It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

Bax77 HB User
Question Truth about DISCOGRAM??

Hi all,

I will be having a discogram in the next few weeks (not soon enough!), and am wondering just exactly it entails...... I've done research online, and understand the actual procedure, but want to know the 'true story' from a patient who's had one performed before... THX

(also, what is the time between a discogram and having surgery??)

Old 03-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Re: Truth about DISCOGRAM??

[SIZE="3"]
Hi,
Your doctor will decide from this discogram when or if you need surgery ,it tells them where the pain is comming from. Usually they do this before a surgery , not for me but I have read other who had it done.

Good Luck[/SIZE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
(female)

bjferge HB User

Hi Barex.
I has a discogram 6 months ago. The proceedure worked well for me. It recreated my symptoms perfectly, showing that surgury would work. It's a painful proceedure but you'll be fine a couple days. And if your like me the pain won't be so bad, because you'll know they finally found the problem.
I had a L4,L5,S1 spinal fussion on 3/8/07, so far no regrets. I'm having some numbness in my legs, but that was do to having to move nerved around, and also to decompressing nerves that have been pinched for 7 years.
If you have any other questions, just let me know!
Bobbi-Jo

Last edited by bjferge; 03-12-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #4
(male)

Dnunan28 HB User

Greetings,

I had a Discogram about 1 1/2 months ago. It was a successful, thankfully something was found. It was advertised to me as a "mildly painful procedure" and that a sedative and pain reliver will be administered via IV prior to the procedure. Well MY experience (it may differ from others) was the most painful thing I have ever had done. I was in tears the whole time and begging for more pain medicine, even after it was over, they refused. (they did find 2 levels bad, fully herniated). At one point the DR jammed a needle in so hard I came up off the table and I think I swore at her to stop jamming the #%$@^ needle in my back and I would...So she did it again to just to make sure she had the right one. I wish no one the pain I had during the Discogram. while they do require some to determine some to be done, I have heard from others that they have not has as bad.

I met with the Neuro guy 2 weeks later and he said I needed the anterior fusion at least 2 and maybe at 3 levels (to be decided when he goes in). But before he can schedule, I first needed to see a general surgeon, to make sure he would approve me as a able candidte for him to do the cutting and moving of things inside me. My Neuro uses him to cut first and move all the guts around before he goes in and does his fusing and gets out and tags the general on the back who closes me back up...So after meeting with them, I have just done so, I have my surgery date for May 1. So almost 4 months for me, start to end, Im sure everyone will have a different experiece and hopefully a better one than myself..I can just hope for a better surgery, both the Doctors come highly recommended, my fingers are crossed!!

Good luck!

Aaron

Closed Thread