It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

bailey07 HB User
March Madness

March 27 is my big day with ALIF of L4/5 and L5/S1. Harmony, I know you have the same procedure on the same day. How are you doing? I am getting nervous, my son-in-law and husband moved the couch into the TV room this weekend. Don't think lying in a loveseat constitutes laying flat. Also, saw my two wonderful grandaughters and sure will miss not getting to hold them. I was reading a story to my year-old gd and my 11/2 year-old gd crawled into my lap. She wasn't satisfied sitting next to me. Love em! I am really hoping to go back to work in 6 weeks, is this not realistic? Sounds like most are off longer periods of time. Would anyone want to share when you got to go back to work? Lot's to do in three weeks. I so enjoy reading your posts. Later.
Bailey07

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kkmom HB User
Re: March Madness

Hello Bailey I do not know much about the surgery you are having, but I wanted to wish you the best for your upcoming surgery. Also Harmony, i wish you the best also. You both are in my prayers.
Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Bailey,
I had the anterior/posterior procedure, multi level, back in the end of September. I am not able to work at this time, as my job was way too physical. In fact, my doctor has told me that I shouldn't return to my former line of work at all. At 5 months post-op, I couldn't even imagine doing the kind of work I used to do. My girlfriend who had a single level fusion a week before Christmas, her second fusion, just went back to work at 8 weeks post-op to a desk job doing half-days. She's having a hard time! I do think it's unrealistic to expect to go back to work after only 6 weeks, but some here have done it and have handled it well. It depends on you and your particular job. If you do go back so quickly, make sure you have your meds on hand, your grabber, your ice pack and/or heating pad if those are helpful to you, and that you can get up and move around as needed. You would probably not be very happy, but you could do it if you had to. It would be much better to stay home and rest if you can.

My two cents worth...

How are you doing? Are you feeling anxious? Feeling ready and just wanting to get it done? At peace about it all? As far as the love seat, well, you'll just have to see what will work for you. If you have a brace, you might find cushiony surfaces difficult to sit on. I was able to sit on the kitchen chairs or lie on my bed. Nothing else was really comfortable. If you don't have a TV in your bedroom, that would be a good investment. You're going to just want to lie down as much as possible for several weeks or longer.

Enjoy those dear grandchildren! They'll have to understand that you've got some limitations for a while, but they'll be back in your arms before too long. What a joy they must be to you, and it sounds like you are to them, too!

Blessings,
Emily

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 03-06-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Bailey,

We put up a spare day bed that we had (x-long twin) in the family room. I found that the sofa was not firm enough to lay on. Becuase it had cusions in the seat, i tended to sink into those areas. I laid with my brack on, but that didn't work very well either.

We still have the bed up because I find that laying down gives me more relief than sitting. I do sit, but eventually I end up on the bed. Besides that, it's real hard to sleep sitting up!

just a suggestion......

jill[/COLOR]

Closed Thread