It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Diet Dr. Pepper L5/S1 - Fusion Recovery Pt. 2

March 4 - 4 weeks 3 days out from surgery

Everyone

I had the worst of all nights last night. I was up and on meds around the clock. 2 percocets every 4 hours with soma. Not good. Back was fine. It was the legs - not my right leg - both legs cramping and hurting something fierce. A very deep cramping that feels so familiar to part of my presurgical complaints. We tried bengay and massages to no avail.

I still am feeling that familiar pain this morning. Clover, you know how you felt like crying. Well I am right with you Sister. I think today is my day. If this pain doesn't go away I think I might jump off a cliff. Anyone want to join me??

Sorry for being so negative/ranting. I just need to get this out. Before someone loses their head.

How is everyone else doing??

Old 03-04-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: Diet Dr. Pepper L5/S1 - Fusion Recovery Pt. 2

Oh Diet I am so sorry...I hope you have found some relief and are resting..did you overdo anything yesterday? Or maybe its just everything healing? Have you tried heat on your legs? Just wondering...I wish I could tell you something to make you feel better. I will send more prayers your way....sorry buddy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thanks Vette, we were outside. I stood and sat alot in my puter chair outside and watched everyone do yard work. I did do something and I am not sure if that contributed to the problem or not. I sweep about 10 to 20 feet of our deck and decided that it was not the best idea. That may be the problem.

I am getting really nervous about my Mom leaving. I am such a big baby. Today we are going to the grocery store to stock up on more groceries. I will drive a motorized cart. I shouldn't but I need to make sure everything is in order before she leaves on Thursday morning. Can you tell that I need to have totally control of everything??

Thanks for the prayers and sweetie I am praying for you.....only a few more days and it will be your turn to get fixed.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: So sorry to hear about your pain... But sweeping is murder on your back especially since you are only 4 weeks post op. Do you have a tens unit that you could use?

I've had 7 fusions, and am 3 years post op since the last, and sweeping, vacuuming, mopping etc kill me still. Hopefully you will be able to do these things later on but at 4 weeks, you're asking for trouble. I know how hard it is to not do certain things but you have to wait some time for the healing to occur before you do anything where you push and pull and bend with your back.

Hope tomorrow is better and you get along okay!!!

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-07-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Desertbloom -- I think it was just one of those stupid moments and I really didn't think much of it. I am done......I will just sit and be a pretty princess from this moment forward.

I guess it is just meds around the clock for me today.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi 123... Don't feel stupid, we all do stuff like this because we are frustrated from sitting-or I should say lying around. I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. Even when I know something will make the pain worse, I sometimes do it anyway, especially if know no one else can do it.

Just be careful, because you don't want to mess up the surgery. Have you ever tried lidoderm patches? They are non narcotic patches that release lidocaine to the area you apply it for 12 hours. When I'm having a real bad day or night I use those, ice, or heat and the tens unit.

Hope you do okay with your mom gone, but I'm sure you will. I know it's really hard to let go of control, especially when you can't move around much, but if you can let go of it for awhile it will help.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I don't have tens and I have never tried those patches. Are they over the counter??

Old 03-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Sienna"][B]
Hi Pepper,
Just checking in to see how all my buddies are today , doesn't look like your having a good weekend ? What did I tell you about jumping off cliff's without me ?

The patches you need a script for. You should have a tens unit for relief.( temporary relief) The patches never did anything for me.

My family is at my daughter's cheerleading contest , I can't stand the pain to sit through all that. I was going to go and take my ten's unit with me but my wife even said there's no way I'll be able to stand it.. I feel rotten cause I didn't go. I'm sure my daughter understands..

Hope your day gets brighter and pain free. [/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
(female)

OnHold HB User

Dear Dr. Pepper, remember you're only 4 weeks out. This too shall pass, and you WILL feel better. No jumping off cliffs - what would we do without you?!

Find something peaceful to get your mind on in the meantime. We're praying for you!

Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;2835772]I don't have tens and I have never tried those patches. Are they over the counter??[/QUOTE]

Hi: If you're interested in the tens unit, which does help a lot, see if your insurance will pay for it. If they won't, you can get a pretty good one for around 100.00. They won't eliminate the pain, but they do help a lot. I don't know what I would do without mine. If you're going to PT, they will use one, and might let you take one home for the duration of your therapy. You can also buy one thru PT usually or just get one at a medical supply or off the net.

The lidoderm patches are thru rx only. Most insurances cover the price, but if your's doesn't they're expensive, because they only come in brand name. I like them for nerve and muscle pain, and they are easy to get on relatively flat surfaces like your back, leg etc. They are an adhesive patch about 6x8 inches. If you have a smaller area, of pain, you can cut them in half, but you can't save them once you open the package it comes in.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 03-04-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]

Patches didn't work for my nerve pain , figure's it wouldn't ,does anything work in my favor ? The ten's unit gives me great releif for a couple minutes only, after it's off 5 minutes pain is back , but that 5 min was awsome
Thinking about plugging mine into the wall for more power [/COLOR]

Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shawley: In my case the patches didn't work all the time, but enough to make them useful, and what I noticed, is the closer the pain was to the epidermis the better they work. I knew some patients who said they didn't help at all, and some who thought they did, so I guess it just depends. I never tried them for post surgical pain, because I didn't know about them then. With me the tens works as long as it's on then fades within 20 minutes or so depending on how bad it hurts. I like the stronger muscle stim they use at PT, but I was told they won't sell you one of those I don't know why they don't look hard to figure out to me.

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-07-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I wonder if I plugged my leg in the wall if it would feel better. LOL

I will be calling my doc tomorrow if I don't get some relief soon. The legs are just being a pain in the ....................

Old 03-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]
Pepper ,your gonna shock yourself You could try holding 2 medal rods in the outlet's ? Maybe the shock will take the pain away..lol

Becareful with them meds ! [/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley - I am being so careful with my meds....I think of your situation and many others. This nerve cramping ............I would take the shooting sciatia pain over the cramping.

I have tried walking, heat, bengay, hot water, massages, etc.

I won't jump off a cliff or stick anything into an outlet but I am looking for any suggestions.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-04-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Closed Thread