It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
(male)

bmw0323 HB User
Question normal life after surgery

Been having back proplems for years and found out last month that I have pars defect spondylothesis grade 2 30% compressed disk. They want to do a Laminectomy- fusion at L5-S1. All I have read are bad things has anyone returned to doing what they did before? Like running, walking ,jogging ,hockey workingon cars ect? I have a little problem with my left leg being weaker than right. My butt is sore both sides. I cant lay on my back without alot of pain. My back though is very painful when I move just right its a shootting pain.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User
Re: normal life after surgery

I am getting ready to have fusion this week. I have read alot of positive outcomes. I think alot of times in regaurds to the boards, alot of people who aren't having problems anymore...dont' tend to hang out here..they are off doing the things you listed -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

My doctor told me to never plan on running again. It is his opinion that I will be better off walking because running does nothing more than jarring the back.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]

Bmw,
Welcome to the boards . Get this in your head right now , NO HOCKEY only vidoe hockey from here on out bud. Running ? I doubt it very much. I can see you able to work on cars ,but no lifting.

Think of it this way , your in a whole lot of pain now right ? Well after the surgery your pain will probably be alot less than it was, it was for me until my 3rd surgery maybe my 2nd ? Before my first surgery I couldn't stand or lay on my stomach , now I can't stand long and can't lay on my back or right side and can't sleep on my stomach. Take the good with the bad. I also have spondy and had a laminectomy and fusion L4-L5 but I'm very glad I had the surgery because before it I was in more pain..Your just gonna have to take it easy. You'll never be back 100% but I think you'll be glad you had it done. Really what can you do now ? Sorry you have to go through all this. Like Pepper /Yvette said there PROBABLY is people who is 100% and never come back here and talk to us. Good Luck with your surgery and life.

We'll keep you in our Prayer's[/B][/COLOR]

Old 03-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

Yeah when I re-read your post, let me take that back...you could be jogging and lifting stuff..but in my opinion just because you can doesnt' mean you should. Once healed who wants to take that chance of re-injury or overstressing other discs....Walking yah..jogging no...atleast not for me.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Your life will be normal, but it will just be a new type of normal. Normal to back surgery folks has a different definition than non surgical folks. Normal is life with certain restrictions.....

And who is to say that our normal isn't the real normal and everyone else is off? hhhhhmmmm? think on that one![/COLOR]

Closed Thread