It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
(male)

whackybacky HB User
New guy here, respect your elders

Greetings, all you fellow back sufferers. I'm new to posting but have been reading for a few weeks. I thought I would introduce myself. I believe I'm the oldest one here. I'm 79, but I'm very young at heart. Unfortunately, my back, as well as the rest of this aging body, is giving out. I've had back problems for years, mostly undiagnosed, as the technology just wasn't there when I was younger. I had an MRI finally and have been told I have degenerative disk disease, but there's not much treatment available to me. I'm older than they like for surgery. I use a walker, but I suppose at age 79 that's not too bad. I'm thankful for my daughter and son-in-law and my grandchildren who come and visit me at least once a week. They're what I live for. But they don't really understand the pain I have. They chalk it up to old age. I have many friends with old age pain. This is different. Fortunately, I have a good doctor who provides me with pain killers. He's a real young guy, but very patient and knowledgable.

It's a pleasure to meet you all in cyberspace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User
Re: New guy here, respect your elders

It's fantastic that you found this Forum.

Welcome My Young at Heart Friend!

I am 32, and have an advanced case of DDD. I will be looking forward to your posts when I am feeling down and out. I have a feeling that you will have some REAL PEARLS of WISDOM.

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Welcome, I think its awesome at 79 your surfing the web. You must be the hippest grandpa around, how old are the grandkids?

Isn't it funny about the deg disc disease although mine is at advanced stages they told me I was to young for surgery for years...then on the other side they say your to old....what's that all about

Although I understand about the back pain and if someone hasn't suffered through it they don't understand regaurdless of what age we are. The people here have been told all kinds of tricks to fix there back that will just send you laughing because they are just so ridiculous and show how much people just don't get it.

I was thinking if your grandkids were old enough you could really get them going and make a *******.

Coming here is a tremendous source of relief from the pains in my life. People understand here. I am 37 and say my spine feels 100. I always tell the surgeons' I need a spine transplant, they look at my MRI and say yep you do.

Welcome!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
(female)

Esoph HB User

[QUOTE=whackybacky;2832944]Greetings, all you fellow back sufferers. I'm new to posting but have been reading for a few weeks. I thought I would introduce myself. I believe I'm the oldest one here. I'm 79, but I'm very young at heart. Unfortunately, my back, as well as the rest of this aging body, is giving out. I've had back problems for years, mostly undiagnosed, as the technology just wasn't there when I was younger. I had an MRI finally and have been told I have degenerative disk disease, but there's not much treatment available to me. I'm older than they like for surgery. I use a walker, but I suppose at age 79 that's not too bad. I'm thankful for my daughter and son-in-law and my grandchildren who come and visit me at least once a week. They're what I live for. But they don't really understand the pain I have. They chalk it up to old age. I have many friends with old age pain. This is different. Fortunately, I have a good doctor who provides me with pain killers. He's a real young guy, but very patient and knowledgable.

It's a pleasure to meet you all in cyberspace.[/QUOTE]
Hi Whacky Backy, it's good to know that you still have a sense of humour while suffering from all that pain. I don't have back pain (yet) but I have other pains - one is named Natasha and one is named ...- just kidding - I do have pain every day now for 4 years from my gallbladder operation - I can certainly comiserate with those in PAIN.
You would think with all the new technologoy, they could make replacement discs, replacement gallbladders (YEAH, that would be nice). Have you asked other doctors if there are any options besides pain killers? It just seems awful to have to accept that there is nothing they can do for you.
My docs have told me to stop looking for answers to my "ailments" - but I refuse - as long as I live - I will search the ends of the earth until someone out there helps me.
I wish the best for you and stay YOUNG - don't let pain defeat you!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
(female)

sara313 HB User

Welcome! That's wonderful that you have such a warm and loving family. But as you said, they just don't understand the pain. Most of us can probably say the same thing about our loved ones.

I hope you can find some solace and comfort from the rest of us.
((((((((hugs))))))))))

Old 03-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User

I just wanted to say welcome to the boards!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi Whacky,

It's great to meet you as well! Welcome to the boards! Ya know it's funny in a way when you say your family doesnt' understand your pain & think it's just old age and not doing much, etc....I could kick myself now because I honestly used to think that when I was a teenager. Then once I turned 20 and started getting all sorts of weird symptoms & joint pains, etc...I guess I did get a kick back in the pants with that. And at 38 I have lupus arthritis & OA in many joints, DDD, spinal arthritis, and just had surgery in Sept for severe lumbar spinal stenosis. I literally felt about 100 yrs old and was housebound. So now I certainly understand what anyone with most arthritis goes through and I'm sorry my thinking was so dumb when I young. I feel I got paybacks now for thinking that way <LOL> . I guess alot of diseases and even other issues are the same way....one never can understand exactly how someone is feeling unless they walk in their shoes.

You certainly seem to have a great attitude so I say keep on doing what you're doing..and you know your own limits.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I never got to have a grandpa!!! hint hint

Old 03-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Hi Welcome
I am very glad you posted. I would like to encourge you to seek another opinion regarding your back. If you are healthy and mobile and your back is preventing you from doing normal daily activities maybe another Dr would be able to help you. I know that my Dr. just operated on a lady in her 80's of course I don't know what was wrong with her. Maybe another Dr. could help you. I am glad that they gave you pain killers as back pain is horrible.

Welcome I am sure we can gain from each others experiences.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

I have a friend your age who takes Oxycontin twice a day and does quite well. Maybe that is what your doctor is telling you. People can live a long time on monitored narcotics, upwards of 20 years. Lets, see you would be around a hundred.

Surgery is just not the magic bullet for everyone.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi Whackybacky! Welcome! It's nice to meet you and will look forward to hearing more from you. I'm glad you have family that comes to visit you - that's great! :-) Take care and I hope you can find relief for your back pain - we understand.

Harmony

Old 03-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Hi...I was just checking to see if you've been back. Hope you are feeling better!!! vette

Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
(female)

judyswrite HB User

Hi Wackybacky,
Nice to meet you. I'm also senior to most of the people 'whom I've read' on this board. I'll be 64 in April.

I've always been very athletically active, very healthy, with no 'aging pains.' I'm a golfer (or I was a golfer). I have been dealing with sciatic pain for about 8 months. I've been just diagnosed with sponylolisthesis after a long range of treatment for a different, faulty diagnosis.

Anyway, I've found the expressions of the experiences of the 'young people' on this board to be inspirational and helpful. I'm certain you will too.

We may be older, but experience is the best teacher.

Judy

Last edited by judyswrite; 03-04-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Navy"][B]
Sir wacky,
I love your screen name..I respect my elder's very much so if there's anything I can do for ya just give me a hollar and I'll be here . Sorry about your back problems , maybe you'd like to ask your doc about the spinalcord stim also ? Alot of people here are trying it ,and I don't think it's a major surgery either.

GOD BLESS [/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
(male)

whackybacky HB User

What a nice surprise it was to come to the healthboard today and see all the pleasant welcomes from so many people. Thank you. Yvette, I have four grandchildren, ages 15, 17, 19, and 21. They're all odd. Next year they'll all be even. I would never mind having a few more grandchildren, as they are the blessing of my life. You are welcome to call me Grandpa Lou.

I appreciate the suggestions to get some more opinions and the spinal cord stimulator. I have actually seen quite a few doctors about all this, and they agree that since I already need a walker much of the time, recovery from a back operation would be very difficult for me. I do agree with that assessment. The pain pills will suit me to keep it under control. I have much to be thankful for and I certainly won't let my aches and pains get me down. We deal with the problems the good Lord sees fit to give us. Perhaps my pain will enable me to help someone else with their pain.

As far as my family not understanding my pain, I don't hold that against them. I have sensed some anger on some messages outside of this strand against people who don't understand the pain we chronic sufferers endure. Dear people, life is too short for that. They don't mean to upset you or be insensitive. They can't understand because they've not experienced anything like this. I'm sure there have been many things I've been insensitive to in my friends' lives over the years and never knew it. I won't love them any less for not understanding my pains.

It is a lovely thing to be able to write our problems here and find people who do understand. I shall continue to check in as I'm able and will be pleased to keep up with some of you.

Sincerely,
Louis

Closed Thread