It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User
Artificial Disc Vs. Fusion

I am just wondering for all of you who have had fusions, why did you chose this route vs. artificial disc?

I am torn between these two...articficial disc looks like the answer but I am not sure. HELP!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Artificial Disc Vs. Fusion

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]
Actually had no choice , I broke my Lamina ( spondy) so an artificial wouldn't work ,wish I could of [/B][/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
(male)

DanSSwing HB User

Fortunately, I haven't had to have either...YET. But I would definitely go for the artificial disc first because if that doesn't work, you have the fusion to fall back on. Once you have fusion, that's it.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I to didn't have a choice. That is the surgery I was convinced to wait for pending fda approval etc. But sometime in there my vertebrae started to slip aka spondyolethesis...then I was ruled out.

It depends on your condition.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
(male)

crookedback HB User

Hey Gates... initially I was really excited about this & still am interested but form the little bit of reseaurchin I've done it is much better for cervical then lumbar & is not approved for 2 levels. I did read a post about a guy who went to a German Clinic (Alphaklinic) where they did a fusion at L5-S1 & an ADR at L5-L4 which sound like he had great results.

If you find out any good news, please let me know.

Take care... Dave!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

I had a choice. I chose ADR.. but my insurance would not pay for it. So I had the fusion instead. No regrets.. my surgeon did an outstanding job!

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
(female)

blackcloud HB User

I tried for 5 years to have Artifical Disc surgery and was in several different types of disc clinical trials, but it kept falling through. I was even scheduled 2x in Germany with Dr. Bertagnoli but for one reason or another that kept being pushed back. Then my PM ordered another MRI because I was having different problems than I normally had and was told that I had deterioration in my facets and didn't want to risk a failed ADR surgery. So I opted to have a 2 level fusion. Turned out to be the best thing I ever did. I am pain free and completely off all pain meds.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
(male)

webdude HB User

I think ADR is not as advanced in the US as it is in Europe. I asked my Neurosurgeon about this, and he said that right now, ADR is alot of hype. But that will probably change as time goes by, and we get better and more advanced. I know that my neighbor had fusion, and was up and about in no time, and a year later, is doing great, with no problems..

Maurizio

Old 03-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

yah very few of our surgeons here have had enough experience, the neurosurgeons even told me not to be the guinea pig..let them get lots of practice. I had one surgeon who I thought was a complete idiot say that he thought adr was a fad...they've been doing it in germany with sucess for over ten years....He just doesn't know how lol.

What kinda neurosurgeon doesn't believe in new technology..geez they should all be trying to figure out whats best and easiet. I steered away from him. I then found a surgeon who does believe in them..but he has only done four...no thank you.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

My surgeon has a lot of experience with the disc. He was part of a proving team. Dr. Giesler...anyone heard of him?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
(female)

isillyme HB User

I had the Prodisc Artifical Disc Replacement in 2003, and it was one of the best things I have done for myself. Before I had this procedure I was told by my Ortho that if I were to have a fusion I would be needing further surgery in the future. I had 3 discs that were degenerating, L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1 the ortho felt that replacing L4-5 he may be able to save the other two discs. It was recently that I have learned that L5-S1 is beginning to go, and showed on xray as such, I am having a Ct Myelogram tomorrow, and to be honest I am freaking out about that, but I knew that L3-4 and L5-S1 would be a problem in the future. L3-4 looks great on x-ray.
Before I had the Prodisc, I was unable to walk, bend, sit, stand , also missed a lot of work etc.... the only function that I have lost, is I am unable to do extension, but I would have to say since the surgery 3 years ago, I can work fulltime, and able to do things that I thought were impossible.
Do a lot of research on the subject before having the surgery done, the ortho did tell me that they were having alot of problems with the CHARITE, so you might want to take further look into that.
One thing I should mention I had an MRI done, every thing there was very abstract that may be the only downside on having ADR

Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

isillyme: I am sorry to hear you are now having problems but encouraged by your response on ADR. What do you mean by everything is abstract?

You and I have very similiar diagnosis except that my l3/l4 is still in decent shape. How are your facet joints? How long was your recovery? What was involved in your recovery?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
(female)

isillyme HB User

The MRI abstract meaning the picture was no longer clear it was blurry, and the disc that was replaced looked warped, talk about freak out factor. However taking the MRI films to the Ortho he took an xray and pointed out that the MRI was giving a very abstract look
Recovery time was I spent three days at the hospital, I don't respond well after having the surgery meaning after effects (anastia) please excuse the spelling for that. As soon as I went home, I spent pretty much a week laying down and not moving much at all at that point.
2nd week did more walking and tried going to the grocery store with my mom highly not recommended, the floors at a grocery store is to much for the spine, and legs. Numbness in my legs went away slowly, however by week 4 I was doing much better. Physical therapy started about 6 weeks out, and I did the PT until February, so about three months total. Every day I began to improve. The best thing my ortho advised me to do was to take my time, and not to overdo things.
Lately my back has been hurting however walking seems to help, however I think I must have twisted weird or something that is when both of my legs had 80,000 pins and needles into the heels thus seeing a Neurosugeon in Atlanta I moved in March 2004 and got a new job (Bonus ) since having the surgery, he wants to take a look at the L5-S1 and see what is going on, so for now I really can't answer about the facet joint.
The ortho in Syracuse NY that I saw was Dr. Yuan, he is a great doctor, and he doesn't hold anything back, so what I will be doing is after I get the CT results etc... I will be taking the films to him.
One thing that I wasn't able to do after the surgery was lifting heavy things, but now I am able to lift more then 5 pounds, but not over 50 pounds. Oh I do want to point out that I was feeling a great deal of pain for about 3 weeks after surgery, but by week 4 noticeable changes the pain level going into having surgery was 10, after 4 weeks down to a 2, I get achy now and then, actually walking 15 minutes the pain was gone. Until recently that is, but I will have to wait on that.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

That sounds like a good recovery and what my doctor quoted. You mentioned pain in your legs, did you have this prior to the surgery or was this completely driven by the disc replacement ( I am not talking about your current state but more about just after the surgery).

I am sorry again how you are feeling now and I hope that you find relief.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
(male)

crookedback HB User

I've heard of a Dr. Geiger here in Mich.

Take care... Dave!

Last edited by crookedback; 03-08-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Closed Thread