It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
(male)

Dave109 HB User
One hamstring tighter then the other

I was wondering if one hamstring being tighter then the other can cause a slight form of functional scoliosis. I tested my hamstrings and my right hamstring is definetley tighter then my left. I was wondering if this could cause the pelvis to rotate posteriorly on my right side and since the left hamstring's flexibility is normal the left hip would stay in place. This would cause a right leg shorter then the left leg type syndrome because the right hip would also be pulled down while the left wouldn't which would result in minor scoliosis. While doing a bridge exercise with my shirt off I noticed that my left rib (about 6th rib) was protruding farther out then my right. I read up and figured that this was a form of minor scoliosis because of the rotation of the spine. The ribcage is attached to the spine and as the spine rotates so does the rib cage. This results in clockwise rotation viewed posteriorly a left protruding rib (rib hump) in the front of body and a right protruding rib in the back of body. If this is the case it's amazing what just one very tight hamstring can do.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
(male)

Davesport HB User
Re: One hamstring tighter then the other

Based on what you've said, I'm going to sort of shoot in the dark here so you will have at least my response. It seems in your case, the scoliosis would be the result of muscle tightness or imbalance. A doctor wouldn't consider what you are describing as a scoliosis "desease" though, just an imperfect curve. If it is simply a twist, it could be you need an "alignment" which maybe could be accomplished through strectching and excercises that promote equal bilateral strength.

It could be one hamstring is tighter because of a back muscle is staying tight in response to a problem. Probably a minor problem, but going too long with a minor problem is not good though. You are clearly on to the fact that one thing is tied to another. The hams are strong and are connected to your back in a few ways. Watch your posture and stretch gently - it sounds like something is not happy. You want to keep your spine a happy place, even if its not perfect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
(male)

Dave109 HB User

thanx for the reply.

Yeah what I'm trying to get at is the fact that [I]one[/I] hamstring is significantly tighter then the other. My right hamstring is indeed more tight then my left. It seems as though my left hamstring has normal flexibility while my right is tight. This in my uneducated opinion would pull back and down on my right pelvis while my left stayed in its relative position. This would cause a high hip on my left side due to the fact that the right hip was being pulled down and back. This in turn would lead to a slight curve of the spine and naturally rotation which I am seeing in my slight rib hump. I finally have an appt on Thursday so we'll see how far we can get. I want to get as much information as possible answered due to the fact that I don't have health insurance.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Dave,
I think the other Dave gave you a very good answer. I'll just add that this may be a case of which came first, the chicken or the egg? In other words, is the uneven tight hamstring causing a scoliosis type of problem, in which case you'd need to figure out why one is tighter than the other. Or is the scoliosis causing the tight hamstring, in which case you'd need to figure out what is causing the scoliosis (if that's what it is) and what course of treatment would be appropriate.

Either way, you're going to need at least some basic x-rays. Without medical insurance, you might be able to go through you're local health department to be seen at least on a sliding scale, if not for free. You do want to get the ball rolling and nip this in the bud, if that's possible. At any rate, you don't want to let it just get worse and worse.

I wish you the best.
Emily

Closed Thread