It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Michael8466 HB User
Change of Medication for back pain

I had a laminectomy a couple of months back. The surgeon had me on vicodin, motrin, and flexiril. I had no improvement so my regular doctor sent me to a Pain Management doctor. He put on morphine and Gabapentine right away and also wants to give me shots in my facet joints. Has anyone been through something like this before? I thought it was a big change made so quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Re: Change of Medication for back pain

Hi Michael

I have been on Gabapentin for the last 2 weeks an WOW! did i have 3 days of being in loopy land!!
At least i was so out of my head my back didnt hurt for those 3 days!!

I had to take alow dose an gradually work up.
I have also had my Facet joints injectied in 5 places which has given me more flexibility in my back but has done nothing for the chronic pain.

Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Michael - Have they done another MRI/CT scan since your laminectomy? In my particular case, after I had the laminectomy my spine became unstable. The vertebrae began rocking on the sciatia nerve causing increased pain. When they did the MRI, my disc had slipped forward. I am 4 weeks out from a fusion and the sciatia is almost gone. I pray that this is not your case but wanted to at least inform you about it. Good luck and I pray that this is not your case.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Michael8466 HB User

The dosage the doctor wants me to follow is 1 for a week then 2 another week, ending with 3 the next week. I'll let you know how goofy I get. Thanks

Old 03-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Michael8466 HB User

I had another MRI done and I'm seeing my neuro this week. I also had x-rays done. I'll post the results. Thanks

Old 03-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
(male)

picnica HB User

It seem like you have a doctor that takes your pain seriously. I wish I had found a doctor like that right away. Good luck

Old 03-04-2007, 05:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Michael Good luck at your appt and I will be pulling for you.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Michael8466 HB User

Hello all, the surgeon said the MRI didn't show anything new. He said I needed more time to heal. As for the EMG, the idiots didn't send the report in time for us to see. I called to make another appointment and the secretary told me there was some nerve damage. My pain management doctor wants to give facet joint injections now since the meds are not working. The surgeon said go ahead and try them if I wanted to. I got feeling from him he doesn't think they'll work. I'll keep you posted, Thanks

Old 03-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Michael -- don't give up hope ---sometimes things do not show up on the MRI. Someone on the board had several broken vertebrae and it did not show up on the MRI. They found it when they went in to do other work.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I don't trust MRI. It didn't show my herniation or bone spurs. Facet joint injections have worked one time for me. The next 2 or 3 didn't do a thing. My PM doc is "frustrated".

Closed Thread