It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

painfulback HB User
how should i prepare for back surgrey

hello all,
i was wondering if any one could give a list of things i need to bring to hospital and what i should have at home to make it as easy as possiable ?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: how should i prepare for back surgrey

[COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the board.

If you look at the top of the board, you will find a sticky with helpful tips on it. It will be a big help. Also if you check through the postings you can find alot of useful information.

It would probably help if we knew what kind of surgery you are having. How you heal and what you need changes from one type of surgery to another.

You have come to the right place for help. Welcome..[/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

painfulback HB User

thank you!! iam having a diskectomy on the L3 AND L4 AND L5 ARE BEING FUSED

Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I just answered your other post, too. Things to take to the hospital? Hmmm, not much, really. I had books, but I never read them. I had cd's, but I never listened to them. I had a robe, but I never wore it. I did use my slippers.

Some people have taken a silky type robe to the hospital so they could turn more easily. I had so many tubes, etc., for so long that I needed to have the hospital gown that snaps open and closed at the shoulders. When it was finally time to get up (day 5), I wore a hospital robe over the gown. I was wanting my cuddly robe, but once I got home and it was still all nice and clean, I was glad I hadn't used it while I was still having drainage from my incisions, etc. It was really no big deal at all to just use the hospital togs.

So take with you:
slippers;
clothing you can get into easily after surgery (sweat pants, button up shirt);
a cotton t-shirt for under your brace, if you're getting one;
slip on shoes or plan to wear your slippers home;
toothbrush;
hairbrush or comb;
little notebook to record questions that you want to remember to ask, etc.;
list of any meds you're already on to give to the OR prep nurses.

That's really all I can think of that you need to take with you. PT will make sure you can get around before you get discharged. They may send you home with a walker. They'll make sure you can get up and down stairs, plus they'll make sure you know how to transport your walker with you up and down the stairs if you need one. OT will come in and show you all sorts of toys like a sock tool, dressing tool (I found the grabber was easier to use than the dressing tool for pants, etc.), portable commode, long shoe horn, etc. They may or may not give you some of those, depending on your insurance company. You might want to find out ahead of time about the commode or a toilet riser. I had to wait several days to get mine from the home OT, and it was really hard to get up and down in the bathroom. We put a little piece of furniture on each side of the toilet to grab onto so I wouldn't have to call someone to help me back up! The commode sets right over your own toilet, so no emptying needed. It made a world of difference having that extra height.

You'll get a good flavor for what it's like to recover from fusion surgery as you read through some of the threads. It's good that you're getting yourself prepared! It will pay off later to do as much as you can ahead of time and will give you peace of mind.

Blessings,
Emily

Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

painfulback HB User

thanks blue

Closed Thread