It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User
Ok, post surg folks, nerve pain waking up...

Help guys, every since yesterday, the areas that had numbness in my right leg are now having severe nerve pain. It is burning, stinging, when clothing, blankets touch it, I want to jump thru the cieling. Is this normal and how long does it last. Is there anything I can put on it to reduce the sensitivity of the skin? Pain meds not touching it. I was hoping that someone out there has already been through this and could offer some suggestions. Other than that I have been feeling better each day. Please help with the nerve sensitivity... thanks, Usta

Old 03-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Ok, post surg folks, nerve pain waking up...

Try arthritis cream such as bengay -- not on any open wound!! DH has also massaged mine and we have tried the heating pad.

Has your doctor given you a muscle relaxant? If so take it, it will help some with the cramping.

Take care - right now I have nerve cramping in my legs and I am about ready to jump off a cliff.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-04-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I can relate as I have had the deep charlie horse feeling since surgery. The muscle relaxers help and I certainly can tell when it is time to take them.
I spent yesterday with the heating pad and resting and feel better today. My Dr. said it was because of repositioning the muscles and all the nerves in the skin layers that were cut. They have a tendecy of regenerating very fast and makes the skin sensitive to touch.

Hopefully you will get relief soon

Old 03-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
(female)

sheri42 HB User

Hello,
I can totally relate to that. I had severe sensitivity in my left foot and a few areas in my right. I could not even wear socks. You are feeling the sensory nerves comming back and they are sending pain messages. Very normal, Now what to do? I dont think any cream or topical anestetic will help, because it will about kill you to rub the areas.

I did put lidocain patches on my areas of sensitivity,with little help. I did go on neurotin and it was a miracle. The burning, stabbing and sensitivity all went away. I could actually wear socks and shoes while on neurotin. I think I was on the neurotin for about 3 months, then I slowly tapered off to see if the sensitivity would come back. It didnt. The pain was so excruciating that even the air from the ceiling fan hitting my foot, made me break out in a sweat.
Sheri

Old 03-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Personally, I have found Bengay to be painful when first put on but in minutes it actually feels very good. With that said, I always have hubby put it on for me so that I don't have to bend.

Last edited by ms_west; 03-04-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
(male)

picnica HB User

Still recovering from that. It redefines the pain scale. The only thing that works for me is ace bandages and Lidocane patches. Ace bandages stop all the rubbing. I also up the dose of Neurotin and once a week I am getting lidocane and marcane epidural injections. If you don't have the patches solarcane works well. What procedure did you have? A hot bath works great. Only it's temporary. Good luck

Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
(female)

ldebruin HB User

Hi there,
I can totally relate to the nerve [COLOR="Red"]pain[COLOR="red"][COLOR="Black"]I had ankle fusion surgery on February 12th. I thought the post surgery pain was awful, then came the pain with the plaster cast rubbing on the ankle bone, wow painful. I was so happy to get the plaster cast off, only to have the night from hell with what I believe to be nerve pain, first there was numbness throughout my big toe, then "the wakening" holy cow I never felt anything like it. I've had three children, no pain meds, and this was much worse, and being a weekend, no Dr.s around, so tomorrow I hope to get some answers. Thanks for all the ideas posted, and I'll keep reading.
Lila

Old 03-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Usta,

are you on any type of nerve pain med, like neurontin or lyrica? If not, ask your dr. about it. The neurontin worked great for me.

Take care

Old 03-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

HI there. I had the nerve pain set in on me about 2 weeks post op where it really got bad. And about a week post op, the bad leg cramps began.

I tried Neurontin & Lyrica.. and seem to be allergic, soooo I had to tough out my nerve pain.

But the leg cramps were taken care of by just going and getting a calcium/magnesium supplement. Took the cramps away and they didnt return.
The body really gets all out of whack and stripped of some very important things and calcium is needed in order for the muscles to relax.

I did try the lidocaine patches on my legs.. got minor relief. I tried BIOFREEZE which is a more hopped up gel type analgesic that is used in PT offices. My PM doctor started me on this stuff awhile back and I didnt like it before the surgery, and now I use it on my new sciatica and pain and it does offer some nice relief. The best part of this stuff is that once it dries.. you don't smell like a mint factory, but the stuff keeps on working.. and longer than the bengay, etc. You can't get this stuff in stores but it is sold online.

If you can take a nerve med...it's worth trying to get some relief. It was no fun toughing it out on my own. Taking this stuff now will also give your body a chance to adjust to it NOW instead of later, if/when you all try to return to work.

Hang in there.. I know how you all feel. It does ease up, but it takes some time. You are all in my thoughts. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
(female)

ustalaughalot HB User

Thanks all, I was beginning to think oh, now what. The surgical pain has been improving daily. This nerve thing is a totally different monster. The Flexeril the MD gave me isn't doing anything. I did still have some Lyrica left, I just took some so hopefully it will last thru getting to sleep tonight. Does is last long? It is only in the knee and lower front and inside of right leg where pre surgery was numb. Like do I need another prescription of something to get thru it or will it go away in a few days. I have about two doses of Lyrica left. Is it the nerves in the back that they cut getting to the disc or is it just the fact that the nerves have been depresses for several weeks and are just beginning to function correctly like pre pressure syndrome. I didn't see this one coming, so thanks for knowing what I'm talking about. Wearing socks, pants or blankets in bed right now are not happening... I posted earlier, thanking you all for the suggestions, but I don't see it here now, so if it mysteriously re-appears, just disregard it. Oh, one more question, I've been trying to walk more, mostly inside the house, but a little outside today and two times my right leg nearly gave out on me, didn't support my weight. It didn't hurt, it just didn't want to stand up to holding me. I didn't fall, it just scared me a little. I guess this is normal too? MD didn't tell me to use a walker or cane but I don't want to fall. Any suggestions for strengthening the right leg to better handle this? He said it may take several weeks for full strength to return to the right leg... I sure am glad that you all are out there to help those of us that haven't been down certain roads. I just hope that in the future I can be of just as much help as you all have been to me. Thanks again, Usta PS. Clover, how are you doing? Yvette, I hope you aren't getting nervous I feel it in my heart that it will all go well for you.
What kind of beds do you all sleep in, I need a better one for back support and don't want to spend a lot of money on the wrong thing. Thanks again... usda//Diet, I hope you had a good weekend, how long has it been for you now as far as post surgery?

Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

hope you get to feeling better, and find a way to get rid of that nerve pain. I think the neurotin takes a while to start working and build up in your system...

You are doing alot of healing right now, so don't over do-it.

And I am not nervous at the moment lol

Closed Thread