It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
(male)

Porter107 HB User
Seen my Surgeon yesterday, what a wasted drive!

Hello everyone, I seen my surgeon yesterday for my scheduled appointment. I was really hopeing to get some insight into why I am having so many problems with my left leg anf foot, but instead I was hurried through my appointment and was interupted every time I tried to explain to my surgeon what was going on. He seemed to want to brag on himself on what a "Work of art" my surgery was (his words, not mine). He showed me my x-ray and just kept telling me how well he did. I really wanted to know why my foot keeps swelling and changing colors, and he seemed to think that it had nothing to do with my surgery. I brought my camera with me with the pics of my swollen foot (I did not get them printed out) as I was putting them on the view screen to show him what I was talking about, he stopped me and said "Let me ask you, is your face in the picture?" I said no, I took the pictures, he said "Well then its just a picture of a swollen foot then, isnt it?" I said Yeah, but its my foot!. He said "I am sure it is, but I really could not tell you anything by looking at a picture, so I really do not need to see them, no offense". I couldnt believe it. He then told me that if I were having swelling and pain, then I needed to get a doppler to check for a blood clot. I told him that I was never offered one when I went I seen my GP a couple of weeks ago when he actually witnessed the swelling that I have had off and on since surgery. Then he said something that made no sense what so ever " Well I will bet the farm that its not a blood clot, but I am going to send you to have one anyway" I said forget it, I am not paying for a test that is going to be negative anyway, that would be stupid. He said "Oh no, you have the signs of a blood clot, and we need to rule that out but you dont have a clot, I can assure you". I really am ...upset now. I said I drove 5 hours to find out why I am having this pain and swelling, and you want to send me to get a test that you already know is going to be negative, you have not explained to me why I am having all this pain and swelling and you wont even look at my pictures, why am I here?. He then got very caring (acting) and said "OK, you are 7 weeks post op, you are going to experiance pain, but you should not have the leg pain and foot swelling you are discribing (by the way these were the same symptoms I had right after surgery, that he seemed to not really worry about) if you are having swelling and pain, it could be a blood clot which is serious, you need a doppler scan to rule that out, but I have never seen any of my patients with a blood clot after my surgery". It was then apparent to me that this guy is a bit high on himself and cant bare to think that maybe he did not have a successful surgery. He then said he was very busy and had other patients to tend to. He told me to have the doppler and come back in 6 weeks, then he left. What a wasted trip! Not only that, my doppler isnt scheduled until monday HA! Serious huh? I am so disapointed with this appointment, I was really hoping for some sort of explaination of what was going on, but instead I was reminded how wonderful he is and that I may have a serious problem that he is sure doesnt exsist, and now have to have a test that more then likely is a waste of time and money. My thoughts... I have nerve damage and he doesnt want to believe that he may have done something wrong during surgery. As I have told him from the begining, this pain is totally different from that pain I felt before surgery, it has to be a different nerve, wouldnt it? Anyway, I will have the test and if it does not show a clot (which I am sure it wont) I will wait and muddle through the pain for another 6 weeks, unless it gets better, until I see him again and if he gives me the runaround then, I will fire him and find someone else. He really is quite egotistical. By the way, while I am typing this, my foot is swollen, go figure! Talk to you all soon.

Porter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Seen my Surgeon yesterday, what a wasted drive!

sorry to hear about your sugeon and how wonderful he thinks he is,very typical of some surgeons unfortunetly.getting any surgeon to admit any wrong doing probably is not going to happen either.its that incredible ego they appear to have.by him not even looking at the pics you wanted to show him,he has already basically blown you off.thats pretty crappy.he just cannot face any possibility he did wrong here,thats pretty apparent.try seeing a good physiatrist for the best evaluation of what is going on with your foot porter.you need an 'unbiased" opinion,and you will never get that from your surgeon.obtaining that US is a good idea,just to rule out the possibility of a blood clot,tho it doesn't appear this would actually be the problem,to me anyways since this has been ongoing and you would have been having much more profound problems by now if this was indeed a clot.

Porter,i know you do not want this to turn out to be possible RSD,but honey,i really do think just from what you have explained in other posts that this may be what you are dealing with here,really.getting to that physiatrist,well he can evaluate your PICTURES and your leg and help alot to set up the right therepys and treatments.the earlier treatment starts with RSD the better chance of getting into some level of remission.there are sympathetic blocks they can doas a diagnostic tool to see whther this pain and other symptoms are actually being sympathecically generated or not,you just really need to start moving on this,and i really do think making an appt with someone who is not related to this idiot surgeon with no actual involvement in this in any way will give you the best possible opinion on whats really going on with that leg.

a good physiatrist will be able to give you the best evaluation of your situation.he has nothing to gain or lose by his evaluation,you will never get that from the surgeon who did this,never.hes a bit too in love with himself and any actual failure on his end will never be admitted by him.for this guy to not even take a good look at the pics you had really tells it all.what an ***.

but the key here is early dx and aggressive treatment for the best possible chances of successful treatment and lessoning the pain.i wish you all the luck inthe world porter,and believe me, i DO feel for what you are dealing with and having to go thru.but getting this evaluation really IS very important for you and for the best possible outcome for you.Please keep me posted,K?marcia

Old 03-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

Porter
I am so sorry you are still having problems with that leg. You have sure been thru enough. I appaulde you for being frank with your surgeon even if it did not do much good. I think after the doppler test I would call him and tell him ok you ruled that out now what else could this be. I would suggest finding another Dr but I know how hard that can be after having one surgeon operate.

Stay strong and keep at them. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandy

Old 03-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi Porter

I just read through your post an i couldnt help but reply!!

I havent had surgery myself(yet!) but i felt so frustrated for you.
I carnt believe your surgeon didnt listen to your symptons!

Surely its clear to see if you were not suffering from the swoolen foot an leg problems before surgery it makes sense that there is a problem.
The only time my foot turned blue an swelled up and i had pain in my leg was when my physio did accupunture on me an placed a needle in the wrong place.
Maybe a nerve or something has been trapped during surgery.

I really hope you get it sorted soon.

Best wishes

Old 03-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
(male)

Porter107 HB User

Thanks everyone for your response. Marcia, I have done a lot of reading on RSD, and now believe that the sypmtoms I am having fit the symptoms of RSD pretty well. I was trying to remain skepticle about the chance that I may have it, but the more this goes on, I become more and more concerned. After I have my test done on moday, I plan on talking to my GP to get a referral to see someone who might be able to shed some light on my problems. The only thing my Surgeon said that may have some substance is that the pain and swelling that I am having now is not related to the healing pain from fusion surgery. This is different and I have stated this to him from the beginning, I just dont think he was listening. I dont know what he is thinking now, only that his surgery on my back was simply a "masterpiece". He cured my initial pain, but now I am stuck with something all together different and I want to know what it is. I cant believe I drove that far..ust to have a couple of x-rays done, I could of have then done here and sent to him, that way I wouldnt have to listen to him brag about himself Well anyway, thats enough griping for now, until later...

Porter

Old 03-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
(female)

sheri42 HB User

Hello,
I think he is a real piece of work. Any good surgeon, especially a spine surgeon should be able to identifye RSD. I was 100% convinced I had it, My surgeon kept saying NO NO NO. At least he would entertain my ideas though. I dont have RSD but have damage to my sympethetic nerve and therefore, have other problems, especially with temperature controll in my left leg and foot.

I did have severe sensitivity in my feet and color changes, not to the extreme that you have though. My sympethtic nerve was stretched when he realigned my vertebreas. You need to see a pain management doc, they are the ones that diagnose and treat it. It is obviouse, your surgeon is not going to help you because if he did, it may just knock him off his pedestal, and thats not going to happen.
Take Care and keep looking for answers.
Sheri

Old 03-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Porter, I feel like driving over there myself and kicking his butt, what a jerk. Ya know, It just doesn't make sense to me why people become doctors and then forget about the people they are treating. Don't they become doctors to help people? Or is it all about the money......

I have a friend who is an RN and works in ER and she says that all the neuro's think they are the gods of the surgeons.

I am so sorry your having to go through this. It makes me so mad how he treated you...and then the picture thing ewww!!! Got my blood boiling.

Are you trying to find another doctor buddy? I'm praying that you find help and relief. Sorry your going through this crap. vette

Old 03-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Sienna"][B]
Porter ,
Sorry for your pain and swelling and the goofy doctor's we some times end up with. Ya know it's only been 7 week's since your surgery and I understand the pain you can have with it , after 3 surgeries of my own I can relate , but that swelling thing has me puzzled . You shouldn't have swelling like that.. Maybe it's a blood clot ? That would scare me to death. My neurosurgeon sounded just like your surgeon , all he wanted to here is how good of a job he did on me .

Good luck Monday , hope they find out whats doing that.[/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
(female)

judyswrite HB User

Hi Porter,
I must say I agree with Shawley. Your symptoms may indicate a blood clot.

A clot can travel to the lungs or the heart and from my understanding, that could be fatal. Better safe than sorry!

Judy

Old 03-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
(male)

Porter107 HB User

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies-
I know some Doctors, especially Surgeons, have a [I]"God complex"[/I] and have a real hard time admitting that they have been unsuccessful in thier "Art". I am not saying that the guy isn't good at what he does, after all he did relieve my pre op pain. the problem now is that I have a different pain that he does not want to address. Its like he is afraid that he may have made a "boo boo" and does not want that on his record. I already know that he cut 2 arteries during surgery because he told my wife while I was in the recovery room, so he is capable of making mistakes. All I want to know is what it is and what to do about it. I am tired of taking pain meds just to able to deal with daily life. I just want to recover fully so I can get back to a half way normal life and I know I still have some recovery time left, but this leg thing scares the heck out of me because its not normal recovery pain. From all I have read about blood clots, it is highly unlikely that is the problem. My opinion is that its a nerve that has been damaged and it is not the same nerve that was causing me pain before surgery. Oh well time will tell, who knows the pain just might go away on its own, but I fear that is unlikely as there are other symptoms that are arising such as a constant dull ache and sharp shooting pains that go down the leg. My muscles feel week in my leg, although I am walking as much as the pain will let me. I have decided to go one step further and not use my cane unless its absolutely necessary, this may strengthen my leg muscles abit. My Dr. will not let do any physical therapy for at least another 8 weeks, so I will do a little exercising on my own, nothing to tough, just something to strengthen the muscles a little. Now that the weather is changing I will be able to get outside more without fear of slipping on the ice and there is a park right down the street that I can walk. Of course this all depends on my leg pain. Anyway will see what happens at my appointment tomorrow and go from there. Take care everyone.

Porter

Old 03-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Porter - I will be lifting you up in prayer. I don't like the sound of this.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Blue"][B]
Porter,
Hey bud , All the pain your describing is the same thing I'm going through..No I don't have the swelling..That would scare the heck out of me..You sure that's not a clot ? I can't believe they wait so long for that test, jeez...

I'm serious my first surgery I had no leg pain or feet pain , my second surgery I woke up in hell , the pain was so bad in my feet...My wife grabbed them to rub them and I screamed , my doctor told me that it will go away it's from bumping them and stuff ,well it never went away.Now I'm dealing with this horrible pain in my feet/legs as with my back and hip's to. All these doctors thing there the best and don't make mistakes,,Go see another Dr for a opinion if that would make you feel better. Sorry Porter

That swelling would worry me to death..

Good Luck today[/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-05-2007, 04:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Porter,my best advice to you right now would to try and obtain a sympathetic block on the low back area.they do this down in that area somewhere along the sympathetic chain.up in the neck area,they use the stellate ganglion for this.but this is really the only and best way to try and determine whether or not the pain and symptoms you are having are being sympathetically generated or not.you DO need to determine this one factor in order to recieve the best possible treatment,early on in this the better.

if you actually feel any sort of reaction to this by it lowering your pain or changing it in any way at all,you will know for sure one way or another whether or not this is being generated by some level of sympathetic damage.the SNS chain sits along both sides of the vertebrae so it can be easily hit or affected in some way during any actual surgery along the spinal column.you just need to really know this for sure.

that physiatrist i mentioned to you would be able to refer you to an anesthsiologist who can dothis procedure.like i mentioned before,this really is a great diagnostic tool.this can also help with your pain too.but you need this evaluated by someone who is neutral with no investment in you.it will be much much easier to get into a physiatrist than any sort of actual surgeon.surgeons are ooky about previous surgeries where a physiatrist is just an expert in nerve/muscle issues and would have that level of expertise with Dxing RSD.just ask the place when you call about what level of actual RSD knowledge that particular physiatrist has.

or,just calling another ortho and tell them you just need a second opinion on a possible RSD creating itself within your lower leg.tell them you are not looking for an actual surgery but need an evaluation done on that extremity for diagnosis only.also being referred to a good pain clinic would help as well,there they do have their own anesthesiologists on staff and would be able to do an eval on you.along with that block.you can be seen at a pain clinic just for an eval and possible injection.my primary did this for me when i was having severe under the shoulder blade pain.just an eval and trigger point injections.i wasn't an actual patient there at that time either.that didn't happen til a few years later after my spinal cord surgery caused all my hell to occur.the pain clinic would probably be even a better idea considering the need for pain care too.they would be able to really do the best possible treatments and overall care for you right now.you just really need a dx at this time and then someone to help you deal with this pain crap too.i do think this would be your 'one stop' place to go actually.like i said,you CAN be just referred for that eval and injection just by your actual primary doc.your surgeon doesn't even have to be notified or anything.he will probably find out at some point but quite frankly he cannot offer you these types of services and you DO need much better pain control right now.i just think this would be the ideal way to do this.i would be so totally lost and in constant agony without my pain doc right now.he litterally saved my life quite frankly as things were not going well til i went to him as a regular patient.the pain was just way too torturous for me to actually even try and deal with without his level of expertise in all areas of pain management.

i DO wsh you all the luck in the owrld porter,you really do need specialized care right now and that actual Dx of where or what is triggering this level of hell in your leg.please keep us posted.believe me when isay, i DO feel your pain hon.take care,marcia

Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]Sorry I forgot to ask how many weeks out of surgery are you ?[/B][/COLOR][QUOTE=shawley;2837054][COLOR="Blue"][B]
Porter,
Hey bud , All the pain your describing is the same thing I'm going through..No I don't have the swelling..That would scare the heck out of me..You sure that's not a clot ? I can't believe they wait so long for that test, jeez...

I'm serious my first surgery I had no leg pain or feet pain , my second surgery I woke up in hell , the pain was so bad in my feet...My wife grabbed them to rub them and I screamed , my doctor told me that it will go away it's from bumping them and stuff ,well it never went away.Now I'm dealing with this horrible pain in my feet/legs as with my back and hip's to. All these doctors thing there the best and don't make mistakes,,Go see another Dr for a opinion if that would make you feel better. Sorry Porter

That swelling would worry me to death..

Good Luck today[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Porter,
I hope you're swelling is improving. I want to throw my two cents worth in. I've had swelling in my ankles since surgery, more on the left than the right. No one could figure out why. My doctor was baffled, but at 4 1/2 months post-op, he assured me that it would not be from a blood clot because of the length of time it had been since surgery. My PT also didn't have any ideas why I would still be so swollen. Mind you, I did not have the discoloration you have, and I didn't have the extreme pain you're having. Mine hurt, but it seemed to be just from the swelling itself.

Then I started weaning out of my brace. By the time I was up to two hours a day out of it, the swelling was significantly less. When I got to three hours a day out of it, the swelling was minimal. When I got to five hours out of it, the swelling was all but gone. But I weaned too fast for several days and put myself into an awful lot of pain. I took a day off from weaning, then went back to two hours. Guess what? The swelling came back! It was bad again for a couple of days, and is now subsiding again as I am out of the brace for three hours a day now. So the brace was what was causing my ankles to swell all that time. Strange, but even though I don't wear it at night, the swelling never went down during sleep. It seems that I need to be up and moving around, getting my circulation going without the brace on for the swelling to go down.

I don't think your brace is your whole problem, but I wonder if it's contributing. Just something to consider.

Your doctor sounds like an insensitive jerk! When your first doctor comes back from his emergency, can you switch back to his care?

Take care,
Emily

Closed Thread