stronger and more able to handle when the DDD gets worse. He did confirm the failed back syndrome and the permanent nerve root damage at L4 & 5, I have no reflex response in my left foot as well and that will not improve. His goal is to reduce the new pain in my back and right foot and try to get better pain control in the nerve damage side too.

It was sure nice to hear that the L5 level seems to be fused, he manipulated each vertibra in my entire spine to see where there was movement that there shouldn't have been. The two new disc problems were the worst pain wise, but the L5 didn't move at all. Then he looked at my films and he pointed out where it did look fused, that was music to my ears that all of my surgeries were not in vain, I got at least one level fused!!!!

It was alot to swallow at one time, but as the day went on today it sunk in that he has hope for me improving my life, I won't be like going to work full time ever, but I will hopefully be able to resume normal household things again. Worst case is that I will have my girlish figure back again, hehe, won't hubby like that.

He started the first physical therapy school in the country many yrs ago, and has done thousands of spine surgeries. He does all the injections himself and has helped many that have been given up on by everyone else. He also had been in an accident and was told he would never walk, well he now uses what he did to walk as the therapy for his patients and has trained every PT person at the center hei s sending me to. So I feel pretty good about that, he has been practicing medicine for as long as I have been alive(45 yrs).

I would like to thank everyone for thier support, I was sooooo nervous that this wasn't going to be good, I almost walked out waiting for him to come into the exam room, in gown & all. I have NEVER been so nervous in my life. All the PM horror stories were just rolling around in my head all morning. So I'm glad it's over now and I'm looking at a somewhat bright future I guess, at least a better one that what I have already lived thru this past 3 1/2 yrs.

Oh, Shawley, no SCS at this point, he said he uses that as a very last resort and he doesn't think I'm near that point yet. Sorry, no comparing notes. But I did see the unit, it's way different than I thought it would be, very small, and not that scary looking at all.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 04:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: 1st PM Dr. visit today, happy, scared, confused, etc.

Carol - I am so pleased that you are finally going to have some relief. You so deserve it. Your pm doctor sounds like he knows what he is doing, plans to provide some much needed relief for you, and hey 50 lbs. Wow! You are going to have to share those secrets with the rest of us.

Carol, I pray that this pm doctor is the answers to your prayers and that things continue to get better each day. God Bless!!

Old 03-02-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

It is such an awesome feeling when we find a docotor who gives us hope and act like they care!!! Good to hear it!!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Well, congratulations, Carol, on finding such a wonderful doctor! And yea that you DO have one level that's fused! What great news!

I'm sure you're still working through all this, and you've certainly got a lot of work ahead of you, but overall you must be thrilled! There's much hope!

I hope the new meds will get your pain under control quickly. When do you start the two therapies? That will certainly help you with losing weight. Did he have any particular recommendations for losing weight? I guess a big part of that is motivation, which you probably have in large quantities right now. Every time you're ready to eat anything, meal or snack, keep that girlish figure in mind and, more importantly, LESS PAIN as you get it under control. 50 pounds sounds like a lot, but it's not, really. People have lost a lot more than that. Just keep it steady. You're not going to lose it all at once. A little at a time. The best way to lose it and keep it off is to not "diet" but rather to change your whole outlook on how and what to eat. A lifetime change, not a temporary change. And if you have a time when you lose it and eat things you regret, chastise yourself, forgive yourself, then forget it and start fresh. You can do this, girl! And you're going to feel so much better!

Just think, three months from now you'll be in a whole different place, then six months you'll be even further on, and a year from now you'll have a new story to tell on here. I understand you'll never be 100%, but you're going to be BETTER, and just the fact that he didn't think you were anywhere near the SPS is very encouraging!

I'm really happy for you, Carol! That light at the end of the tunnel just got brighter!

Have a great day!
Emily

Old 03-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Carol,

I am so happy for you!! Your new dr. seems great, and certainly like he knows what he's talking about. How wonderful to get ahold of a dr. that is hands on and don't give up on the given up.

Just to be able to work towards painless days is a blessing huh. Living with daily pain is so draining mentally, emotionally and physically and if your able to get someone who "cares" about really helping, it sure puts the light back on with the encouragement.

I wish you good luck to painless days. Take care and I'll say a special prayer for you that everyday gets better.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Dear Carol, I'm so glad you found a great Pain Management doctor! I have always read your posts, and found encouragement from you. It is good you have that one level fused, and it sounds like a good plan ahead. I know what a difference a doctor who cares is. I have a Physiatrist who I have been with for 3 years, and he has done all my injections/nerve burning/pain meds. He has always been positive and encouraging, and most importantly never given up on me. I have a form of arthritis called "spondylitis" which really has no cure. I am on medicines for it, buy they do not always work the best. My Physiatrist has communicated with my rheumatologist, and I feel I have a pain management plan that is working. Good luck with everything! I do aquatic exercises like walking in the water, leg lifts, toe raises, squats. It helps me so much, because I cannot do all this on dry land. Take care, Kera4

Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the encouragement, it's gonna be a long hard road. It helps to know this PM knows first hand what it like since he has been thru both the medical recovery and the weight loss. I really think the weight loss will be a lil easier since I know the less weight the less pain. My meds are a lil confusing right now since I'm weaning off and starting the new at the same time. But it will work itself out within the nest week or so. I can hardly wait to get my memory back!!! I have to write EVERYTHING down now, I never did that before. He did change my antidepressant too, I'm hoping that will help my sleep and moods too.

Well again THANKS again, I'll keep you all updated.

God Bless

Carol[/COLOR]

Old 03-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
(male)

Porter107 HB User

Carol, That is simply wonderful news. It does sound like you have found an actual caring doctor, which are in high demand right now. It also sounds like he has a plan that will indeed help you into feeling better. I am sure that you are on the right course in getting a better less painful life. Its nice to know that there are caring doctors out there that want us to feel better.

Porter

Closed Thread