It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

hugg724 HB User
Some suggestions to prepare for dr appts./surgery

This may have been covered but since I am new and reading posts, I thought I would offer some suggestions on how to make the most of your dr. visit.

1. TAKE THOROUGH NOTES. Get out that pad and paper and write down EVERYTHING your dr. states. Don't be afraid to ask him to repeat it.

2. When you get home RESEARCH everything he has told you so you can further understand what is going on.

3. If you have an MRI (or other scans), make sure you get a copy of your radiologist report from your imaging clinic. These are generally availble 24 - 48 hours after the MRI. These are YOUR records so they have to be released to you upon request. Once you have your MRI, ****** everything that may be abnormal or that you don't know what the term means and WRITE NOTES.

4. Make a list of EVERY question you may have. Take your list to your doctor for your next appt. If you don't have an appt scheduled soon, don't hesitate to call him or his nurse to ask the questions. Remember, its YOUR body and if you spend an hour asking questions, SO WHAT.....that's the doctor's job to answer your questions. He gets paid the same if you spend 5 minutes or an hour with him. If you aren't comfortable with his answer, ask him to explain it in layman's terms.

RESEARCH and knowledge of what your situation is will be the key to not only understanding what may be going on but also preparing you mentally for a successful recovery.

I literally had 3 pages of questions for my NS. He sat down with me after grinning and said, I see you have done your "homework". He went through very patiently with me and answered my questions so I could make the best decision for me and my situation. This included the pros and cons.

The reason I am suggesting this is because not only have I gone through this with my neck and back, I was in employee benefits for 20 years. I had many "educational seminars" with employees on how to make the most of their doctor visit. It's amazing how many walk out with questions unanswered and if you ask what the dr said, they tell you, "I'm not real sure."

I hope this might help someone out there

Jami in TN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
(male)

picnica HB User
Re: Some suggestions to prepare for dr appts./surgery

All good stuff, just add one thing. You are the person getting repaired all of them speed through the visit. Make them explain to you and ask every question. Also ask them for there plan to treat your type of problem. I was stupid the first time and just let the doctor dictate and I suffered.

Closed Thread