It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 04:59 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sherry1 HB User
Question Weight Problem An What To Do

Hi ALL

I have just been to the doctor an i carnt believe i have put on 2 stone in the last 2 years since i have had a back problem!!!

Is anybody else in this situation?

If you carnt excercise will just a change of diet help?

Any imput would be grateful.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Weight Problem An What To Do

[COLOR="Navy"][B]
Hi Sherry1,
What is 2 stones ? Sorry but here in the U.S. we use pounds .

Far as losing wieght maybe some diet plan or somthing.

Have you ever seen that nuitrasystem plan ? People have 6pak abs and all they do is eat the food .? I can't believe they can air that on the television..

Sorry I can't help you Sherry [/B][/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Hi Sherry - I asked my doctor the same question. I have been seeing a nutritionist. I am eating 1200 - 1500 cal a day. I eat breakfast, three hours later small snack,three hours later lunch, three hours later snack, three hours later dinner. I am eating more fiber and whole grains, proteins and calcium. And of course fruit and veggies. I am also drinking 80oz of water everyday. I am also walking. I am losing about 3 pounds a week. If I was just doing the food and water I would be losing about 2 pounds a week. The trick is staying with it! It has not felt like a diet. And I am eating better than I think I ever have!!! If you want a few sample menus I will be happy to give you some. I know how frustrating it is back pain and weight gain/loss is!!!! hope this helps!!

Rose healing well at 10 weeks from L4 - S1 TLIF

Last edited by xzx; 03-05-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

[QUOTE=jennii42000;2837132]Hi Sherry - I asked my doctor the same question. I have been seeing a nutritionist. I am eating 1200 - 1500 cal a day. I eat breakfast, three hours later small snack,three hours later lunch, three hours later snack, three hours later dinner. I am eating more fiber and whole grains, proteins and calcium. And of course fruit and veggies. I also drink 80oz water everday. I am also walking. I am losing about 3 pounds a week. If I was just doing the food & water I would be losing about 2 pounds a week. The trick is staying with it! It has not felt like a diet. And I am eating better than I think I ever have!!! If you want a few sample menus I will be happy to give you some. I know how frustrating it is back pain and weight gain/loss is!!!! hope this helps!!

Rose healing well at 10 weeks from L4 - S1 TLIF[/QUOTE]

Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
(female)

sbbo97 HB User

Hi Sherry,
Yes - a change of diet WILL help. Like Jennii42000 said, watch what you eat and be sure to drink a lot of water. I would steer clear of any of the slim-fast type drinks and focus on whole foods. Not only will they fill you up more, they contain many more nutrients than a lot of the processed foods out there.

Eating 4-6 smaller meals about every 3 hours or so is a good rule of thumb.

Don't worry... you should have some success if you simply change your eating habits. They say what you eat (and don't eat) is about 80% of any successful weight-loss (although I prefer the term fat-loss) plan.

sbb097

Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xzx HB User

Fad diets and pills DO NOT work. With our backs we have to do what we can. So its healthy eating for me and walking. So far I have seen a change in my body ( for the better .

Rose Healing very well at 10 weeks from a L4 - S1 TLIF

Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

I think lots of us are sympathetic to your weight gain. I know I gained weight because I decreased activity over time as the pain increased. Then, I took meds that plumped me up even more. At that point, it's really easy to throw in the towel and eat the cheeseburgers.

BUT! You really can keep your weight under control and it will take concerted effort on your part. Like, buying and preparing low-calorie, filling snacks. And eating them rather than cookies! I make a sack of snacks either the night before or morning of my day and my rule is that I only eat what's in that sack until dinner time.

I also reduced my calorie intake a bit given my reduced activity. That simple math really (sadly?) does the trick. I've added in protein shakes - not super delicious, but they really reduce my cravings for unhealthy snacks.

I use a website to track my daily calories and protein/carb/fat balance. There are several good ones out there and they're worth the about $5-10/month they charge. So for example, if you have a big, rich restaurant lunch, you can see that you might want to go lighter at dinner. Starving doesn't work.

Plain old common sense and maybe some self-forgiveness have helped me lose 10 lbs in the last 2 months. It's not quick, but I do enjoy my jeans fitting a little better!

Best of luck to you - you are not alone in this struggle!
- Margaret

Closed Thread