It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

Sophia85 HB User
Amitriptyline

So the doc at the VA hospital just added Amitriptyline to my mix of topamax, ibuprofin, tylenol 3, and cymbalta yesterday. We're hoping that this takes care of some of the nerve pain thats going on in my left leg and some of the pins and needles feeling in my left foot.

So have any of you taken Amitriptyline and if so has it worked for you and what side effects did you have?

Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User
Re: Amitriptyline

Hi Sophia,

I have taken the Amitriptyline for about 3 years to help me sleep. It works really good for me. In the morning I feel well rested as long as I don't have interupted sleep, like someone calling at the crack of dawn or someone waking me up.

I hope it works as good for you. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi Sophia

I took Amitriptyline for about 8 months.
It made me very tired at first an helped abit with my nerve pain but have gone onto Gabapentin to see if i get better results.

Hope it helps you.

bEST WISHES

Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
(female)

jennyjendog HB User

I took Amitriptyline for 6 months to help with chronic headaches and IC. It worked great! The only bad thing, it caused a significant appetite increase causing me to gain weight quickly. Needless to say, I no longer take the medicine.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I took a low dose for about a year, though I had a couple months break inbetween. For me, it didnt' do a thing for any pain, but it helped me sleep. It was prescribed for me for fibromyalgia, though. And now I'm having doubts that I even have fibro because of another med that did help my pain. I also developed back pain and ended up with spondylosis, ddd, herniated discs and severe central canal stenosis but the amitriptyline (elavil) was not intended to try to treat any of that pain. I was taking it before my back got really bad. When I did take it, I had no side effects at all and there was no kind of withdrawal when I stopped it. I have read that I does help some people, but I guess it depends on how much pain you have, etc..so it probably can't hurt to give it a try. Just make sure you check with your pharmacist to make sure it doesnt interact with any other meds you may take.

Closed Thread