It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

Jungleland HB User
4 weeks post op

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="3"]Hi there,
I am 4 weeks out from surgery. Amazing, I am still weak and tire very easily. I thought I'd be much further in my recovery than this by now. In home nursing isn't too concerned, she said this is normal for ME. I am walking without the walker about half the time, mostly because it is a pain and also sometimes I forget!! PT is going well, they are adding new exercises each week. This past week was a pretty big jump in the exercise routine and I am doing pretty well with it.

I still am not driving, not confident enough yet that my right leg will do what it is supposed to do. Still having intermittent numbness and sciatica, nothing like before surgery, but it is still there.

Main thing I am having problems with is depression. I know this is normal but I also know it is slowing down my recovery. I can't quite see past this sorta "limbo" I am in with DH dropping kids off, cooking, cleaning, etc. Feeling less that a person and not liking it one bit.

Anyone have any good ideas to help get me out of the gloom and doom of the "waiting game" of getting rehabed?

Thanks,
Vickie[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Diskectomy in 1994 L4-5
Re-do emergency L4-5 diskectomy on 2/11/07

Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
(female)

Jungleland HB User
Re: 4 weeks post op

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="3"]P.S. How much are you guys walking? Are you able to go out, such as trips to the store, with help? I am feeling soooo housebound right now, I really need to get out of here. My first doc post op appt is Friday, that will be a half an hour car ride and I am excited to get out of the house just for that, lol!! Just want some opinions of what others are doing 4 weeks out from surgery. Am I babying myself too much?

Thanks again,
Vickie[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Diskectomy in 1994 L4-5

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi! I think you are pretty much doing the normal recovery thing. I will be 5 weeks out on Thursday. I am not doing any PT period. My surgeon does not believe it is necessary for the first 12 weeks at least. Only walking 300 - 400 feet a day. In the house, I do not use my walker unless I am tired; however, I defintely use it out in public.

I have been out 4 times; however, I use my walker and a motorized cart. One hour is about the most I can handle.

There is no way, I would drive at this point even if my doctor allowed it. I do not have the strength or energy. I also could not imagine braking either.

As far as being weak and tired, I so understand. I am the same way. I need to take naps during the day frequently.

Also the more active I am the more meds I require.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
(female)

Jungleland HB User

Diet,

Thanks for the reply and understanding. Just having a super down day and need to know that this is normal. I have not had an outing yet, just getting in and out of the car is a nightmare, have tried several times. Want to go hit Walmart, my "baby" is starting a spec ed preschool on Wednesday and would love for her to go in new clothes, new backpack, lunch box, etc. Can't see that happening and it is just deepening the depression. DH is useless when it comes to clothes shopping.

Just got a hold of a friend and she will come by later today to keep me company for a bit.

I didn't even have the fusion I thought I would be having, was just a microdiskectomy L4-5 with major clean up. It was the complications after surgery that have slowed down my recoup time. Then, last week, I just couldn't stand it and I vaccumed the living room, angry at the time so I had horrible posture while doing it. Have paid dearly for that stupid decision since, and have gotten yelled at my nurse, pt, ot and hubby! Can't sit for long, can't lie down for long, can't stand for long.

Are you still needing your pain meds as much as in the beginning? I tried using 800 mg Motrin only during the day and saving the "hard stuff" Oxycodone for night time over the weekend and now I am feeling worse. So, started back on everything today, along with my Soma and Amitriptyline and Paxil. Feeling like a druggy and hating this.

Sorry to go on and one, guess I am just very needy today.

Hugs,
Vickie
Diskectomy in 1994 L4-5

Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am taking 2 to 4 percocets and 2 soma's per day.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
(male)

picnica HB User

Jungle, I am 4 weeks post op from endoscopic discectomy, I had two levels done. I am exhausted. I will sleep 3X a week 14 hours. As far as depression, I think anyone who has the pain we all do will be fighting it. I think this forum helps, because really all of us understand. This problem we all have, strips us away all of our daily routines. Makes us rely upon other people and most of all people see us out and about on good days, but the bad days we stay home, so they think we are not that bad. Also I hear about taking too many pain killers, and that stuff, and so on. If these people had our pain they would be crying in bed. Find something that you like to do. I distract myself with video games. I also have the greatest wife in the world and 3 kids who keep me on my toes.
There are allot of great people here who can give you ideas on how they cope with it and maybe it can help you.
Feel better.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I keep hearing that six weeks is a huge turn around post-op...that would mean your almost there. I hope you get to feeling better, I am sure its tough to get through...and just think someday this will all be a memory When you are out living your life again. Just keep invisioning the future....

Closed Thread